Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Knives: Wusthof?

Hiya folks,

Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL

I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.

I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
think I could definitely use another one.

I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
good.

I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.

Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?

Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
knife? I love the high carbon steel....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
news
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.
>
> I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
> I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
> hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
> good.
>
> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.
>
> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....

I have some Wusthoff knives. Mine might not be their typical ones since
they were manufactured specifically for the military stores. I had my set
less than a year when one of the blades snapped off while cutting a somewhat
soft block of cheese. I then checked the other knives and noticed a defect
in another knife. Seems the handles didn't hold up and cracked along the
length of the blade. They replaced two of the knives after many phone calls
to them and writing back and forth. I had to first prove that I had in fact
bought the knives. I had no actual receipt because I mail ordered them. I
had bought the knives in CA and was living in NY when I had the problem with
them. They couldn't decide which address I should send them to.

Eventually I did get the replacements. Took about 3 months. During that
time I needed more knives to use. So I bought cheap ones. The cheap ones
have worked for me every bit as well as the expensive Wusthoff ones. And
guess what? The replacement ones are beginning to crack. I took excellent
care of them too. Always washed them by hand and put them right back in the
knife block.

I would never buy that brand again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.
>
> I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
> I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
> hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
> good.
>
> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.
>
> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....
>
> Christine

We like our "Gerbers", not cheap thou.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
news
> Or should I just try to find another har

I prefer cleavers...small 7 inch for veggies larger 10 inch for meat.
Slices. chops, dices, minces and smashes garlic clove to a fair thee well.

I also find that their wide blade assists in a safer cutting stroke.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.

Henckels makes a fine chef's knife too. Even a set of knives if you
prefer. After looking downthread, I had a Henckel's boning knife snap on
me ten years ago. Macy's replaced it after I found the right person to
talk to. The not-right person insisted on a ten year old receipt.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 9:21 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife.
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....
>
> Christine

I went on a buying spree a few months ago and bought 5 or more
Sabatier knives from

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/sabati...=58&FamilyBD=3

I bought the Grand Chef, if I recall. I've made several orders from
their online site. The knives I bought were all on sale for 50%
off. If you can wait, it's worth it. I saved as much as I spent ;-)

"Each Sabatier Knife and piece of cutlery we carry is of their premium
quality assortment, all made in France. Please be aware of other
Sabatier branded knives that are much less expensive, as those are
outsourced outside of Europe and are not of the same quality and
performance. The Sabatier Grand Chef and Provence series feature fully
forged razor sharp blades made of high carbon stainless steel, while
the Sabatier Au Carbone selection feature fully forged pure carbon
steel blades."

My hands are not strong, so I really like Sabatier. I would like to
have a few high carbon steel (not carbon steel ss) myself, but have
not made up my mind which one to buy.

I've also bought from www.fantes.com and they do have or they are on
back order or did have the Sabatier high carbon.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:58:29 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>My hands are not strong, so I really like Sabatier. I would like to
>have a few high carbon steel (not carbon steel ss) myself, but have
>not made up my mind which one to buy.
>
>I've also bought from www.fantes.com and they do have or they are on
>back order or did have the Sabatier high carbon.
>
>Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee Dee

I love Sabatier. Really, really, really love them. They aren't the
most popular of knives these days, but they fit my hands well.

I first read about them years and years ago from Madeline Kamman. She
talks about her first Sabatier that she got from her aunt, who was a
well known restaranteur in France. Fortunately, I had already gotten
one or two, and I found some more when I was living in the DC area
then. I found a store that had the high carbon steel ones..at
fantastic prices. I wish I had gotten more then. They have lasted
and lasted. Discolored, yes... But such a sharp edge.

I still like the idea of the Wusthof Classic Wide knife. I might even
one. But I think I will order another Sabatier for myself from
Fantes. They have what I want...and I have been looking for some
time. Most places that advertise Sabatier don't have more than the
ham slicer. I know..I have been looking. And they don't have the
high carbon steel.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 11:15 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Thanks, Dee Dee
>
> I love Sabatier. Really, really, really love them. They aren't the
> most popular of knives these days, but they fit my hands well.
>
> I first read about them years and years ago from Madeline Kamman. She
> talks about her first Sabatier that she got from her aunt, who was a
> well known restaranteur in France. Fortunately, I had already gotten
> one or two, and I found some more when I was living in the DC area
> then. I found a store that had the high carbon steel ones..at
> fantastic prices. I wish I had gotten more then. They have lasted
> and lasted. Discolored, yes... But such a sharp edge.
>
> I still like the idea of the Wusthof Classic Wide knife. I might even
> one. But I think I will order another Sabatier for myself from
> Fantes. They have what I want...and I have been looking for some
> time. Most places that advertise Sabatier don't have more than the
> ham slicer. I know..I have been looking. And they don't have the
> high carbon steel.
>
> Christine

