Lasagna in Aluminum Pan

Old 28-06-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lasagna in Aluminum Pan

Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with the
tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large group
and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

Old 28-06-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 1:11 pm, "bworthey" wrote:
Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with the
tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large group
and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

The foil pan is no more or less harmful than any other aluminium
cookware, that is to say quite benign. There was a scare about
aluminium concerning altzheimers (spelling?) disease but it has been
debunked. Millions of people have been using aluminium cookware for
decades and come to no harm. Yes it is true that acidic sauces (eg
with tomato) will dissolve aluminium a lttle faster than plain water
but it is not significant for health.

David

Old 28-06-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"bworthey" wrote in message
Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with
the tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large
group and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

Sometimes the tomato sauce, being acidic, can give a metalic off taste. You
can always line the pan with parchment paper.

Old 28-06-2007, 08:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:19:03 -0700, "
wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:11 pm, "bworthey" wrote:
Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with the
tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large group
and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

The foil pan is no more or less harmful than any other aluminium
cookware, that is to say quite benign. There was a scare about
aluminium concerning altzheimers (spelling?) disease but it has been
debunked. Millions of people have been using aluminium cookware for
decades and come to no harm. Yes it is true that acidic sauces (eg
with tomato) will dissolve aluminium a lttle faster than plain water
but it is not significant for health.

David

so you say... aluminum still scares me
Old 28-06-2007, 12:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 11:11?pm, "bworthey" wrote:
Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with the
tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large group
and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

The aluminum pan won't harm the lasagna but the lasagna can harm the
aluminum pan. Acidic food such as tomato will set off an electrolytic
reaction (same as an acid cell battery) that will cause the aluminum
to decay. With thin foil pans the acidic tomato will cause holes to
form. It's okay to cook in the aluminum pans but not a good idea to
store foods in aluminum for any lenth of time, no more than 24 hours.
Actually the electrolytic reaction will not occur where there is
direct contact, only where there is a very narrow air gap, such as
when using foil as a cover, then pin holes will form where the
aluminuun comes very near the acidic food but not where it actually
makes contact. If you cook your lasagna in disposable aluminum pans
use plastic wrap to cover the left overs and it will be fine... but
still do not store foods in aluminum (or any metasl cookware for that
matter, not stainless steel either) for more than 24 hours. With
strongly flavored foods such as lasagna most people will not detect an
off flavor, but when cooking delicately flavored foods such as fish
(especially seafood) and veal it's best not to use aluminum,
especially if citrus is involved. Also, those who use iodized salt,
get rid of your aluminum cookware... all seafood contains iodine, the
reaction with aluminum is nasty.

Old 28-06-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"bworthey" wrote:

Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with the
tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large group
and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

Yes.

The acid in tomato dissolves the aluminum.

Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.

I once made the mistake of covering a tomato based dish with aluminum
foil and it ate holes in the foil leaving nasty black bitter spots on
top of my food, and visible holes in the foil.

I had to scrape it all off.

It's a very bad idea to combine tomato and aluminum.

I no longer own any aluminum cookware and I'm a lot more careful now
with foil.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-06-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
" wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:11 pm, "bworthey" wrote:
Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with the
tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large group
and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?

B-Worthey

The foil pan is no more or less harmful than any other aluminium
cookware, that is to say quite benign. There was a scare about
aluminium concerning altzheimers (spelling?) disease but it has been
debunked. Millions of people have been using aluminium cookware for
decades and come to no harm. Yes it is true that acidic sauces (eg
with tomato) will dissolve aluminium a lttle faster than plain water
but it is not significant for health.

David

I don't worry about health with it as much as appearance and flavor.

Aluminum oxide in your food is ugly and tastes bad.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-06-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

The acid in tomato dissolves the aluminum.

Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.

I once made the mistake of covering a tomato based dish with aluminum
foil and it ate holes in the foil leaving nasty black bitter spots on
top of my food, and visible holes in the foil.

I've often covered lasagna in foil (when doing the uncooked pasta
method) and have NEVER seen holes develop, and somehow commercial frozen
lasagna uses aluminum all the time without problem.
Old 28-06-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

:
: Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.
:
: I once made the mistake of covering a tomato based dish with aluminum
: foil and it ate holes in the foil leaving nasty black bitter spots on
: top of my food, and visible holes in the foil.

