Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marinated Mushrooms

I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
10 oz jar).

I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
color, fairly quickly.

Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
well for them?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 7:41 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 01:52:12 -0000, rummaged
> among random neurons and opined:
>
> >I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
> >awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
> >10 oz jar).

> >I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
> >it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
> >color, fairly quickly.

> >Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
> >well for them?

> This comes under the heading of "I'm Embarrassed to Admit It." I clean
> button mushrooms and then marinate them overnight in <blush> Kraft
> Zesty Italian Dressing. It's perfect. Mind you, the mushrooms are
> going to turn brownish, just as they do when you saute them.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Thanks so much for the tip! I don't feel like such a "lame" cook
now. As it turns out, I've been marinating them in Kraft Roasted Red
Pepper Italian Dressing. . . So we're nearly on the same page.

I'm also thinking of trying Steve's idea about simmering them for a
few minutes first! I was wondering if setting them in lemon juice
would impede the browning/graying of them a bit. Kind of like what
happens with apple slices?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 12:04 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 01:52:12 -0000,
> wrote:
>
> > I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
> > awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
> > 10 oz jar).

> > I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
> > it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
> > color, fairly quickly.

> > Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
> > well for them?

> Simmer them for 4-5 minutes, then let them dry in a colander on
> the counter for a few hours. Add Italian dressing of choice (I
> use Girards Italian - just a bit, and some habenero balsamic
> vinegar and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
>
> Well, you get the basic idea. This is what I did on Saturday
> (and I ate them tonight). This s my normal method for making
> them. The simmering is important - don't just use
> fresh/unblanched mushrooms.
>
> They do get dark, though. I suspect you could add a chemical or
> two to keep them lighter - which is probably what the
> manufacturers do. But why?
>
> -sw

I'd like to try this -- why does the simmering make a difference?
changes the texture?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 7:11 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:05:07 -0000, wrote:
> > I'm also thinking of trying Steve's idea about simmering them for a
> > few minutes first! I was wondering if setting them in lemon juice
> > would impede the browning/graying of them a bit. Kind of like what
> > happens with apple slices?

> I do see at least one reference this on the web, so it would worth
> a try.
>
> -sw

Thanks. . .I'm going to try it then!

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 1:07 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:26:52 -0700, kuvasz guy wrote:
> > On Jul 12, 12:04 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> >> Simmer them for 4-5 minutes, then let them dry in a colander on
> >> the counter for a few hours. Add Italian dressing of choice (I
> >> use Girards Italian - just a bit, and some habenero balsamic
> >> vinegar and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

> >> Well, you get the basic idea. This is what I did on Saturday
> >> (and I ate them tonight). This is my normal method for making
> >> them. The simmering is important - don't just use
> >> fresh/unblanched mushrooms.

> > I'd like to try this -- why does the simmering make a difference?
> > changes the texture?

> They soak up and distribute the marinade better than they would if
> they were fresh. The texture is another important aspect.
>
> No need to boil/simmer too long. I really prefer the these better
> - they have a little bit of a bite to them rather than being
> almost mushy.
>
> -sw

thanks -- I'll give it a shot....

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 7:52 pm, wrote:
> I was going to buy some marinated button mushrooms while at the store
> awhile ago. But they were outrageously expensive ($6.49 for a small
> 10 oz jar).
>
> I would really like to try and marinate some fresh ones. . .I've tried
> it a bit in the past, but the mushrooms always turned a gray/brownish
> color, fairly quickly.
>
> Does anyone know a process for marinating mushrooms, that works pretty
> well for them?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoathttp://www.myrljeffcoat.com

My favorite marinated mushroom recipe, from allrecipes:

Simply Marinated Mushrooms

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup water
1 1/2 pounds fresh
mushrooms, stems removed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground black
pepper
3 tablespoons dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add mushrooms and simmer for
10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, thyme, salt, lemon
juice, garlic, pepper, parsley and onion powder. Add mushrooms and
toss until coated. Chill in marinade overnight, and reheat to serve.

They are outstanding! I try to have a batch in the fridge all the
time for snacking in front of the TV.

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 9:55 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> This is too much spice IMO.
>
> Cheap Balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice, 3lbs of mushrooms,
> half the water, and only 5 minutes simmering (plus 3 hours
> drying/draining) would make these better, IMO.
>
> They're still mushrooms.

Have you tried them? I did try cheap balsamic once, but it wasn't as
complimentary a flavor as I thought it would be. Half the water? It
doesn't cover 1 lb. as it is, they end up more steamed than boiled.
And yes, they do have a lot of spice, but served warm with bread for
dunking and they are heavenly. Even my mushroom hating friend
grudgingly admitted that they were "pretty good".

Lynne A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:06:56 -0500, Steve Wertz
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:13:47 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
>> I dunno, my instinct is to neither simmer them nor set them in lemon
>> juice. Lemon juice is going to shrink the mushrooms, as will simmering
>> them, which seems to me to impede the mushrooms' ability to absorb the
>> marinade. I have no personal experience with either, however, it just
>> makes sense to me.

>Try blanching them once and see for yourself. I've done them both
>ways and blanching is far superior, IMNSHO.

Deal - next time I make them, I'll give this a shot and report back.
In fact, I may do a blind study and divide the batch and do 'em both
ways, then see who likes which better.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines