Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pressure Cooker, Before I Buy...

Some questions to the r.f.c membership.

Before I buy...

I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
one? Does larger take longer to make meals?

My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a short
and stout model?

Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?

I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick or
should I care?

Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?

Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook?

Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.
>
> Before I buy...
>
> I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
> one? Does larger take longer to make meals?
>
> My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a short
> and stout model?
>
> Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?
>
> I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick or
> should I care?
>
> Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
> leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?
>
> Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook?
>
> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

One adage: Do you want it good or do you want it fast.

I think you need to borrow/rent before you buy. If you've been
cooking satisfactorilly for more than a year you'll be wasting your
money, after one attempt it will be resigned to the bowels of your
basement forever, a pressure processor (it's not cooking) is a giant
step backwards.

Unless you intend to do canning you don't want one.

Naturally all those who can't cook will argue... but pressure
processing is to cooking as are frozen TV type dinners.

If you normally prepare food by dumping everything into a pot at once,
slapping on the lid, have a stove with only one speed (full high), and
never lft the lid to stir, taste, or add anything, are happy eating
pot luck sludge because you are afflicted with a serious case of taste
in ass disese, then go for it.

If speed is your goal then there is nothing you can't do better with a
microwave oven.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.
>>
>> Before I buy...
>>
>> I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
>> one? Does larger take longer to make meals?
>>
>> My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a

short
>> and stout model?
>>
>> Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?
>>
>> I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick

or
>> should I care?
>>
>> Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
>> leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?
>>
>> Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook?
>>
>> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

> One adage: Do you want it good or do you want it fast.
>
> I think you need to borrow/rent before you buy. If you've been
> cooking satisfactorilly for more than a year you'll be wasting your
> money, after one attempt it will be resigned to the bowels of your
> basement forever, a pressure processor (it's not cooking) is a giant
> step backwards.
>
> Unless you intend to do canning you don't want one.
>
> Naturally all those who can't cook will argue... but pressure
> processing is to cooking as are frozen TV type dinners.
>
> If you normally prepare food by dumping everything into a pot at once,
> slapping on the lid, have a stove with only one speed (full high), and
> never lft the lid to stir, taste, or add anything, are happy eating
> pot luck sludge because you are afflicted with a serious case of taste
> in ass disese, then go for it.
>
> If speed is your goal then there is nothing you can't do better with a
> microwave oven.
>
> Sheldon

Yeah, I'm still at the "What WOULD I cook in it?" stage. I'll go to the
bookstore and flip through a PC cookbook for ideas and then see.

I certainly don't need 6 quarts of beans on a weekly basis!

Most come with optional glass lids, so the worst that could happen is it
becomes a soup pot.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-12, Andy <q> wrote:
> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.

> I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
> one? Does larger take longer to make meals?

Mine is a 5 qt, plenty for most everything. A 6qt should be more than
enough unless you are cooking for a large family or groups.

> My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a short
> and stout model?

Just make sure the pan is bigger than the burner.

> Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?

Alum will exclude acidic foods like tomatoes.

> I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick or
> should I care?

This is typically for SS cookware as SS is a lousy heat conductor. If
you go SS, get some sort of sandwich/clad design.

> Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
> leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?

Get which one makes you feel safe!

> Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook.

Most p-cookers come with a cookbook specifically tailored to the
product. My KR c/b is dead on for all it's recipes.

> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

Depends on what you call a meal, since different things cook at
different rates. This can still be worked around. I typically cook
corned beef for about an hour by itself, then open the cooker and add
veggies and close and cook for another 5-7mins. Cookers can be almost
instantly depressurized and opened by putting the whole cooker in the
sink and running cold water over it.

NOTE: I just thought of this Andy, as you asked about short vs tall
cookers. Make sure whatever cooker you buy, it will fit in your sink
and under the faucet. This a common and recommended cooldown
technique and something you definitely want for a possible emergency.
You might also consider getting a taller goose-neck style faucet for
your sink. I got one for my sink before I got my p-cooker and was
mighty glad I did.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 5:31 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.
>
> Before I buy...
>
> I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
> one? Does larger take longer to make meals?
>
> My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a short
> and stout model?
>
> Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?
>
> I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick or
> should I care?
>
> Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
> leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?
>
> Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook?
>
> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I hate pressure cookers! To me they are only fit to be in the arsenal
of terrorists;-)

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> On 2007-07-12, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.

