Oregano: ground vs leaves

Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oregano: ground vs leaves

I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?

As a wild-ass guess, a teaspoon of leaves would be about 1/4 teaspoon
of ground.

But if your ground oregano is more than a few months old, and you
have a Mexican grocer nearby, a 99-cent package of Mexican oregano
leaves is your best bet.

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
on how much sugar I should use.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
I'm making lasagna this weekend and want to know what's the conversion
rate between ground oregano and oregano leaves. I've search on google
and all I can find is fresh vs. dried oregano leaves. Every recipe I
seen calls for leaves. Ground oregano is all I have on hand know. Or
will it be worth it to just buy oregano leaves?

I've never even heard of ground oregano? LOL
I have fresh growing, and dried in the freezer. When using fresh I use
more than dried. That's all I can tell you. I imagine ground would be
easy to go too heavy on, so perhaps you should add it cautiously and
increase to taste?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
on how much sugar I should use.

None. It is lasagna you're making, not dessert.
Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to lasagna..?)
Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Scott wrote:
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
on how much sugar I should use.

None. It is lasagna you're making, not dessert.
Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
lasagna..?)

That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
just didn't seem right.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" wrote in message
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused on
how much sugar I should use.

Sugar is lasagna? Is this a joke?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

Goomba38 wrote:

Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
lasagna..?)

That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
just didn't seem right.

Adding unnecessary sugar and unnecessary salt makes food products
sell better. Unfortunately it doesn't make them taste better.
This is a bit of a paradox but it seems to be true.

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused on
how much sugar I should use.

Sugar is lasagna? Is this a joke?

Nope, I've seen numerous recipes that call for sugar.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Scott wrote:

Goomba38 wrote:
Scott wrote:
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
on how much sugar I should use.

None. It is lasagna you're making, not dessert.
Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
lasagna..?)

That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
just didn't seem right.

Some people add sugar to their tomato sauce to be used with pasta. I'd
rather not, myself, although I'll eat it. Spaghetti sauce in the jar
isn't much different than tomato sauce from a can with added sugar and
salt, except it's more expensive.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I imagine ground would be
easy to go too heavy on, so perhaps you should add it cautiously and
increase to taste?

That's exactly why I ask.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
Peter wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for
no sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm
confused on how much sugar I should use.

Sugar is lasagna? Is this a joke?

Nope, I've seen numerous recipes that call for sugar.

Don't do everything people tell you to do. I recently saw a recipe from
a very eager amateur whose recipes in the main are good. It had 4
ingredients, every one of them a fake food. The last ingredient was
Cool Whip. His last word was "Enjoy!" I just said no.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
Scott wrote:

Goomba38 wrote:

Goomba (who can't imagine why someone would want to add sugar to
lasagna..?)

That's also what I thought, but every jar of spaghetti sauce I've seen
uses sugar. Maybe that's why when I use spaghetti sauce in my lasagna it
just didn't seem right.

Adding unnecessary sugar and unnecessary salt makes food products
sell better. Unfortunately it doesn't make them taste better.
This is a bit of a paradox but it seems to be true.

Steve

For sure, but someone must like the industrial taste because it is
getting more difficult to find tomato sauces or dishes made with
tomatoes that aren't loaded with sugar and salt.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
Another related question is I've seen lasagna recipes that call for no
sugar and others that call for up to 2tbs of sugar so now I'm confused
on how much sugar I should use.

After doing some intense searching on google I found this:

Adding sugar or salt - both of which have a natural affinity with tomatoes
- should be a personal preference and not to counteract and mask a problem.
A little sugar, just to enhance the tomato's natural sweetness yet not
enough
to be noticed at first taste is all that is needed.
The amount will vary from batch to batch.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote

Adding unnecessary sugar and unnecessary salt makes food products
sell better. Unfortunately it doesn't make them taste better.
This is a bit of a paradox but it seems to be true.
Steve

For sure, but someone must like the industrial taste because it is
getting more difficult to find tomato sauces or dishes made with
tomatoes that aren't loaded with sugar and salt.

And what can the reason be? They pick theyr tomatoes underripe to cut
times on soil and have longer produce life, then add sugar based to
make up for un-ripeness. Thay probably should be using some
anti-acidic to reduce the acidity of un-ripe tomatoes.
Here in Italy it's getting the same, many brands already sell
sugar-added tomato sauce, while the ingredients' list used to read
just "Pomodori, sale" (Tomatoes, salt).
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'