Seasonings you use instead of salt

Old 18-06-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Old 18-06-2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:38:10 -0000, maxine in ri
wrote:

My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

Nothing... I use more pepper. Have you seen the various flavored
peppers in grinders? I keep lemon pepper in the grinder/jar on my
table.

Some things just need a little salt (no matter what you do) or else
they taste flat. I don't meant salting at the table though. The
amount of salt someone would normally add at the table would do for an
entire pot of soup, for instance.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 18-06-2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote :
What do others use in place of salt?

Rosemary, on braised and roasted pork or chicken, means
I don't need any salt at all. But then I am not a big salt person.

Old 18-06-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
applications and in limited quantities.

Pete C.
Old 18-06-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in message ...

Nothing... I use more pepper. Have you seen the various flavored
peppers in grinders? I keep lemon pepper in the grinder/jar on my
table.

yeah, it's better to let our taste buds calm down

Old 18-06-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 2:16 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
maxine in ri wrote:

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
applications and in limited quantities.

Pete C.

Ah! Which spices? I use as Michael does, Mrs Dash mixes (lemon
pepper, original, and tomato basil), but I like to do my own spicing,
so am looking for suggestions. With over 100 bottles on my spice
racks (some dupes, some ground/whole/crushed, some mixes), I'm
interested in hearing what other folks add rather than my usual
"throw the spice rack in the pot" sort of seasoning.

I usually use a small amount of salt in the cooking, but for DM and
DS, any salt is too much. Freakin' pains in the butt....

(I'm losing it- the weather is getting hot and humid, and I'm just
not my usual sweet self)

maxine in ri

Old 18-06-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Fresh lemon juice or grated fresh lemon rind.

Dimitri

Old 18-06-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

I have always liked the Mrs. Dash selection of salt-free seasonings. And I
have a collection of Penzey's seasonings that are salt-free as well. Adobo
immediately springs to mind simply because I use it the most for pork and
chicken.

Jill

Old 18-06-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri said...

What do others use in place of salt?

No salt.

Andy
Old 18-06-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
maxine in ri dropped this turd
oups.com: in
rec.food.cooking

My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them,
I try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that
salt does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my
variations, but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes
curry or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy
food person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Maxine, I am not on a sodium restricted diet although it has been
mentioned by my doctor. Knock on wood, the bp is normal and no more
heart problems lately. OTOH, I have really cut back on salt where I
can. I use Mrs. Dash products sometimes. Fresh lemon juice and
cracked pepper is great on baked potatoes and some pasta dishes I
make as well as fish. I use rosemary sometimes and it's amazing the
zing and seasoning a smidge of powdered mustard will give to certain
dishes. I rely on the Mrs. Dash line. They seem to have a decent
mixture of spices and a wide variety of different mixes. Two that
come to mind are the "Garlic and Herb" blend and one called a "Table
Blend."

Michael

I agree with Michael; lemon is excellent for seasoning. I rarely use salt
in anything. I use lemon, vinegar, herbs, oils, etc.

What I've learned from not using salt is that just about anything cooked
outside my house is not palatable. Everything else is *way* too salty.
It's kind of a bummer when you go out to a friend's house or a restaurant,
but I'll take a sensitive palate any day over a salt-laden one. :~)

kili

Old 18-06-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

[...]

Penzeys Mural of Flavor mix. Penzeys Florida Seasoned Pepper mix.
Lemon pepper.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Old 18-06-2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

On Jun 18, 2:16 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
maxine in ri wrote:

[...]

What I use depends on what I'm making. Usual suspects include garlic
(powder), basil, oregano, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Others
range from chipotle powder to cardamom as appropriate.

Mostly wet here north of Dallas at the moment, several towns under
water. Just soggy here fortunately. My pond level went up at least a
foot overnight.

Pete C.
Old 18-06-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Black pepper on most things.
Celery flakes, basil, oregano on lighter things.
Mix some spices on your own and experiment.

Old 18-06-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
J S

Seasonings you use instead of salt

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Mon, Jun 18, 2007, 4:38pm (EDT+4) From:
(maxine*in*ri)

"What do others use in place of salt?"
maxine in ri

I always Taste'before'I add anything and after.Some cooks on TV throw
salt in without tasting it before or after..
Dont use salt.I let them add their own,as long as it tates good at the
and without the salt.I use lots of pepper and garlic powder
Cheers.Smitty

Old 18-06-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

I have no medical reason to watch my salt intake but still I use very
minimal salt in dishes and never put a salt shaker out just for me and
only if someone asks. I find that sour negates the desire for salt
for me... I like different vinegars. And I use fresh herbs too. I
don't notice the salt is missing from a vinaigrette or a marinade.
But this is not to say that I don't enjoy some salty foods too, like
pickles, olives, coldcuts, canned fish, etc., but I don't eat those
very often. I think people miss not having salt much more just
because they're told to cut back. And most of the salt folks injest
they get from processed foods... cook more meals from scratch and shy
away from restaurants and you'll automatically cut your salt intake
way down.

Also there are condiments that you can easily prepare yourself and
leave out the salt, I often prepare my own mustards, and horseradish.
I promise that if you schmear a little hot oriental mustard on a slab
of meat/fish/poultry you'll never miss the salt... blend your rmustard
with some horseradish, serve with no salt added meat loaf and you'll
not think about salt.

Sheldon