>> I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
>> one? Does larger take longer to make meals?

> Mine is a 5 qt, plenty for most everything. A 6qt should be more than
> enough unless you are cooking for a large family or groups.
>
>> My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a

short
>> and stout model?

> Just make sure the pan is bigger than the burner.
>
>> Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?

> Alum will exclude acidic foods like tomatoes.
>
>> I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick

or
>> should I care?

> This is typically for SS cookware as SS is a lousy heat conductor. If
> you go SS, get some sort of sandwich/clad design.
>
>> Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
>> leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?

> Get which one makes you feel safe!
>
>> Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook.

> Most p-cookers come with a cookbook specifically tailored to the
> product. My KR c/b is dead on for all it's recipes.
>
>> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

> Depends on what you call a meal, since different things cook at
> different rates. This can still be worked around. I typically cook
> corned beef for about an hour by itself, then open the cooker and add
> veggies and close and cook for another 5-7mins. Cookers can be almost
> instantly depressurized and opened by putting the whole cooker in the
> sink and running cold water over it.
>
> NOTE: I just thought of this Andy, as you asked about short vs tall
> cookers. Make sure whatever cooker you buy, it will fit in your sink
> and under the faucet. This a common and recommended cooldown
> technique and something you definitely want for a possible emergency.
> You might also consider getting a taller goose-neck style faucet for
> your sink. I got one for my sink before I got my p-cooker and was
> mighty glad I did.
>
> nb

nb,

Thanks for all the good info!!! Sorry I didn't get a reply off sooner, I
got stuck at MissVickie.com (a pressure cooker guru website). It was great
reading and I'm not done yet.

Most importantly, she took the fear out of pressure cooking, thanks to the
"2nd gen." cookers. Basically fool-proof! That's NOT saying that mistakes
cannot be made, scorched food, cleaning, cracked o-ring, etc., which she
pointed out very nicely.

That and I've been looking at lots of good pc recipes over at
recipebazaar.com.

I'll probably go for an 8-quart unit since the many recipes I looked at
would probably fit in 2/3 full rule (I had NO idea) of an 8-quart without
any compromise in the recipe.

The Kuhn Rikon is high end. Fagor less so. Presto least so. Is that a fair
assessment? Sadly BB&B, Target AND Linen & Things DON"T carry pressure
cookers in store!?? Only on their websites! Sears has some of the Presto
models.

I think the clincher has to be the mandatory 15psi "standard" so I don't
have to scramble recipes and cooking times. And I'll go with SS as you
mentioned.

The kitchen sink is "ready to shock" just about any size pc. Thanks for the
FYI! It wouldn't have dawned on me.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks,

Andy
Proof that you CAN teach old dogs new tricks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl said...

> I hate pressure cookers! To me they are only fit to be in the arsenal
> of terrorists;-)
>
> Myrl

Myrl,

Like my electric veggie steamer/rice cooker. Used it twice. It went into the
trash a week later. Stupidest cooking contraption I ever bought! I must've
been on drugs!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 12:42 pm, Andy <q> wrote:

> The Kuhn Rikon is high end. Fagor less so. Presto least so. Is that a fair
> assessment? Sadly BB&B, Target AND Linen & Things DON"T carry pressure
> cookers in store!?? Only on their websites! Sears has some of the Presto
> models.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I am also thinking about getting a pressure cooker. My husband
brought me one from Morocco that scares the crap out of me...so I
packed it away. He insists that it would be good to have one
around.

Looks sort of like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2zxdl4

but not as nice looking and mine is aluminum.

I looked at the Linens and Things website and they carry the Fagor
line and offer in store pickup. I guess you order on line but pick up
where you want instead of getting it shipped.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy said...

