Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
person.)

What do others use in place of salt?

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:38:10 -0000, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
>try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
>does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
>but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
>I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
>or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
>person.)
>
>What do others use in place of salt?

Nothing... I use more pepper. Have you seen the various flavored
peppers in grinders? I keep lemon pepper in the grinder/jar on my
table.

Some things just need a little salt (no matter what you do) or else
they taste flat. I don't meant salting at the table though. The
amount of salt someone would normally add at the table would do for an
entire pot of soup, for instance.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote :>
> What do others use in place of salt?

Rosemary, on braised and roasted pork or chicken, means
I don't need any salt at all. But then I am not a big salt person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
applications and in limited quantities.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

> Nothing... I use more pepper. Have you seen the various flavored
> peppers in grinders? I keep lemon pepper in the grinder/jar on my
> table.

yeah, it's better to let our taste buds calm down

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 2:16 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:

> > What do others use in place of salt?

> > maxine in ri

> Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
> compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
> applications and in limited quantities.
>
> Pete C.

Ah! Which spices? I use as Michael does, Mrs Dash mixes (lemon
pepper, original, and tomato basil), but I like to do my own spicing,
so am looking for suggestions. With over 100 bottles on my spice
racks (some dupes, some ground/whole/crushed, some mixes), I'm
interested in hearing what other folks add rather than my usual
"throw the spice rack in the pot" sort of seasoning.

I usually use a small amount of salt in the cooking, but for DM and
DS, any salt is too much. Freakin' pains in the butt....

(I'm losing it- the weather is getting hot and humid, and I'm just
not my usual sweet self)

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

Fresh lemon juice or grated fresh lemon rind.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

I have always liked the Mrs. Dash selection of salt-free seasonings. And I
have a collection of Penzey's seasonings that are salt-free as well. Adobo
immediately springs to mind simply because I use it the most for pork and
chicken.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri said...

> What do others use in place of salt?

No salt.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> maxine in ri > dropped this turd
> oups.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them,
>> I try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that
>> salt does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my
>> variations, but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>>
>> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes
>> curry or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy
>> food person.)
>>
>> What do others use in place of salt?
>>
>> maxine in ri
>>

> Maxine, I am not on a sodium restricted diet although it has been
> mentioned by my doctor. Knock on wood, the bp is normal and no more
> heart problems lately. OTOH, I have really cut back on salt where I
> can. I use Mrs. Dash products sometimes. Fresh lemon juice and
> cracked pepper is great on baked potatoes and some pasta dishes I
> make as well as fish. I use rosemary sometimes and it's amazing the
> zing and seasoning a smidge of powdered mustard will give to certain
> dishes. I rely on the Mrs. Dash line. They seem to have a decent
> mixture of spices and a wide variety of different mixes. Two that
> come to mind are the "Garlic and Herb" blend and one called a "Table
> Blend."
>
> Michael

I agree with Michael; lemon is excellent for seasoning. I rarely use salt
in anything. I use lemon, vinegar, herbs, oils, etc.

What I've learned from not using salt is that just about anything cooked
outside my house is not palatable. Everything else is *way* too salty.
It's kind of a bummer when you go out to a friend's house or a restaurant,
but I'll take a sensitive palate any day over a salt-laden one. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > maxine in ri > dropped this turd
> > oups.com: in
> > rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for

> them, >> I try to use seasonings that will give the food the
> "sparkle" that >> salt does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like
> some of my >> variations, but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
> > >
> >> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> >> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes
> >> curry or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy
> >> food person.)
> > >
> >> What do others use in place of salt?
> > >
> >> maxine in ri
> > >

> > Maxine, I am not on a sodium restricted diet although it has been
> > mentioned by my doctor. Knock on wood, the bp is normal and no more
> > heart problems lately. OTOH, I have really cut back on salt where I
> > can. I use Mrs. Dash products sometimes. Fresh lemon juice and
> > cracked pepper is great on baked potatoes and some pasta dishes I
> > make as well as fish. I use rosemary sometimes and it's amazing the
> > zing and seasoning a smidge of powdered mustard will give to certain
> > dishes. I rely on the Mrs. Dash line. They seem to have a decent
> > mixture of spices and a wide variety of different mixes. Two that
> > come to mind are the "Garlic and Herb" blend and one called a "Table
> > Blend."
> >
> > Michael

