Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For my birthday

D gave me a hammock. So I took the day off and read Julia Child's
biography in the yard. I wonder if evergene and Alan (hahabogus) had
a day as pleasant as mine?

I cooked this for dinner:

http://i16.tinypic.com/4kwfklf.jpg

The chicken thighs were dressed with an olive paste made from green
olives (nothing fancy, just the pimiento-stuffed ones you get in the
supermarket) seasoned with basil, lemon verbena, and black pepper
(lots), and then made more workable in the mini chopper with some
lemon juice and olive oil. After it was ground up nicely, I stuffed
it under the skin of some chicken thighs. They got grilled till most
of the fat had melted away. Mostly I cooked them with indirect heat.

The asparagus was grilled on a grill topper. That's a chipotle
mayonnaise dolloped on them.

For the grilled salad, I seasoned and oiled up some patty pan squash,
some yellow crook neck squash, a red onion, and some mushrooms.
Everything was grilled till it had some color and was soft. Then I
chopped it all and tossed it in lemon juice and garlic-infused olive
oil.

I think I'll shop on line tonight and get that left-handed Shun
santoku I've been pining for.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in news:1182220346.800808.4570
@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> I wonder if evergene and Alan (hahabogus) had
> a day as pleasant as mine?

Well I celibrated my birthing Day mostly on fridy night with family and
Saturday with friends. Which was easier on my kids' schedule (I'm
flexible). Ate out with my daughter and her hubby... Chinese food and
dessert at home a SpongeBob SquarePants IceCream Cake. A LeeValley gift
card and a Paddle ball as gifts. There is something quite hillarious
about watching adult people trying to master a paddle ball. I got it to
hit the paddle 2 times in a row. The record for the night was 5 in a row.
Dinner at friends on Saturday, quiet relaxed chatting amongst friends....

Sunday night I baked a Birthday Bundt Cake to take to work on Monday. It
was well recieved, but a tad sweet for my tastes...hence next time the
crush walnuts.

even though I pamed and floured the bundt pan, the cake stuck a
bit...Next time I'll try that flour in a spray can stuff.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake

alan, cakes, tested

pam to prep tube pan
flour for dusting
4 oz german chocolate(not avail)
1 18.25 oz pkg plain yellow cake mix
1 3.4 oz pkg pistashio instant puddingt mix
1 cup whole milk
-----or -----
1 cup sour cream plus 1/4 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 cup walnuts; crushed
1.5 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
icing sugar for garnish; see notes*

Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F.
Pam a 10 inch bunt pan then dust with flour; shake out excess.
Finely Grate german chocolate.(German chocolate is a sweet Baking
chocolate). (a good substute is milk chocolate) I just uped the mini
chocolate chips from 1 cup to 1.5 cups.

Add cake mix, pudding mix ,milk or sour cream (add 1/4 cup water if using
sourcream),oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Mix on low speed for a
minute then fold in the grated chocolate and scrape down the sides.
Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes more, scraping down the
sides if required. fold in the chocolate chips. The batter should look
well blended and chocolate chips evenly distributed.

Pour batter into prepared tube pan.

Bake cake till golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed 50 to
60 minutes.(more like 65 minutes)

additions/mods :
the sour cream, the 1/4 cup water as the batter seemed too thick.
extra mini choc chips, walnuts to take away from the sweetness (future).
pistashio instead of the vanilla pudding recipe stated, the glaze.

Dust with icing sugar or use.

Chocolate Glaze
1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons skim milk or strong coffee

In a small bowl stir together sifted confectioner's sugar, cocoa,
milk/coffee, and until smooth. Add a few drops of milk/coffee, if needed,
to achieve desired consistency.

Contributor: modified from Cake Doctor CookBook

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:32:26 -0700, wrote:

>D gave me a hammock. So I took the day off and read Julia Child's
>biography in the yard. I wonder if evergene and Alan (hahabogus) had
>a day as pleasant as mine?
>
>I cooked this for dinner:

http://i16.tinypic.com/4kwfklf.jpg

snippage

>modom

Man, how good is that, what a great day.

Dinner looks good too.
Happy belated

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/10

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

No birthday for us! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 04-11-2011 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday, Dear Margaret, Happy Birthday to You-u-u-u Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 28 11-09-2007 08:43 PM
D's birthday Michael Odom General Cooking 5 13-05-2005 12:25 PM
it's my birthday sf General Cooking 1 22-03-2005 05:30 PM
it's my birthday sf General Cooking 1 22-03-2005 08:16 AM