> On Jul 12, 12:42 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>> The Kuhn Rikon is high end. Fagor less so. Presto least so. Is that a

fair
>> assessment? Sadly BB&B, Target AND Linen & Things DON"T carry pressure
>> cookers in store!?? Only on their websites! Sears has some of the Presto
>> models.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy

> I am also thinking about getting a pressure cooker. My husband
> brought me one from Morocco that scares the crap out of me...so I
> packed it away. He insists that it would be good to have one
> around.
>
> Looks sort of like this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2zxdl4
>
> but not as nice looking and mine is aluminum.
>
> I looked at the Linens and Things website and they carry the Fagor
> line and offer in store pickup. I guess you order on line but pick up
> where you want instead of getting it shipped.
>
> -Tracy

Tracy,

It looks like a giant land mine! LOL!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alton brown used a pressure cooker to prepare some beef stock in
Good eats.

He did a quick explanation of what to look for in buying a cooker.

Buy one with a graduated spring loaded pressure indicator.

Preferably get one with a pressures release button incorporated
into the handle.

The heavier the better as this is usually a good indicator of the
quality of build.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 9:52 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Myrl said...
>
> > I hate pressure cookers! To me they are only fit to be in the arsenal
> > of terrorists;-)

> > Myrl

> Myrl,
>
> Like my electric veggie steamer/rice cooker. Used it twice. It went into the
> trash a week later. Stupidest cooking contraption I ever bought! I must've
> been on drugs!!!
>
> Andy

I gotta agree with ya Andy! I did the same thing. . .and I purchased
the best, most expensive model I could find. I just knew it was gonna
be better than sliced bread;-) It's on a shelf out in the garage!

There is one contraption that I've used for years consistently,
however. . .and that's my food dehydrator. I make jerky, dry
tomatoes, and do all kinds of things with it. I absolutely love that
thing!

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.
>
> Before I buy...
>
> I see 4, 6, 8, 10-quart pressure cookers. Should I just buy the largest
> one? Does larger take longer to make meals?

Yeah.

Lean towards the smaller size.
I'd get the 6 quart.

Remember, you can NOT fill them to the top!

> My burner's diameter is 7.5". So is a tall/narrow preferable over a short
> and stout model?
>
> Which is better, aluminum or stainless steel?

Stainless steel.
Last longer and is non-reactive. Acid dishes can pit the interior and
weaken it, shortening it's useful life.

> I see "triclad base" mentioned on a Presto model. Is it just a gimmick or
> should I care?

<shrugs> I never worried about that.

Keep it simple.

> Presto, Manttra, Fagor and Kuhn Rikon seem to dominate the market. I was
> leaning towards Presto out of familiarity and price. Any advice?

We've used Presto for over 40 years with good results, and it's common
enough to make the replacement rubber parts (gaskets and safety valves)
easy and inexpensive to find.

> Recommend a favorite Pressure Cooker cookbook?

m.f.w. <G>

> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

Some, yes. But not all.
Once you get various cooking times down, you can match them up.
Mom used to make pot roast that way all the time.

> Thanks,
>
> Andy

I hope it works as well for you as it has for many. :-)
Welcome to the fold!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> If speed is your goal then there is nothing you can't do better with a
> microwave oven.
>
> Sheldon

I so totally disagree with this.
Microwave cooking and pressure cooking and nothing at all in common.

I would not EVEN attempt beans, rice or pot roast in the microwave!

Not on a bet.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 11:15 am, (Phil Evans) wrote:
> Alton brown used a pressure cooker to prepare some beef stock in
> Good eats.
>
> He did a quick explanation of what to look for in buying a cooker.
>
> Buy one with a graduated spring loaded pressure indicator.
>
> Preferably get one with a pressures release button incorporated
> into the handle.
>
> The heavier the better as this is usually a good indicator of the
> quality of build.

When I was a bride (many years ago), we received a pressure cooker as
a wedding gift. I wasn't much for reading directions back then.
First episode with the cooker was to "try" to make spaghetti sauce in
it. Voila, everything was perculating pretty good (I thought), until
I pulled off the little weight gadget on the top to let off steam ,so
I could open the lid. And, voila, I permanently embedded spaghetti
sauce onto the ceiling. I'm sure glad I wasn't leaning over that
thing, or it would have removed my face! Who would have thought that
ALL that sauce could make it through that little bitty hole?

I don't think pressure cookers are worth the trouble, or the
danger!. . .I'm a real "slow cooker" kind of gal. And, that's with
good reason;-) If it ain't worth taking all day to cook, than it
ain't worth eatin'. . .

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil Evans said...

> Alton brown used a pressure cooker to prepare some beef stock in
> Good eats.
>
> He did a quick explanation of what to look for in buying a cooker.
>
> Buy one with a graduated spring loaded pressure indicator.
>
> Preferably get one with a pressures release button incorporated
> into the handle.
>
> The heavier the better as this is usually a good indicator of the
> quality of build.

Phil,

I was thinking earlier if I'd seen any FoodTV cooks using one and couldn't
think of any and wondered why. I didn't see that episode.

I'm not so sure about that "heavier the better" recommendation. You get a
15 lb. pc and 5 lbs. of food and some smaller or weak folks could have a
hard time handling them onto or off of the stove. That probably represents
the biggest danger of the modern pcs.

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 12, 9:52 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Myrl said...
>>
>> > I hate pressure cookers! To me they are only fit to be in the
>> > arsenal
>> > of terrorists;-)

>> > Myrl

>> Myrl,
>>
>> Like my electric veggie steamer/rice cooker. Used it twice. It went
>> into the
>> trash a week later. Stupidest cooking contraption I ever bought! I
>> must've
>> been on drugs!!!
>>
>> Andy

> I gotta agree with ya Andy! I did the same thing. . .and I purchased
> the best, most expensive model I could find. I just knew it was gonna
> be better than sliced bread;-) It's on a shelf out in the garage!
>
> There is one contraption that I've used for years consistently,
> however. . .and that's my food dehydrator. I make jerky, dry
> tomatoes, and do all kinds of things with it. I absolutely love that
> thing!
>
> Myrl

That ended up going to Freecycle. I just don't use it enough.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hehe, he did say that pressure cookers were not for limp wristed
cooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> I certainly don't need 6 quarts of beans on a weekly basis!
>
> Most come with optional glass lids, so the worst that could happen is it
> becomes a soup pot.
>
> Andy

Just because you get a 6 quart does not mean you have to fill it to
capacity. :-)

You can cook 1 quart or less in that cooker. :-)

You also never want to fill a 6 quart over 4 quarts.

Trust me.

Especially with beans. I learned that the HARD way! <lol>
I was lucky Lynn' was willing to help me clean up the mess.

3/4 full max on ANYTHING you cook!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> > Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

> Depends on what you call a meal, since different things cook at
> different rates. This can still be worked around. I typically cook
> corned beef for about an hour by itself, then open the cooker and add
> veggies and close and cook for another 5-7mins. Cookers can be almost
> instantly depressurized and opened by putting the whole cooker in the
> sink and running cold water over it.
>
> NOTE: I just thought of this Andy, as you asked about short vs tall
> cookers. Make sure whatever cooker you buy, it will fit in your sink
> and under the faucet. This a common and recommended cooldown
> technique and something you definitely want for a possible emergency.
> You might also consider getting a taller goose-neck style faucet for
> your sink. I got one for my sink before I got my p-cooker and was
> mighty glad I did.
>
> nb

Totally agree!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> I hope it works as well for you as it has for many. :-)
> Welcome to the fold!

Om,

Thanks but not-so-fast. I still have some homework left.

Some pcs are strange diameters where I don't see the glass lid accessory
offered and wonder where I'd find one if at all.

And the dimensions, are they specifying the inside or outside diameter?