: I've often covered lasagna in foil (when doing the uncooked pasta
: method) and have NEVER seen holes develop, and somehow commercial frozen
: lasagna uses aluminum all the time without problem.

Your lasagna may not have tomato sauce directly in contact with the
foil, or else you didn't look closely enough. I've seen it quite
a few times! Do a simple test - put a piece of foil into a dish
containing tomato sauce overnight. Then put your glasses on and
take a good look.
Old 28-06-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The acid in tomato dissolves the aluminum.

Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.

I once made the mistake of covering a tomato based dish with aluminum
foil and it ate holes in the foil leaving nasty black bitter spots on
top of my food, and visible holes in the foil.

I've often covered lasagna in foil (when doing the uncooked pasta
method) and have NEVER seen holes develop, and somehow commercial frozen
lasagna uses aluminum all the time without problem.

Yep.

I'm always wrong and you are always right.

I made a mistake clearing you from my killfile.

I took it hot to a potluck.

The tomato ate holes in regular reynolds wrap and left black spots on my
food. Mom chewed me out for the error.

Whatever floats your boat.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-06-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The acid in tomato dissolves the aluminum.

Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.

Well, I'm not sure, either, I cover my lasagna with aluminum foil and have
never had that problem, but it may not have come in contact either. I need
to figure this out because I'm getting ready to cook a lot of lasagna and
had planned on doing it in aluminum foil pans, I"m not going to leave it
stored in there, just cook it in there. But I don't knwo what to do know.
My church does not have enough of the big pans for me to not have to cook at
least 2 batches of it, but then I don't know what I'd do with what was
already cooked. I don't know what to do, and I have to do something before
tomorrow!!!!

Freaking out here!

B-Worthey

Old 28-06-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"bworthey" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The acid in tomato dissolves the aluminum.

Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.

Well, I'm not sure, either, I cover my lasagna with aluminum foil and have
never had that problem, but it may not have come in contact either. I need
to figure this out because I'm getting ready to cook a lot of lasagna and
had planned on doing it in aluminum foil pans, I"m not going to leave it
stored in there, just cook it in there. But I don't knwo what to do know.
My church does not have enough of the big pans for me to not have to cook at
least 2 batches of it, but then I don't know what I'd do with what was
already cooked. I don't know what to do, and I have to do something before
tomorrow!!!!

Freaking out here!

B-Worthey

Sorry... :-)

You could line the pans?

Mom always used glass to cook Lasagna.

If I had not had this actually happen to me (and got my nose rubbed into
what happened by my now deceased mom), I would not have bothered to
mention it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-06-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 1:15?pm, "bworthey" wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message

news
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The acid in tomato dissolves the aluminum.

Never cook ANYTHING acidic in aluminum.

Well, I'm not sure, either, I cover my lasagna with aluminum foil and have
never had that problem, but it may not have come in contact either. I need
to figure this out because I'm getting ready to cook a lot of lasagna and
had planned on doing it in aluminum foil pans, I"m not going to leave it
stored in there, just cook it in there. But I don't knwo what to do know.
My church does not have enough of the big pans for me to not have to cook at
least 2 batches of it, but then I don't know what I'd do with what was
already cooked. I don't know what to do, and I have to do something before
tomorrow!!!!

Freaking out here!

It's a church feed... pray a lot! Then serve bologna-yaller musturd
sandwiches. LOL

I would strongly suggest you buy the largest foil pans that will fit
comforably in whatever oven you're using... you should be able to
easily feed 20 from a large pan, you don't need to mess with ten teeny
weeny pans. If you go to a party supply emporium they will sell you
large foil pans with those foil lined cardboard lids for baking...
they also have clear domed plastic lids for presentation and/or fridge
storage. I think you're making much more drama out of this than is
necessary, you seem to be unreasonably consumed with aluminum, are you
hitting the church wine locker? I'm serious.

Old 28-06-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Actually, science says it. Superstitions and personal phobias are optional.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com