Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crappy fried chicken I made

I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
> It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
> way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
> marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
> just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.
>
> --Bryan

what was wrong with it? the hot sauce too over powering and sickening?
I've done that before

the paprika sounds good

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article . com>,
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
> It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
> way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
> marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
> just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.

Use a meat thermometer and get it right every time. 165 F is safe for
chicken.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:44:52 -0000, ghetto fabulous
> wrote:

>Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>> I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
>> It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
>> way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
>> marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
>> just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.
>>
>> --Bryan

>what was wrong with it? the hot sauce too over powering and sickening?
>I've done that before
>
>the paprika sounds good

Hungarian hot paprika can blow the top of your head off if you're not
careful. Louisiana hot sauce is a mere shadow of it.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 12:28 am, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:44:52 -0000, ghetto fabulous
>
> > wrote:
>
> >Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> >> I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
> >> It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
> >> way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
> >> marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
> >> just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.

> >> --Bryan

> >what was wrong with it? the hot sauce too over powering and sickening?
> >I've done that before

It wasn't too hot, it just didn't taste good. I'm going to throw out
the rest of the paprika. It smelled decent in the can, but I bet it's
gone off.

> >the paprika sounds good

> Hungarian hot paprika can blow the top of your head off if you're not
> careful. Louisiana hot sauce is a mere shadow of it.

I will never again use Louisiana-type hot sauce as anything other than
a condiment for less than perfect food. I should have known better to
begin with.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 11:25 pm, isw > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
> > I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
> > It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
> > way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
> > marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
> > just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.

> Use a meat thermometer and get it right every time. 165 F is safe for
> chicken.

I'd never use a meat thermometer for frying. I never think about the
USDA "safe" temperatures, especially in regards to the internal
temperature of fried chicken pieces. I eat beef raw all the time.
I'm not worried about safely with chicken/turkey breast meat, but
aesthetics. Dried out white meat sucks, as does undercooked. Dark
meat is much easier

> Isaac

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article . com>,
Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> On Jul 10, 11:25 pm, isw > wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > Bobo Bonobo? > wrote:
> >
> > > I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
> > > It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
> > > way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
> > > marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
> > > just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.

> > Use a meat thermometer and get it right every time. 165 F is safe for
> > chicken.

> I'd never use a meat thermometer for frying.

I don't stick it dow in the hot fat; I pull a piece of meat out with
tongs. I don't cook nearly enough of one sort of dish to get a good
"feel" for when it's properly done. The thermometer makes things very
repeatable.

> I never think about the
> USDA "safe" temperatures, especially in regards to the internal
> temperature of fried chicken pieces. I eat beef raw all the time.

"Undercooked" beef is fine; I regularly pull steaks or roasts at 130-135
F. Pork I now cook to about 150 F. Chicken, however has a real risk
associated with it. I was cooking it to 160 F, but my physician (who
also likes to cook) says he won't go below 165, and I respect his
opinion (he pulls beef tenderloins at 128 F, BTW).

> I'm not worried about safely with chicken/turkey breast meat, but
> aesthetics.

How "aesthetic" can you be, doubled over a toilet and heaving? Even
worse, how about your guests?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:44:52 -0000, ghetto fabulous
> > wrote:
>

> >Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> >> I marinated it in Louisiana-type hot sauce and hot Hungarian paprika.
> >> It was not very good. Luckily, I made the cut up fryer the regular
> >> way, and the extra package of backs and necks (only $1.06) the badly
> >> marinated way. Well, the other chicken was good, and I got the breast
> >> just perfect. A couple minutes less and it would have been underdone.
> >>
> >> --Bryan

> >what was wrong with it? the hot sauce too over powering and sickening?
> >I've done that before
> >
> >the paprika sounds good

> Hungarian hot paprika can blow the top of your head off if you're not
> careful. Louisiana hot sauce is a mere shadow of it.

Can you name a brand that's good? I have a generic can can of "hot"
paprika, but it's a lot more bitter than hot.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:34:36 -0700, isw > wrote:

>Can you name a brand that's good? I have a generic can can of "hot"
>paprika, but it's a lot more bitter than hot.

Do you have a Cost Plus near you? They have Hungarian Hot paprika in
a red and white can. I ran out, so I can't tell you if there is a
real brand name.... but Hungarian is in HUGE letters.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:32:36 -0700, isw > wrote:

>In article . com>,
> Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

<snip
>> I never think about the
>> USDA "safe" temperatures, especially in regards to the internal
>> temperature of fried chicken pieces. I eat beef raw all the time.

>"Undercooked" beef is fine; I regularly pull steaks or roasts at 130-135
>F. Pork I now cook to about 150 F. Chicken, however has a real risk
>associated with it. I was cooking it to 160 F, but my physician (who
>also likes to cook) says he won't go below 165, and I respect his
>opinion (he pulls beef tenderloins at 128 F, BTW).
>
>> I'm not worried about safely with chicken/turkey breast meat, but
>> aesthetics.

>How "aesthetic" can you be, doubled over a toilet and heaving? Even
>worse, how about your guests?
>
>Isaac

Your fat is way too hot if the chicken over-browns before it's cooked
through - so if you use a thermometer, use it on the fat. Spend that
nervous energy cleaning your hands, the cutting board and all utensils
that touched the raw bird.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Complia..._Poultr y.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no12/06-0653.htm

Recipes for meringues (italian - cooked), mousses and sauces are at
the end of the following article http://tinyurl.com/23jfjw

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:34:36 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> >Can you name a brand that's good? I have a generic can can of "hot"
> >paprika, but it's a lot more bitter than hot.

> Do you have a Cost Plus near you? They have Hungarian Hot paprika in
> a red and white can. I ran out, so I can't tell you if there is a
> real brand name.... but Hungarian is in HUGE letters.

Thanks; I'll check it out.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:32:36 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> >In article . com>,
> > Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:
> >

> <snip
> >> I never think about the
> >> USDA "safe" temperatures, especially in regards to the internal
> >> temperature of fried chicken pieces. I eat beef raw all the time.

> >"Undercooked" beef is fine; I regularly pull steaks or roasts at 130-135
> >F. Pork I now cook to about 150 F. Chicken, however has a real risk
> >associated with it. I was cooking it to 160 F, but my physician (who
> >also likes to cook) says he won't go below 165, and I respect his
> >opinion (he pulls beef tenderloins at 128 F, BTW).
> >
> >> I'm not worried about safely with chicken/turkey breast meat, but
> >> aesthetics.

> >How "aesthetic" can you be, doubled over a toilet and heaving? Even
> >worse, how about your guests?
> >
> >Isaac

> Your fat is way too hot if the chicken over-browns before it's cooked
> through - so if you use a thermometer, use it on the fat. Spend that
> nervous energy cleaning your hands, the cutting board and all utensils
> that touched the raw bird.

I trim meat on the butcher paper it came home in -- very little cleanup.

Isaac