Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ann Ann is offline

Default Lasagna in Aluminum Pan

On 6/29/07 8:52 AM, in article
, "Omelet" <ADDRESS>
wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:

>>> Yep.
>>>
>>> I'm always wrong and you are always right.
>>>
>>> I made a mistake clearing you from my killfile.
>>>
>>> I took it hot to a potluck.
>>>
>>> The tomato ate holes in regular reynolds wrap and left black spots on my
>>> food. Mom chewed me out for the error.
>>>
>>> Whatever floats your boat.

>> I believe you were the only one who said it would cause holes. I
>> responded that in my experience I'd never had this problem and that
>> commercial manufacturers seem to manage also?
>> YOU seem to have a need to toss logic out of the window and assume my
>> experience somehow is "picking on you" instead of just me providing
>> alternative experience.
>> Shame your mom "chewed you out" for doing something that plenty of other
>> people and companies do routinely and never have a problem.

> It's the WAY you answer my posts! You have yet to ever agree with
> anything I post and you always answer them in a negative manner, as if
> you are trying to make me look like a liar or an idiot.
>
> You are a very negative person.
>
> What is wrong with you???
>
> I was merely stating experience I have had covering tomato dishes with
> aluminum foil! Are you calling me a liar or something? For crying out
> loud!!!
>
> I covered a tomato based cassarole with some aluminum foil for a potluck.
> When I got to the party, the foil was full of little holes and there
> were ugly bitter black spots all over the top of the food where the foil
> had dissolved.

I've had the same experience with aluminum FOIL but no problem with aluminum
pans -- even the disposable ones.

Whatever. Is it necessary to be so ugly to someone who just wanted some
info?

BTW, I solve the foil (which is fairly leak proof) over tomato based
casseroles for transporting dilemma by placing a layer of waxed paper over
the casserole before the foil. If it's a cheesy top I spray the downside of
the paper with no-stick spray.

Blessings,
Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ann > wrote:

> I've had the same experience with aluminum FOIL but no problem with aluminum
> pans -- even the disposable ones.

I have found that acidic dishes discolors them and influences the flavor
of the food.

> Whatever. Is it necessary to be so ugly to someone who just wanted some
> info?

Goober is always ugly to me.
I've re-killfiled her as I don't need the ugliness in my life. ;-)

> BTW, I solve the foil (which is fairly leak proof) over tomato based
> casseroles for transporting dilemma by placing a layer of waxed paper over
> the casserole before the foil. If it's a cheesy top I spray the downside of
> the paper with no-stick spray.
>
> Blessings,
> Ann

Good idea!
Disposable pans are handy. If there is a way to get around the
reactivity, that's cool.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Ann wrote:
> > I've had the same experience with aluminum FOIL but no problem with aluminum
> > pans -- even the disposable ones.

> I have found that acidic dishes discolors them and influences the flavor
> of the food.
>

> > BTW, I solve the foil (which is fairly leak proof) over tomato based
> > casseroles for transporting dilemma by placing a layer of waxed paper over
> > the casserole before the foil. If it's a cheesy top I spray the downside of
> > the paper with no-stick spray.

> Good idea!
> Disposable pans are handy. If there is a way to get around the
> reactivity, that's cool.

Condoms!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 11:59 am, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:29:51 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> small

> it

> > >I have the right to defend myself when you call me a liar.

> > >I really really really wish you'd killfile me.
> > >I'm sick to death of your attacks on me, always attempting to discredit
> > >me.

> > >I'm not going to take it any more.

> > girl fight tonight!

> Isn't it a full moon...???
>
> --
> Best
> Greg- Hide quoted text -

A waning full moon thank gawd;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Condoms!
>
> Sheldon

I keep a condom on the TV remote control in the kitchen. I can see
through it and the condom keeps the remote clean.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bworthey" > wrote in message
> Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
> lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with
> the tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large
> group and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?
>
> B-Worthey

I think too many people freak out over cooking in aluminum. If there is a
risk it is small. I don't think there is. Far too many food items come in to
contact with aluminum. Aluminum is used in many restaurants, soda cans, foil
covered yogurt, etc. I has been used far too long for there to be a problem.
I wouldn't worry about.

