Reheating ham

Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reheating ham

I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:
I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

You didn't make a spiral cut ham... all you did is open the package,
heat, and eat... what you did is *serve* a spiral cut ham.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?

Maybe... depends on how hot and for how long... reheated the same way
you originally heated it will be fine... low temperature and just long
enough to heat through.

Or should I just nuke it?

Nuking is more likly to over cook ham.

Me, I'd eat that leftover ham cold... just let it thaw in the fridge.
Depending on how much there is I may fix a nice ham sandwich or three,
and then use the remainder, bone, and trimmings to make a big pot of
pea or bean soup.

Sheldon

Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message
I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?

Well, it's dry heat in that oven. It just stands to reason....but you could
experiment with just one slice.

Or should I just nuke it?

Yes. Non-frozen meats warm up pretty quickly. Cover with waxed paper.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:34:50 GMT, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

If you're worried, warm it in a covered casserole with a little added
moisture.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message
I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
Put a water pan in the oven.
Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the oven
at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
It may take several hours.
It should be fine.

Kent

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

I always just nuke ham in a well covered dish.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" wrote:
"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message

... I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
Put a water pan in the oven.
Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the oven
at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
It may take several hours.
It should be fine.

Kent

You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Old 03-07-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" wrote:
"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message

... I made a spiral cut

ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the

slices.
Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
Put a water pan in the oven.
Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the

oven
at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
It may take several hours.
It should be fine.

Kent

You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Lol...this is almost as ridiculous as the "How long to cook instant ramen?"
thread...

--
Best
Greg

Old 04-07-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" wrote:
"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message

... I made a spiral cut
ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
Put a water pan in the oven.
Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the
oven
at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
It may take several hours.
It should be fine.

Kent

You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Once a spiral cut ham goes to the table and the slice removal is started too
much air gets into too many places, and the ham dries out. We don't buy
spiral sliced hams for that reason, no matter how cheap they are at
Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
warming up an already cooked product. If it's not spiraled, you can do it
several times without adverse effect. With spiral slicers that just doesn't
work.

You know the other thing you can do is to put the leftover ham in a braising
pan. Add liquid about 2" up from the bottom, cover and gently braise until
the temp. is reached. Baste now and then. In fact it's probably better than
trying to bake it. We routinely do hams this way, as described by Julia.

Kent
Kent

Kent

Old 04-07-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
warming up an already cooked product.

We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the most
expensive.

If it's not spiraled, you can do it
several times without adverse effect. With spiral slicers that just doesn't
work.

I can do without spiraled hams. They are convenient for some people.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

Once a spiral cut ham goes to the table and the slice removal is
started too much air gets into too many places, and the ham dries
out. We don't buy spiral sliced hams for that reason, no matter how
cheap they are at Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham
all you're doing is warming up an already cooked product. If it's not
spiraled, you can do it several times without adverse effect. With
spiral slicers that just doesn't work.

You know the other thing you can do is to put the leftover ham in a
braising pan. Add liquid about 2" up from the bottom, cover and
gently braise until the temp. is reached. Baste now and then. In
fact it's probably better than trying to bake it. We routinely do
hams this way, as described by Julia.

Kent Kent

Kent

About every 2 weeks, I buy a spiral sliced ham at the supermarket. I
bring it home and I cut the ham off the bone. I put the ham in one of
those square, plastic Glad tupperware-type containers and I refrigerate
it. I freeze the bone and I use that to cook beans, or cabbage, etc.
Maybe I have been lucky, but the ham never seems to try out.

Becca
Old 04-07-2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?

Yes.

Or should I just nuke it?

Definitely. Use the medium setting for a minute or two per portion.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote in message
"Kent" wrote:

Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
warming up an already cooked product.

We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the most
expensive.

Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in the
U.S. are the
dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham]. They're
a lot more than $1.29/lb.

Kent

Old 04-07-2007, 04:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Kent" wrote:

"Dan Abel" wrote in message

We buy uncooked hams. They are cheaper and taste better. In the US at
Easter time, they just about give them away, US$1.29 a pound, sometimes
less. The whole hams are the cheapest, but that's way more than we can
eat. The shank half is cheaper, but we tend to burn the bone, making
the house smell bad. So we usually get the butt half, which is the most
expensive.

Do you mean uncured fresh ham? The cured uncooked ham I'm aware of in the
U.S. are the
dry cured Virginia hams and Smithfield Hams[a form of Virginia ham]. They're
a lot more than $1.29/lb.

They are cured, but I suspect wet rather than dry.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I made a spiral cut ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
I thawed them out this week.

If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
Or should I just nuke it?

I always just nuke ham in a well covered dish.
--

How do you nuke a whole, or remaining, leftover ham?
What kind of nuker do you use?