> I agree with Michael; lemon is excellent for seasoning. I rarely use
> salt in anything. I use lemon, vinegar, herbs, oils, etc.
>
> What I've learned from not using salt is that just about anything
> cooked outside my house is not palatable. Everything else is way too
> salty. It's kind of a bummer when you go out to a friend's house or
> a restaurant, but I'll take a sensitive palate any day over a
> salt-laden one. :~)

Penzeys Mural of Flavor mix. Penzeys Florida Seasoned Pepper mix.
Lemon pepper.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2:16 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> > maxine in ri wrote:

> > > What do others use in place of salt?

> > > maxine in ri

> > Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
> > compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
> > applications and in limited quantities.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Ah! Which spices? I use as Michael does, Mrs Dash mixes (lemon
> pepper, original, and tomato basil), but I like to do my own spicing,
> so am looking for suggestions. With over 100 bottles on my spice
> racks (some dupes, some ground/whole/crushed, some mixes), I'm
> interested in hearing what other folks add rather than my usual
> "throw the spice rack in the pot" sort of seasoning.
>
> I usually use a small amount of salt in the cooking, but for DM and
> DS, any salt is too much. Freakin' pains in the butt....
>
> (I'm losing it- the weather is getting hot and humid, and I'm just
> not my usual sweet self)
>
> maxine in ri

What I use depends on what I'm making. Usual suspects include garlic
(powder), basil, oregano, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Others
range from chipotle powder to cardamom as appropriate.

Mostly wet here north of Dallas at the moment, several towns under
water. Just soggy here fortunately. My pond level went up at least a
foot overnight.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

Black pepper on most things.
Celery flakes, basil, oregano on lighter things.
Mix some spices on your own and experiment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?

I have no medical reason to watch my salt intake but still I use very
minimal salt in dishes and never put a salt shaker out just for me and
only if someone asks. I find that sour negates the desire for salt
for me... I like different vinegars. And I use fresh herbs too. I
don't notice the salt is missing from a vinaigrette or a marinade.
But this is not to say that I don't enjoy some salty foods too, like
pickles, olives, coldcuts, canned fish, etc., but I don't eat those
very often. I think people miss not having salt much more just
because they're told to cut back. And most of the salt folks injest
they get from processed foods... cook more meals from scratch and shy
away from restaurants and you'll automatically cut your salt intake
way down.

Also there are condiments that you can easily prepare yourself and
leave out the salt, I often prepare my own mustards, and horseradish.
I promise that if you schmear a little hot oriental mustard on a slab
of meat/fish/poultry you'll never miss the salt... blend your rmustard
with some horseradish, serve with no salt added meat loaf and you'll
not think about salt.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote

> Penzeys Mural of Flavor mix.

So funny that you would mention that. I went into My Penzeys
a couple days ago to add a couple of things I needed and lo and behold
I already had a couple of items in there. One of them, Mural of Flavor.

Added my couple of things and placed my order. Poor Mural
has been sitting in My Penzeys waiting since last December!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 11:38 am, maxine in ri > wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

My mom and sister are in the same boat. We've found low-sodium baking
powder, and there's even a baking soda substitute out there (although
I have only found it on the internet, and it costs more to ship than
the product).

I use a lot of mustards (there are low- and no-sodium mustards
available -- check www.mustardmuseum.com for more mustard than you
ever imagined), and a lot of different vinegar.

My mom also found that sprinkling on a pepper blend with citric acid
(someone already mentioned Penzey's Florida Pepper) makes things taste
salty. It seems to work especially well with potatoes, which are one
of those foods that are almost not worth eating without salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 10:38 am, maxine in ri > wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)

Well, I must say, that red peppers has been my favorite salt
replacement. I do love hot food tho.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote:

> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.

> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and
> sometimes curry or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom
> is not a spicy food person.)

> What do others use in place of salt?