DH uses the Wusthof Classic Wide Knife -- we have two sizes. I don't
know what size they are, but they are too awkward and large for me. I
would certainly try them out for size, which I know you will. They
are probably more readily available to try out than Sabatier (as you
well know).

Be sure to let me/us know what particular Sabatier you buy when you
do.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> > knife? I love the high carbon steel....

> > Christine

> We like our "Gerbers", not cheap thou.- Hide quoted text -

Norvin,

Finally, somebody else who owns Gerber kitchen knives. As far as I
know, Gerber was bought-out (I believe by Fiskars) and the new owners
quit making kitchen knives. I'm lucky that I already had a pretty
complete set. (Mine are the Balance Plus.)

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> most popular of knives these days, but they fit my hands well.

That's worth almost more than anything. I spent big bucks for a
Global anD gave it away because the hanDle suckeD.

The only other criteria I think worth consiDering is the ability to
holD an eDge. It's one thing to put an eDge on a knife, it's quite
another for that knife to keep it for any length of time. That is an
inDication of quality. As always, I recommenD LamsonSharp. If you
prefer Sabatier anD it keeps an eDge, that's what you shoulD buy.

nB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >Dee Dee

> Thanks, Dee Dee
>
> I love Sabatier. Really, really, really love >them. They aren't the most popular of knives these days, >but they fit my hands well.

Christine,

That last sentence answers about 95% of the question right there. My
thought is that there are many quality blades out there, so buy the
one that fits your hand the best. You'll be using it for the next
many years, pick the one that feels comfortable in your hand. (That's
why I don't believe in buying knives over the 'net unless you've
already handled them.)

Let us know how you like your new knife/knives.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches.

Don't we all.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:38:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> Hiya folks,
>>
>> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>>
>> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
>> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>>
>> I want at least 10 inches.

>Don't we all.

Smartass.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Smartass.

You'd prefer a dumbass?

Get yer butt in chat!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:09:55 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-07-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>>
>> Smartass.

>You'd prefer a dumbass?
>
>Get yer butt in chat!
>
>nb

I will only be half there if I come. I am doing mandatory testing for
my new contract. I have to complete this by tomorrow.

::::::::Sigh::::::::

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I will only be half there if I come. I am doing mandatory testing for
> my new contract. I have to complete this by tomorrow.
>
>::::::::Sigh::::::::

Ahhhh!... the ol' "I have to study" ploy.

Ok, you get a pass.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:38:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:
> >
> >> Hiya folks,
> >>
> >> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
> >>
> >> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> >> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
> >>
> >> I want at least 10 inches.

> >Don't we all.

> Smartass.
>
> Christine

I didn't have five older brothers for nothin'. <g>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
news
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.
>
> I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
> I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
> hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
> good.
>
> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.
>
> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....
>
> Christine

Check out the following sites before buying a knife.
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html $7 shipping for each order
not per knife from Japanese high end knives. 3 day delivery to US customs
and 2 days from there to you.

This place if you are on the West cost is located near Seattle, WA
http://www.epicureanedge.com/default...41154421746347

For those in the New York area there is http://www.korin.com/

All 3 are excellent to do business with as well as selling knives a lot
better than the typical soft steel German/French styles.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
news
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.
>
> I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
> I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
> hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
> good.
>
> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.
>
> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....
>
> Christine

The Wusthoff is fine, and the 10" is a good choice, assuming it fits your
hands, which is why you should buy this in a store so you can heft the thing
before paying for it. Keep in mind that you can make a big knife smaller
when necessary, buy "choking up" on the handle. But, you can't make a small
knife bigger.

