Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-07-01) Survey on the RFC site: Packed 'lunches'

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

I WON! May I give the hat to Little Malice, please? I already have the
beanie from my last win. I still feel guilty telling her I didn't care
about winning a hat, when I really did and I believe I kept her from
beating me the last time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

Oh crap, I SO wanted a tiara, dammit. Guess I can hang up my gown and take
off my fake 24k earrings. Really blows my day to hell. And I obviously won't
need this belly button piercing either.

And I was gonna go out tonight!!!

Friggin' surveys!!!

Andy
Voter #2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan said...

> Andy <q> dropped this turd : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> Chatty Cathy said...
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)

>> Oh crap, I SO wanted a tiara, dammit. Guess I can hang up my gown and
>> take off my fake 24k earrings. Really blows my day to hell. And I
>> obviously won't need this belly button piercing either.
>>
>> And I was gonna go out tonight!!!
>>
>> Friggin' surveys!!!
>>
>> Andy
>> Voter #2

> I already won a tiara. You can borrow mine.
>
> Michael

You won a tiara??

Well that's the best offer I've had all day!

Much appreciated!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jul 2007 17:18:27 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Chatty Cathy wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)

>The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
>didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
>regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.

and there are some people who eat in regular restaurants daily. How
about those who get take out from a deli (a sandwich, pasta, risotto
etc)... but not McDonald's type fast food?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I noticed a little something interesting about the survey results.
More folks responding answered that they did not have a spouse at
home.

Which brings up something kind of interesting, which I was thinking
about the other day. . .I really much more love cooking now, rather
than when I had family at home. Why is that?

I suspect, it's because I can conjure a special recipe in my head to
cook on special occassions when family or friends come to visit. . .It
wasn't all that special when it was a needed and "expected" task, 3
times a day, day in-and-day out! Back then, I was in "just get it on
the table" mode.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

On Jul 1, 9:32 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)

> The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
> didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
> regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.

OK. So what does your "regularly scheduled Chinese food day" entail?
Do you order Chinese food "in" and eat it at the office, or do you cook
Chinese at home and bring it to work, or go out to a Chinese
restaurant... or what?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2007 17:18:27 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
>> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)

>> The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
>> didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
>> regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.
>>

> and there are some people who eat in regular restaurants daily. How
> about those who get take out from a deli (a sandwich, pasta, risotto
> etc)... but not McDonald's type fast food?

Well, I was one of "those people" when I worked... I sometimes ate at a
local restaurant or got take out to eat at my desk (indeed, *not*
McDonalds - yuk) - and very occasionally I ate at the cafeteria - the
food there was mediocre and just as expensive as eating elsewhere.
Therefore, I "Never" took a 'packed lunch' to work...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On 1 Jul 2007 17:18:27 GMT, "Default User" >
>> wrote:

>>> The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
>>> didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
>>> regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.
>>>

>> and there are some people who eat in regular restaurants daily. How
>> about those who get take out from a deli (a sandwich, pasta, risotto
>> etc)... but not McDonald's type fast food?
>>

> Well, I was one of "those people" when I worked... I sometimes ate at
> a local restaurant or got take out to eat at my desk (indeed, *not*
> McDonalds - yuk) - and very occasionally I ate at the cafeteria - the
> food there was mediocre and just as expensive as eating elsewhere.
> Therefore, I "Never" took a 'packed lunch' to work...

I always brought my lunch, except during the quarterly software update.
Then the company had lunch brought in for us. No matter how stringently the
software was tested someone always managed to sneak in a last minute
something which caused all hell to break loose!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On 1 Jul 2007 17:18:27 GMT, "Default User" >
>> wrote:

>>> The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
>>> didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
>>> regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.
>>>

>> and there are some people who eat in regular restaurants daily. How
>> about those who get take out from a deli (a sandwich, pasta, risotto
>> etc)... but not McDonald's type fast food?
>>

> Well, I was one of "those people" when I worked... I sometimes ate at a
> local restaurant or got take out to eat at my desk (indeed, *not*
> McDonalds - yuk) - and very occasionally I ate at the cafeteria - the
> food there was mediocre and just as expensive as eating elsewhere.
> Therefore, I "Never" took a 'packed lunch' to work...

I worked at one place where the cafeteria food was like eating at
grandmas (where grandma was an excellent cook). Everything was made in
the kitchen from real ingredients with a nicely varied menu. There was
absolutely no industrial food to be found. A couple of local women ran
it and the company didn't charge them anything so effectively it was
subsidized by the company and the prices were very reasonable. It didn't
even make sense to pack a lunch.

Occasionally I eat lunch with a buddy who is on staff at the local
Catholic hospital. They have a similar setup there to what I described
and the food is always great and reasonable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Occasionally I eat lunch with a buddy who is on staff at the local
> Catholic hospital. They have a similar setup there to what I described
> and the food is always great and reasonable.