There is nothing that replaces salt. Salt receptors are in your
taste buds and nothing else can simulate a salty flavor. All
you can do is quit adding salt to food and, within a short time,
you learn to no longer expect it. The key is to eat NOTHING with
significant salt; otherwise you will go back to expecting/wanting it.

I think if you do this for awhile, you can then go back to
sometimes eating salty food and not lose the psychological
training that allows you to enjoy unsalted food.

Steve

>I have no medical reason to watch my salt intake but still I use very
>minimal salt in dishes and never put a salt shaker out just for me and
>only if someone asks. I find that sour negates the desire for salt
>for me... I like different vinegars. And I use fresh herbs too. I
>don't notice the salt is missing from a vinaigrette or a marinade.
>But this is not to say that I don't enjoy some salty foods too, like
>pickles, olives, coldcuts, canned fish, etc., but I don't eat those
>very often. I think people miss not having salt much more just
>because they're told to cut back. And most of the salt folks injest
>they get from processed foods... cook more meals from scratch and shy
>away from restaurants and you'll automatically cut your salt intake
>way down.
>
>Also there are condiments that you can easily prepare yourself and
>leave out the salt, I often prepare my own mustards, and horseradish.
>I promise that if you schmear a little hot oriental mustard on a slab
>of meat/fish/poultry you'll never miss the salt... blend your rmustard
>with some horseradish, serve with no salt added meat loaf and you'll
>not think about salt.
>
>Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 12:38 pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

I like to use old bay seasoning a lot in place of salt; however it
does contain some salt, so it may not meet your needs... prehaps a
home grown salt free old bay clone?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 2:42 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > dropped this turdnews:JbGdnXNbt9ohdevbnZ2dnUVZ_ragnZ2d@comcast. com:in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "Dan Goodman" > wrote

> >> Penzeys Mural of Flavor mix.

> > So funny that you would mention that. I went into My Penzeys
> > a couple days ago to add a couple of things I needed and lo and behold
> > I already had a couple of items in there. One of them, Mural of Flavor.

> > Added my couple of things and placed my order. Poor Mural
> > has been sitting in My Penzeys waiting since last December!

> I haven't seen it at the Penzeys here. I haven't been looking for it
> though. I check next time I go.

Check out the Aleppo chile flakes. They taste salty, even though
there's no added salt.

> Michael

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
>try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
>does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
>but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
>I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
>or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
>person.)
>
>What do others use in place of salt?

I use Mrs Dash a lot. I like the original one, and their bottled
marinades.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
>try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
>does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
>but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
>I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
>or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
>person.)
>
>What do others use in place of salt?
>
>maxine in ri

Spike is a good substitute.

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/10

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
maxine in ri > wrote:

> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?

My mom rarely cooked anything with salt because she has high blood
pressure, so whenever we ate at home when I was a kid (which was most of
the time), our food was cooked without salt. For me, a low salt diet is
the norm.

We just got used to no salt ... at least I did. My mom, on the other
hand, has a heavy hand with the salt shaker when she sits down to eat,
but never when she cooks. I too have high blood pressure, so I never
salt my food (either when cooking, or when eating) and I can tell you
that after a while, it simply doesn't matter any more.

I guess if I want a salty flavor, I add lemon juice. If your mom and
sister are good at sticking with their low salt diet, they will discover
that just eliminating the salt from recipes is all they need to do when
they cook at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> What do others use in place of salt?

I use very little salt, but I know some macrobiotic-fan who use "gomasio".
It's basically sesame seeds toasted and beaten in the mortar and mixed with
a 10% of salt. My friend told me he used to do gomasio also without any salt
and it worked, but that pinch of salt in it makes it much more effective.
If I were in you, I'd search some info about gomasio.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?

MSG gives far more flavor enhancing mileage than table salt.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
maxine in ri > wrote:

> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

All kinds of combos depending on my mood.
A little garlic powder in SMALL quantities gives a certain richness, but
most often I use salt free lemon pepper.

Slight carmelization of most foods will also lend a salty flavor to the
food.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> maxine in ri said...
>
> > What do others use in place of salt?