Somebody!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "bworthey" > wrote in message
>> Okay, just read something disturbing, just read somewhere, NOT to cook
>> lasagna in an aluminum foil pan because something about it reacting with
>> the tomato sauce.....I'm the one that posted about cooking for the large
>> group and this is what I had planned to do. Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> B-Worthey
>>

> I think too many people freak out over cooking in aluminum. If there is a
> risk it is small. I don't think there is. Far too many food items come in to
> contact with aluminum. Aluminum is used in many restaurants, soda cans, foil
> covered yogurt, etc. I has been used far too long for there to be a problem.
> I wouldn't worry about.

As for as cans for soda (and beer), aren't the insides coated? I don't
have any to cut open to see.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> As for as cans for soda (and beer), aren't the insides coated? I don't
> have any to cut open to see.

I've never noticed the inside of a can of soda to be coated in anything?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 11:26?am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > As for as cans for soda (and beer), aren't the insides coated? I don't
> > have any to cut open to see.

> I've never noticed the inside of a can of soda to be coated in anything?

But they are, with a thin transparent food grade plastic film... all
metal cans are coated these days... they're called can condoms! hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:39:00 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>they're called can condoms! hehe

They're not called "candoms"?
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
> > As for as cans for soda (and beer), aren't the insides coated? I
> > don't have any to cut open to see.
> >

> I've never noticed the inside of a can of soda to be coated in
> anything?

They are though. Otherwise, the phosphoric acid in sodas would eat
right through the can.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> As for as cans for soda (and beer), aren't the insides coated? I don't
>> have any to cut open to see.
>>

> I've never noticed the inside of a can of soda to be coated in anything?

I don't know -- have you?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:54:44 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> The aluminum pan won't harm the lasagna but the lasagna can harm the
>> aluminum pan. Acidic food such as tomato will set off an electrolytic
>> reaction (same as an acid cell battery) that will cause the aluminum
>> to decay.

> And when I cover the rest of the ran with foil, the tomato sauce
> eats through the foil, and that 'decay' is now on top of my
> lasagna. I've never had problem with the pans, just any foil I
> over tomato sauce.

I've had that happen with foil and other food, too -- it's not limited
to tomatoes.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:54:44 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > The aluminum pan won't harm the lasagna but the lasagna can harm the
> > aluminum pan. Acidic food such as tomato will set off an electrolytic
> > reaction (same as an acid cell battery) that will cause the aluminum
> > to decay.

> And when I cover the rest of the ran with foil, the tomato sauce
> eats through the foil, and that 'decay' is now on top of my
> lasagna. I've never had problem with the pans, just any foil I
> over tomato sauce.
>
> So yeah - Sheldon is right, as usual.
>
> -sw

That makes 4 of us that have experienced that now.
Tomato eating thru a foil covering...

I've also seen tomato dishes discolor the inside of disposable foil
pans, but they are thick enough that they don't generally get eaten thru
all the way.

I no longer cook any acidic foods in aluminum, not do I own aluminum
cookware.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >
> >> As for as cans for soda (and beer), aren't the insides coated? I don't
> >> have any to cut open to see.
> >>

> > I've never noticed the inside of a can of soda to be coated in anything?

> I don't know -- have you?

Goober is perfect.
She is never wrong...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:21:18 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:
> >
> >> And when I cover the rest of the ran with foil, the tomato sauce
> >> eats through the foil, and that 'decay' is now on top of my
> >> lasagna. I've never had problem with the pans, just any foil I
> >> over tomato sauce.
> >>
> >> So yeah - Sheldon is right, as usual.

> > That makes 4 of us that have experienced that now.
> > Tomato eating thru a foil covering...

> I didn't realize I was posting to a two-week old thread.
>
> -sw

Oh well. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>>> I've never noticed the inside of a can of soda to be coated in anything?

>> I don't know -- have you?

> Goober is perfect.
> She is never wrong...

You never had many friends in school, did you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 9:27 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> >> I don't know -- have you?

> > Goober is perfect.
> > She is never wrong...

> You never had many friends in school, did you?

CAT FIGHT! CAT FIGHT!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> > anything? >> I don't know -- have you?
> >
> > > Goober is perfect.
> > > She is never wrong...

> > You never had many friends in school, did you?

> CAT FIGHT! CAT FIGHT!

It's the same one. It got tiresome long ago.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Dee Dee wrote:

> > > anything? >> I don't know -- have you?

> > > You never had many friends in school, did you?

> > CAT FIGHT! CAT FIGHT!

> It's the same one. It got tiresome long ago.
>

> Brian

And since I have her killfiled, it does not work anyway.

<yawn>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.