One of the managers where I worked told me his parents would go to a nearby
hospital once or twice a month to have dinner in the cafeteria. I'd never
heard of anyone doing that before!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> George wrote:
>> Occasionally I eat lunch with a buddy who is on staff at the local
>> Catholic hospital. They have a similar setup there to what I described
>> and the food is always great and reasonable.

> One of the managers where I worked told me his parents would go to a nearby
> hospital once or twice a month to have dinner in the cafeteria. I'd never
> heard of anyone doing that before!
>
> Jill

One Catholic hospital I worked at about 10 years ago was pretty small,
and the cafeteria limited. But this hospital still made things from
scratch and everything was really delicious! They offered a healthy
discount to the staff so you could get a full meal, drink, dessert for
perhaps 3-4 bucks?? They encouraged the community to eat there, and many
did before or after doctors office visits and such. I wonder if they're
still as good? The inpatient meals were as good as the cafeteria meals too.
Hospital food (inpatient) can be scary stuff sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Default User wrote:

> > The choices were either too specific or not specific enough, as it
> > didn't allow mine. I take lunch four days a week, because there's a
> > regularly scheduled Chinese food day once a week.

> OK. So what does your "regularly scheduled Chinese food day" entail?
> Do you order Chinese food "in" and eat it at the office, or do you
> cook Chinese at home and bring it to work, or go out to a Chinese
> restaurant... or what?

The secretary has a sign-up sheet, people write down what they want,
she calls in a delivery order, then we all eat together in a conference
room if one is available.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:04:54 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>George wrote:
>> Occasionally I eat lunch with a buddy who is on staff at the local
>> Catholic hospital. They have a similar setup there to what I described
>> and the food is always great and reasonable.

>One of the managers where I worked told me his parents would go to a nearby
>hospital once or twice a month to have dinner in the cafeteria. I'd never
>heard of anyone doing that before!

I've heard of it. One of our local hospitals will allow any senior to
eat in the cafeteria... all you need to do is prove you're a senior.
I'm not sure how they can tell outsider seniors from seniors who are
visiting loved ones, though.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 12:32 pm, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Interesting responses. We have a room with refrigerators and
microwaves that is called the cafeteria, so I said no, we don't have
one. Some people go out fairly often to grab a sandwich or Chinese
food, but none of the local stuff really appeals to me so I don't
usually go or ask them to pick me up stuff.

OTOH, people are always bringing stuff in, and leaving leftovers with
"eat me" signs on them. One guy has someone who visits his family
regularly and brings a store-bought cake, which none of them like, so
he brings that in. Others decide that they want a doughnut, so will
buy a box of a dozen, and leave the rest on the table. Cold pizza
very often. And of course baked goods (here, try my new recipe for
broccoli danish/my 6-year old twins baked cookies and decorated them)

Our whole building is around 20 people so it's sort of like family.
Most of us have been there 10-30 years....

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
>Vote now! (or not)

Bizarre "inadequate choices" response #24:

I eat twice at work. At 11 am I go out for lunch. Then at
3 pm I eat food I've brought. Usually a protein bar and
a banana. They're serious protein bars, so it's about as
many calories as any other normal meal I eat.

So the poll needs a choice for "both".

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> One of the managers where I worked told me his parents would go to a
> nearby
> hospital once or twice a month to have dinner in the cafeteria. I'd never
> heard of anyone doing that before!
>
> Jill

Our local hospital used to advertise the cafeteria in the newspaper. They
also did catering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 12:32 pm, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

I drive home (4.8 miles) nearly every day and fix lunch. While I'm
there,
I usually do a little housework--e.g., empty the dishwasher. I'd go
postal
if I stayed at the office.

Once a week or so I go out for lunch. There's a nice Vietnamese
restaurant that's
pretty close, but today it'll be a Mediterranean restaurant
(everything from salad
Nicoise to burek, from cuisines all around the Med).

If my car's in the shop, I brownbag it, but that only happens about
once
every couple of years.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:04:54 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> George wrote:
>>> Occasionally I eat lunch with a buddy who is on staff at the local
>>> Catholic hospital. They have a similar setup there to what I
>>> described and the food is always great and reasonable.

>> One of the managers where I worked told me his parents would go to a
>> nearby hospital once or twice a month to have dinner in the
>> cafeteria. I'd never heard of anyone doing that before!
>>

> I've heard of it. One of our local hospitals will allow any senior to
> eat in the cafeteria... all you need to do is prove you're a senior.
> I'm not sure how they can tell outsider seniors from seniors who are
> visiting loved ones, though.

I'm not sure this hospital cared if you were a senior or not, or visiting a
friend or relative. The food wasn't free but it was cheaper than restaurant
(cafeteria-style) fare. He said his parents raved about it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I work from home full time so I pretty much always cook lunch in my own
kitchen.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, margaret suran >
said:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now! (or not)

> I WON! May I give the hat to Little Malice, please? I already have the
> beanie from my last win. I still feel guilty telling her I didn't care
> about winning a hat, when I really did and I believe I kept her from
> beating me the last time.

Oh, Margaret, you're such a peach... :-)

--
Jani in WA