Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pot Roast

I’m looking for a good pot roast recipe if you have one you can recommend.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 3:03 pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> I'm looking for a good pot roast recipe if you have one you can recommend.
>
> Thanks!

Go to

http://galley.belleisleships.com/index.php

and enter pot roast in the search and you should come up with 8 or 9
good recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:03:20 GMT, "Mike" > wrote:

>I’m looking for a good pot roast recipe if you have one you can recommend.

The best thing you ever tasted is mine. Of course..you
realize.....everyone will disagree about it. Just what comes with
rfc.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Charles Roast

meats

2 1/2 lb chuck roast
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 pkg lipton onion soup mix
2 tablespoon garlic
1 can beer
1 salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325F.

Heat olive oil in non-stick saute pan but not smoking. Add Chuck
Roast
and brown on both sides. Spray covered roasting pan with Pam and
place
roast in pan.

Continue heating saute pan and add Lipton Onion Soup mix, garlic and
saute
for a few minutes. Remember, the heat is on high and you must keep
close
watch. Add garlic and beer. Heat until foaming subsides. Pour over
roast
and cover pan.

Roast beef for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Variations: During last hour of roasting, add potatoes, celery, and
carrots. Root vegetables are particularly good cooked this way. Roast
until done. Also, you could add large mushrooms.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
> I’m looking for a good pot roast recipe if you have one you can recommend.
>
> Thanks!

Pot Roast is not so much a recipe as the proper method. We use my
grandmother's and it works well.

Take a rump roast, wrap it in waxed paper, and place it on a hard surface,
such as a concrete floor. Bet it will a rolling pin a dozen times to help
tenderize it.

Heat up a Dutch oven, then put in a little oil and let it heat. Rub the meat
on all sides with some salt and pepper. Put the roast into the pan to brown
it. Let it sit until it releases and turn to the next side, repeat for all
sides.

Add some onions, add about a half cup of water, put on the lid and let it
cook on very low heat for four or five hours. It will be tender, tasty, and
have lots of gravy to be thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie
of your choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's what I think I did wrong:
First, I seared a cold piece of meat.
Then I deglazed the pot residue with wine and added beef stock to it then
added it to the pot.

Then baked it and added potatoes and vegetables later.
The potatoes came out purple and the gravy looked brownish red in color.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
> Here's what I think I did wrong:
> First, I seared a cold piece of meat.
> Then I deglazed the pot residue with wine and added beef stock to it then
> added it to the pot.
>
> Then baked it and added potatoes and vegetables later.
> The potatoes came out purple and the gravy looked brownish red in color.

Perfect Pot Roast

(Easy too!)

3-4 lbs chuck roast
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds baby carrots
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed.
Salt and fresh ground pepper.

Heat a large soup pot or deep skillet on high.

When it is hot add the oil.

Brown the roast on all sides, well.

*[If you want thicker gravy rather than broth,
remove the meat and brown a 3 tablespoons of
flour in the fat then return the meat to the pan.]

Add salt and pepper.

Add a splash of water to the pot, turn it down
low, cover, and leave it alone for three hours.

When it has cooked for three hours, put the
carrots and potatoes in. (You can add sauteed
onion too if you like.) You will notice that water
has cooked out of the roast and mingled with the
fat into a lovely brown broth. You do not need
beef stock or wine.

Replace lid and cook for another hour.

Serve with hot crusty bread. The meat will
be falling apart, and the broth/gravy will be
meaty and good with no winey or boullion
weirdness.