Many of pc descriptions on-line fail to mention the psi-ability of them. A
couple websites use the same picture for different pcs. One item listed
pounds as the dimensions. Some identical pcs showed different dimensions on
some websites! A 7 quart pc had larger dimensions than an 8qt pc!? Pretty
reckless, imho, for the online shopping experience. The manufacturer's
websites being the final word, I know but even they don't "tell all" about
some of their products.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> I think the clincher has to be the mandatory 15psi "standard" so I don't
> have to scramble recipes and cooking times. And I'll go with SS as you
> mentioned.
>
> The kitchen sink is "ready to shock" just about any size pc. Thanks for the
> FYI! It wouldn't have dawned on me.
>
> Decisions, decisions!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy
> Proof that you CAN teach old dogs new tricks.

I'm happy for you that you are even considering one. :-)

I wish you many happy years of p-cooking.

In my quest to save energy costs and crack down on my budget, I've been
using it more and more frequently, depending on what I want.

That and the table top oven.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > I hope it works as well for you as it has for many. :-)
> > Welcome to the fold!

> Om,
>
> Thanks but not-so-fast. I still have some homework left.

No worries. :-)

> Some pcs are strange diameters where I don't see the glass lid accessory
> offered and wonder where I'd find one if at all.

Glass lid? <confused look>

> And the dimensions, are they specifying the inside or outside diameter?

Huh?

I only count capacity.
I think thou' are making it too complicated.

Really Andy, it's a very simple tool.

> Many of pc descriptions on-line fail to mention the psi-ability of them. A
> couple websites use the same picture for different pcs. One item listed
> pounds as the dimensions. Some identical pcs showed different dimensions on
> some websites! A 7 quart pc had larger dimensions than an 8qt pc!? Pretty
> reckless, imho, for the online shopping experience. The manufacturer's
> websites being the final word, I know but even they don't "tell all" about
> some of their products.
>
> Andy

Just go to Wal-mart and RTFM.

It's honestly not that complicated, and it drastically cuts cooking
times on a lot of stuff. Don't cook anything in it you would not be
willing to steam or braise.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Omelet said...
>>
>> > I hope it works as well for you as it has for many. :-)
>> > Welcome to the fold!

>> Om,
>>
>> Thanks but not-so-fast. I still have some homework left.

> No worries. :-)
>

>> Some pcs are strange diameters where I don't see the glass lid
>> accessory offered and wonder where I'd find one if at all.

> Glass lid? <confused look>

If I wanted to use the pot for non-pc cooking?

>> And the dimensions, are they specifying the inside or outside diameter?

> Huh?
>
> I only count capacity.
> I think thou' are making it too complicated.

But of course I am!

> Really Andy, it's a very simple tool.
>

>> Andy

> Just go to Wal-mart and RTFM.
>
> It's honestly not that complicated, and it drastically cuts cooking
> times on a lot of stuff. Don't cook anything in it you would not be
> willing to steam or braise.

And you say "complicated" like it's a bad thing!?!

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> If I wanted to use the pot for non-pc cooking?

Be careful about that. Some pressure cookers
(principally the cheap aluminum ones) can be
damaged by cooking above their normal operating
temperature. I once destroyed a pressure cooker
by using it to make popcorn. The bottom broke
away from the sides, because of the high
temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> If I wanted to use the pot for non-pc cooking?

> Be careful about that. Some pressure cookers
> (principally the cheap aluminum ones) can be
> damaged by cooking above their normal operating
> temperature. I once destroyed a pressure cooker
> by using it to make popcorn. The bottom broke
> away from the sides, because of the high
> temperature.

Mark,

Good point taken.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Andy,

I love my pressure cooker so much except when it comes to washing it.
So regarding size buy as small as you can get away with so it'll fit
in your sink! I have a stainless steel model and I'm very happy with
it. I don't know about aluminum.

I don't make entire meals in it as much as hoped. There's a steamer
in it but the stand is only about an inch high so not enough to stand
potatoes or other veg above my stew most the time so I find it easier
to do rice/potatoes on the side. Still it's great for so many things
such as applesauce, stews, soups and even roast meat. I know French
women who swear it's the best way to roast pork.