> No salt.
>
> Andy

Aka, Potassium Chloride.

I've experimented with that and don't like the bitterness it tends to
add, but it works for many people. :-)

All you can do is try it.

One of my favorite things is to use a low salt ("lite") Soy sauce. It's
hardly low in sodium for sodium restrictions, but since the flavor is so
rich, it can be used in smaller quantities.

I try to follow low sodium for the most part due to a fluid retention
problem related to hypothyroidism. I used to actually track my daily
sodium intake and learned a lot about food after keeping a precise food
log for 18 months on the advice of my doc. I weighed and measured
everything. ;-)

I was told to restrict sodium to less than 2,000 mg. per day. Once I
learned to avoid high sodium foods (mostly processed or canned) it was
not all that difficult to do, surprisingly.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> I agree with Michael; lemon is excellent for seasoning. I rarely use salt
> in anything. I use lemon, vinegar, herbs, oils, etc.
>
> What I've learned from not using salt is that just about anything cooked
> outside my house is not palatable. Everything else is *way* too salty.
> It's kind of a bummer when you go out to a friend's house or a restaurant,
> but I'll take a sensitive palate any day over a salt-laden one. :~)
>
> kili

Ditto!

Lemon and Vinegar are excellent flavorings which is why the salt free
lemon pepper works so well.

We don't eat out much anymore as most restaurant food tastes like sea
water.

I used to be a salt-a-holic but it only took 2 weeks of going "cold
turkey" on the salt thing to lose my taste for it. Things were a bit
bland at first but then that changed.

Food tastes a lot better now.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

>> > What do others use in place of salt?

>> No salt.
>>
>> Andy

> Aka, Potassium Chloride.

What I meant was, if a recipe calls for some measure of salt, I just leave it
out rather than replace it with some measure of something else.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:03:32 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"maxine in ri" > wrote :>
>> What do others use in place of salt?
>>

>Rosemary, on braised and roasted pork or chicken, means
>I don't need any salt at all. But then I am not a big salt person.

If people learned how to season properly, they wouldn't need as much
salt, if any.

For instance, take lamb... rub with a mixture of finely chopped fresh
rosemary, chopped garlic, freshly ground pepper and grated lemon zest.
Place 1/4 rounds of the zested lemon on top and roast. Roast it. No
salt needed.

Chicken is the same thing. I use a mixture of thyme, pepper and
granulated garlic. Rub it on (no butter)..... place on a vertical
roaster and roast at high heat until done. It comes out with a
tastey, cripsy skin and juicy meat. No salt needed.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...

> >> No salt.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Aka, Potassium Chloride.

> What I meant was, if a recipe calls for some measure of salt, I just leave it
> out rather than replace it with some measure of something else.
>
> Andy

Oh! Sorry dear.

There is a product called "No Salt". ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Omelet said...

>> > Aka, Potassium Chloride.

>> What I meant was, if a recipe calls for some measure of salt, I just
>> leave it out rather than replace it with some measure of something
>> else.
>>
>> Andy

> Oh! Sorry dear.
>
> There is a product called "No Salt". ;-D

Ahh... ya got me!!! I've never heard of "no salt".

When I was in the hospital, when they weren't IV'ing me with NaCl all day,
I got a break and got one or two sacks of KCl instead.

No flavor, either of 'em!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> When I was in the hospital, when they weren't IV'ing me with NaCl all day,
> I got a break and got one or two sacks of KCl instead.
>
> No flavor, either of 'em!

IV fluids commonly contain potassium. Doubtful you were getting any
great quantity of it (big or little "sacks") if all you had was a
regular peripheral IV site. We give that stuff out like water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> When I was in the hospital, when they weren't IV'ing me with NaCl all
>> day, I got a break and got one or two sacks of KCl instead.
>>
>> No flavor, either of 'em!

> IV fluids commonly contain potassium. Doubtful you were getting any
> great quantity of it (big or little "sacks") if all you had was a
> regular peripheral IV site. We give that stuff out like water.