I use the 10" constantly, along with an 8" slicing knife and a paring knife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-07-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > I will only be half there if I come. I am doing mandatory testing for
> > my new contract. I have to complete this by tomorrow.
> >
> >::::::::Sigh::::::::

> Ahhhh!... the ol' "I have to study" ploy.
>
> Ok, you get a pass.
>
> nb

Heck, I read your note and stuck my head in there. Boli said you'd just
left. Pity.

I'm making Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs for tonight's dinner -- I picked
up the flanken cut ribs when I was on the other side of town last
Thursday.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 9:15 am, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this :in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > In article >,
> > Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >> Hiya folks,

> >> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL

> >> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> >> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.

> >> I want at least 10 inches.

> > Don't we all.

> OMG... I don't believe you said that... LOL... whoda' thunk you would be a
> ... oh... nevermind
>
> Michael

That was not the interesting remark -- the interesting part was the
'brothers' part. That doesn't make sense to me. Don't explain.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.
>
> I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
> I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
> hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
> good.
>
> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.
>
> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....
>
> Christine

My "good" knives are mostly a mix of Sabatier and Henckels (good ones,
not the cheap lines). I also rather like the Tramontina santouko style
knives I got at Sam's for like $12 / 2 pk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.

I've had Wusthof knives for quite a while now and really like them. I
have smaller hands and they seem to fit me well.

Most recently I have added a couple of Santoku style knives to my
collection and I really use those the most. I have an 8 or 10" size and
a smaller one.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, on Sun, 15 Jul
2007 21:15:46 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> I love Sabatier. Really, really, really love them. They aren't the
> most popular of knives these days, but they fit my hands well.
>
> I first read about them years and years ago from Madeline Kamman. She
> talks about her first Sabatier that she got from her aunt, who was a
> well known restaranteur in France. Fortunately, I had already gotten
> one or two, and I found some more when I was living in the DC area
> then. I found a store that had the high carbon steel ones..at
> fantastic prices. I wish I had gotten more then. They have lasted
> and lasted. Discolored, yes... But such a sharp edge.
>
> I still like the idea of the Wusthof Classic Wide knife. I might even
> one. But I think I will order another Sabatier for myself from
> Fantes. They have what I want...and I have been looking for some
> time. Most places that advertise Sabatier don't have more than the
> ham slicer. I know..I have been looking. And they don't have the
> high carbon steel.

I have the 10" Wüsthof Classic Extra-Wide Chef's Knife, and it's my
absolute favorite knife. It holds an edge, and it's easy to sharpen. (I
use a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker for touch-ups (after about every
third or fourth use), and an Edge-pro Apex for more extensive
sharpening. The Wüsthof has not needed the Edge-pro for about three
years, though.)

It *is* a big, heavy knife though - it weighs about 3/4 of a pound. If
you have small hands, you might find it awkward. IIRC, though, Sara
Moulton, (formerly?) of the Food Channel used to use the Wüsthof 10"
Extra-Wide, and she's about five feet tall standing on tip-toes.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:53:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm making Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs for tonight's dinner -- I picked
>up the flanken cut ribs when I was on the other side of town last
>Thursday.

I'd call that a signature dish if you're making them and calling it
"Nancy's" recipe.... so why isn't it on the website, Nancy?

The weather is foggy and cool today, perfect for short ribs. I know
what's for dinner now!

Hungarian Short Ribs

4 pounds beef short ribs
2 medium onions, sliced
1 15 ounch can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon paprika
6 ounces medium noodles

Cut ribs into serving size pieces; trim excess fat.

In Dutch oven, brown ribs on all sides. Add onions. Blend
together tomato sauce, ONE cup of the water, brown sugar,
vinegar, etc etc through the paprika; pour over meat. Cover and
simmer until meat is almost tender, about 2 hours.

Skim off fat. Stir in noodles and remaining 1 cup water.

Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, till noodles are tender,
20 to 25 minutes more.

From Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Beef Recipes.
Nancy Young

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, artisan2
@ix.netcom.com says...
> Hiya folks,
>
> Okay, I am on a buying spree.. I have been saving up my money..LOL
>
> I want a new chef's knife. I have read of some folks liking the
> Wusthof Classic Wide chef's knife.
>
> I want at least 10 inches. I have only one other 10 inch knife, and I
> think I could definitely use another one.
>
> I know the song and dance about trying them out to see how they feel.
> I will say first off, that Sabatier feels pretty good in my little
> hands, and I like my Henckels Santouko knife. That also feels pretty
> good.
>
> I have been around to various stores and looked at the knives, and I
> haven't tried them out yet. The folks were too busy at most of the
> stores, and I deferred testing them til later. I am talking about
> Wusthof knives here..the testing of them.
>
> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?
>
> Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
> knife? I love the high carbon steel....
>
> Christine

You sound like me about 5 years ago - I loved good knives and was not
shy about buying new ones, always high quality. I have a nice collection
consisting of about 8 chef's knives from 6 to 10" both stainless and
carbon steel, two Chinese cleavers (light and heavy), and three gorgeous
handmade knives bought in Japan including a right-handed sashimi knife.

Y'know what? 80% of my cutting is done with an 8" Henckles chef's knife.
I found that constantly switching knives prevented me from getting
really handy with any of them. I bring out a few other knives now and
then for specialty tasks, for example the sashimi knife and the heavy
cleaver, but most of them just collect dust.

I also found that a 10" chef's knife was too heavy and unwieldy. If I
want to decapitate a gnu I'll use it, but otherwise rarely.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote

> Y'know what? 80% of my cutting is done with an 8" Henckles chef's knife.

Ditto. I have a couple of them, and aside from a bread knife
and once in a while a boning knife, it's all I use. Paring knives
make me nervous. The 6 inch utility just doesn't have the weight
I'm comfortable with.

Now, thanks to maxine's DH, I'm off to drop off my knives to
be sharpened.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:27:33 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Peter A" > wrote
>
>> Y'know what? 80% of my cutting is done with an 8" Henckles chef's knife.

>Ditto. I have a couple of them, and aside from a bread knife
>and once in a while a boning knife, it's all I use. Paring knives
>make me nervous. The 6 inch utility just doesn't have the weight
>I'm comfortable with.

Yeah, I like my Henkels chef's knife, too. Mine's a 10" one, though,
and I've never found it unwieldy. That may be because I don't have an
8" to compare it too. My current favorite is my new left-handed 6.5"
Shun santoku. Scary sharp.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Anyway, until I actually get to test them out maybe later this week,
> how do you all think that Wusthof knives do? And how well do they work
> with small hands? Are they usually too big and bulky?

I have replaced most of my knives with Wusthof and I really love them.
They sharpen very nicely and steel well between sharpenings. My husband
sharpens them by hand every 6-18 months (I use some knives a lot more
than others and I have three small paring & utility knives). I've had
other, similar knives that did not sharpen as well. A lot depends on
how the knife feels in your hand so you should always try them in the
hand before purchasing.

Emma
--
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <CUzmi.3758$Gx5.1642@trndny02>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I had no actual receipt because I mail ordered them.

I've been mail-ordering for years and always get a receipt. Some of my
Wusthofs (all forged) are near 20 years old and I've never had a single
problem with either the blades or handles. Of course I never leave them
sitting in the sink and never wash them in the DW either. Sounds like
you got one of those cheapo counterfeit stamped sets from China.
--
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:31:51 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:53:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>

>>I'm making Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs for tonight's dinner -- I picked
>>up the flanken cut ribs when I was on the other side of town last
>>Thursday.

>I'd call that a signature dish if you're making them and calling it
>"Nancy's" recipe.... so why isn't it on the website, Nancy?
>
>The weather is foggy and cool today, perfect for short ribs. I know
>what's for dinner now!
>
>Hungarian Short Ribs

It's hot and dry here, but those ARE sounding good. And I have short
ribs in the freezer...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:53:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm making Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs for tonight's dinner -- I picked
>>up the flanken cut ribs when I was on the other side of town last
>>Thursday.

> I'd call that a signature dish if you're making them and calling it
> "Nancy's" recipe.... so why isn't it on the website, Nancy?

(smile!) I get a charge every time someone calls them nancy's
short ribs. I'll check with the webite mistress. Heh.

Oh, Cathy ...

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
>>>Or should I just try to find another hard to find Sabatier Au Carbone
>>>knife? I love the high carbon steel....