You don't need a recipe book. Once you've browned/seared meat and veg
in and everything's under pressure it cook's in 1/3 of the time quoted
in a conventional recipe (exept legumes, rice and pasta). I have a
chicken casserole that used to take 60 minutes of simmering and now
it's only 20. It a great way to cook things like chilli con carne,
beef bourgignon, etc on a week night.

Cazza

Food and drink survey just for fun:
http://www.opiniondb.com/DoSurveyLis...b-300ba3d01faa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2007-07-12, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.

::
>> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

Ham, green beans and potatoes in the same pot is a southern staple.

> Depends on what you call a meal, since different things cook at
> different rates. This can still be worked around. I typically cook
> corned beef for about an hour by itself, then open the cooker and add
> veggies and close and cook for another 5-7mins. Cookers can be almost
> instantly depressurized and opened by putting the whole cooker in the
> sink and running cold water over it.

I screwed up once by not cooling the pot enough before removing the weight
from the valve - mess on the ceiling.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> Omelet said...

> >> Om,
> >>
> >> Thanks but not-so-fast. I still have some homework left.

> > No worries. :-)
> >

> >> Some pcs are strange diameters where I don't see the glass lid
> >> accessory offered and wonder where I'd find one if at all.

> > Glass lid? <confused look>

> If I wanted to use the pot for non-pc cooking?

I'll use it to hard boil eggs... but that's about it.
I use it enough to PC that my regular stock pot works for other
applications. :-)

> >> And the dimensions, are they specifying the inside or outside diameter?

> > Huh?
> >
> > I only count capacity.
> > I think thou' are making it too complicated.

> But of course I am!

STOP IT! <lol>

Repeat after me...
Cooking is simple and easy.
Those that are scared of it just don't know any better!

> > Really Andy, it's a very simple tool.
> >

> >> Andy

> > Just go to Wal-mart and RTFM.
> >
> > It's honestly not that complicated, and it drastically cuts cooking
> > times on a lot of stuff. Don't cook anything in it you would not be
> > willing to steam or braise.

> And you say "complicated" like it's a bad thing!?!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Yes, I do. :-)
Complicated recipes and techniques are what scares off newbies.
IMHO, most cooking is a no-brainer.

Really!

And PC's fall in the category of "simple".
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Mitch Scherer" >
wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > On 2007-07-12, Andy <q> wrote:
> >> Some questions to the r.f.c membership.

> ::
> >> Lastly, can you cook entire meals in the same pot?

> Ham, green beans and potatoes in the same pot is a southern staple.
>
> > Depends on what you call a meal, since different things cook at
> > different rates. This can still be worked around. I typically cook
> > corned beef for about an hour by itself, then open the cooker and add
> > veggies and close and cook for another 5-7mins. Cookers can be almost
> > instantly depressurized and opened by putting the whole cooker in the
> > sink and running cold water over it.

> I screwed up once by not cooling the pot enough before removing the weight
> from the valve - mess on the ceiling.
>
> Mitch

Run cold water over it in the sink to bring down the pressure quickly.
:-) I do that all the time with stuff that has critical timing.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> Repeat after me...
> Cooking is simple and easy.
> Those that are scared of it just don't know any better!

I remember the days of preparation leading up to the dreaded Gumbo Day cook-
along. I was sweating days before I actually made and ate it.

And wouldn'tcha know... I lived! ))

I still marvel over that day! A stunning success!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I should've added, once the roux was finished (simpler than I had imagined),
the rest of the dish was basically a breeze!

How was I supposed to know?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > Repeat after me...
> > Cooking is simple and easy.
> > Those that are scared of it just don't know any better!

> I remember the days of preparation leading up to the dreaded Gumbo Day cook-
> along. I was sweating days before I actually made and ate it.
>
> And wouldn'tcha know... I lived! ))
>
> I still marvel over that day! A stunning success!
>
> Andy

But that's only annual, not daily! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> I should've added, once the roux was finished (simpler than I had imagined),
> the rest of the dish was basically a breeze!
>
> How was I supposed to know?
>
> Andy

I don't eat roux.

I'm allergic to wheat.

Corn starch or arrowroot is a perfectly functional thickener, and one
helluva lot less trouble.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.