Goomba38,

Not sure about peripheral IV site but I was attached to the IV for 7 days
non-stop and the IV location was changed every two days. Maybe to prevent
vein collapse. I left with some pretty good black and blue marks on my arm.

The sacks were clearly marked SODIUM CHLORIDE and POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.

Occasionally, they'd interfere the flow of that stuff and shoot me full of
pain medicine through an auxiliary tube midstream along the way to my arm.
I'll never forget the "burn" of that stuff either, then "OK... zzz"

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Goomba38,
>
> Not sure about peripheral IV site but I was attached to the IV for 7 days
> non-stop and the IV location was changed every two days. Maybe to prevent
> vein collapse. I left with some pretty good black and blue marks on my arm.
>
> The sacks were clearly marked SODIUM CHLORIDE and POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.
>
> Occasionally, they'd interfere the flow of that stuff and shoot me full of
> pain medicine through an auxiliary tube midstream along the way to my arm.
> I'll never forget the "burn" of that stuff either, then "OK... zzz"
>
> Andy

Right.. we always "clearly mark" IV fluid bags with their contents. All
I was saying was that there is nothing particularly unusual or
remarkable about your getting IV fluids (non stop or intermittantly) for
that time.
Potassium can be pretty hard on veins, but you were getting no more than
10 mEq at a time if in the small bag and less per hour if in the large
maintenance bag of fluids, because we can't (don't) put more than that
through those tender peripheral veins. If you were in crisis you'd have
had a different type of venous access.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Goomba38,
>>
>> Not sure about peripheral IV site but I was attached to the IV for 7
>> days non-stop and the IV location was changed every two days. Maybe to
>> prevent vein collapse. I left with some pretty good black and blue
>> marks on my arm.
>>
>> The sacks were clearly marked SODIUM CHLORIDE and POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.
>>
>> Occasionally, they'd interfere the flow of that stuff and shoot me full
>> of pain medicine through an auxiliary tube midstream along the way to
>> my arm. I'll never forget the "burn" of that stuff either, then "OK...
>> zzz"
>>
>> Andy

> Right.. we always "clearly mark" IV fluid bags with their contents. All
> I was saying was that there is nothing particularly unusual or
> remarkable about your getting IV fluids (non stop or intermittantly) for
> that time.
> Potassium can be pretty hard on veins, but you were getting no more than
> 10 mEq at a time if in the small bag and less per hour if in the large
> maintenance bag of fluids, because we can't (don't) put more than that
> through those tender peripheral veins. If you were in crisis you'd have
> had a different type of venous access.

OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for pancreatitus. I
wasn't allowed to eat.

What class of patient does that put me in?

???

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for pancreatitus. I
> wasn't allowed to eat.
>
> What class of patient does that put me in?

Sick. LOL, but we already KNEW that, eh?
Pancreatitis is pretty common and can range from mild to dead.
Not eating (bowel rest) is SOP. In fact, even chewing gum and smoking
are discouraged because it promotes gastric acid production. Mostly we
just keep a patient hydrated (those IV fluids) and monitor/support till
resolution.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> OK, enough explaning. I was talking about my stay for pancreatitus. I
>> wasn't allowed to eat.
>>
>> What class of patient does that put me in?

> Sick. LOL, but we already KNEW that, eh?
> Pancreatitis is pretty common and can range from mild to dead.
> Not eating (bowel rest) is SOP. In fact, even chewing gum and smoking
> are discouraged because it promotes gastric acid production. Mostly we
> just keep a patient hydrated (those IV fluids) and monitor/support till
> resolution.

I didn't get to eat or drink for a week. I got to sip water and gargle and
spit it out.

YOU ever done that? And if so, what condition were you in??

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
>try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
>does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
>but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
>I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
>or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
>person.)
>
>What do others use in place of salt?

Depends on the food. Lemon and garlic. Wakes the hell out of
everything! Paprika. Cumin. Char masala (2:1:1:1 ratio of cinnamon,
coriander, cloves and cumin - try it with meat/poultry, it's
wonderful). Fresh herbs of all kinds. There's no reason to be
salt-dependent.

(having said that, I love my salt and don't have a reason to reduce my
intake....)

TammyM