>>>Christine

>>We like our "Gerbers", not cheap thou.- Hide quoted text -
>>

> Norvin,
>
> Finally, somebody else who owns Gerber kitchen knives. As far as I
> know, Gerber was bought-out (I believe by Fiskars) and the new owners
> quit making kitchen knives. I'm lucky that I already had a pretty
> complete set. (Mine are the Balance Plus.)
>
> Ken

Gerber got out of the kitchen knife market some time ago and they now
produce hunting knives, and the like. I got a complete set with a walnut
case as part of a 25th year thing with IBM back in 1986. A brushed SS
carving set with steak knives and a complete every day set of kitchen
knives. At the time it was rumored that the set was in the $1200-1400
range. They get used daily and have had not one problem. Good stuff.
Every once in a while something shows up on Ebay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article m>,
Dee Dee > wrote:

> On Jul 16, 9:15 am, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' > dropped this
> > :in
> > rec.food.cooking

> > > Don't we all.

> > OMG... I don't believe you said that... LOL... whoda' thunk you would be a
> > ... oh... nevermind
> >
> > Michael

> That was not the interesting remark -- the interesting part was the
> 'brothers' part. That doesn't make sense to me. Don't explain.
> Dee Dee

Geez, I never thought of it THAT way and now I AM compelled to
"explain." I got my gutter mind and potty mouth from having grown up
with five brothers who (at least two, anyway) had pretty much the same
gutter mind and potty mouth.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:07:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article m>,
> Dee Dee > wrote:

>> That was not the interesting remark -- the interesting part was the
>> 'brothers' part. That doesn't make sense to me. Don't explain.
>> Dee Dee

>Geez, I never thought of it THAT way and now I AM compelled to
>"explain." I got my gutter mind and potty mouth from having grown up
>with five brothers who (at least two, anyway) had pretty much the same
>gutter mind and potty mouth.

I knew what you meant.

Back on topic.....
I just ordered a Sabatier knife today, from Fantes. I am still
looking to test out the Wusthof knives sometime later this week..still
thinking about the Wusthof Classic Wide chef's kniffe. And yes, I
want at least 10 inches.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-16, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> thinking about the Wusthof Classic Wide chef's kniffe. And yes, I
> want at least 10 inches.

I can't imagine why. I have 6" and 10" chefs knives and an 8" Chinese
knife. Cooking for one (me), the six gets the most use, with the
Chinese knife getting more and more use as I become more adept with
it. I almost never use the 10". Maybe if I'm going to be cooking for
many and need to chop/dice large amounts of something. Otherwise, it's
almost forgotten. Part of the reason may be my cutting board, which
is only 9" sq.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:31:51 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:53:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I'm making Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs for tonight's dinner -- I picked
> >>up the flanken cut ribs when I was on the other side of town last
> >>Thursday.

> >I'd call that a signature dish if you're making them and calling it
> >"Nancy's" recipe.... so why isn't it on the website, Nancy?
> >
> >The weather is foggy and cool today, perfect for short ribs. I know
> >what's for dinner now!
> >
> >Hungarian Short Ribs

> It's hot and dry here, but those ARE sounding good. And I have short
> ribs in the freezer...
>
> Christine

Forty-five minutes in the pressure cooker took care of them, Christine.
I had 6# of them, though, and it took a half hour to brown the meat, in
three batches. The broth is in the freezer right now. That's a must.
It's now out of the freezer and I lifted a layer of fat 1/2" thick and
8" in diameter from it. Oy.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:59:28 -0700, MayQueen > wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

<snip>
>I've had Wusthof knives for quite a while now and really like them. I
>have smaller hands and they seem to fit me well.
>
>Most recently I have added a couple of Santoku style knives to my
>collection and I really use those the most. I have an 8 or 10" size and
>a smaller one.

I have Wustoff and Henkles too. The Santoku blade is ok for slicing,
but I still prefer my french chef's knife for fine chop/mince. I
prefer the rocking motion of french style to the cleaver style of
Santoku when I chop garlic and onions.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I must admit I've never heard of blade snapping on a Wusthof.. or any German
FORGED knife.

Henckles now have sintered bolsters and stamped blades; Wusthofs are still
completely forged.

Wusthofs are one of the highest quality knives in the world and probably THE
highest quality German knife. Japanese knives are very good as well and
will be sharper since they have different angles on the blade. But they are
also harder to sharpen and will chip more easily.

I choose to own the Wusthof Classic line.. I hone them every time I use them
and hand wash them and they will last forever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, and to answer your question, if you have to ask what type of knife to
buy, you're not experienced enough to be using a 10" knife. Especially with
small hands. Use a 6" or 8".