Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Default Cooking with Non-fat Dairy Products

In our discussion over at rec.food.preserving, I thought spacemarine might
want to try using the fat free half & half or nondairy milks in his soups
for canning (if he does it). I like the stuff when my diet allows the
calories. I use the fat free half&half (light cream) in mac & cheese, mashed
pots, cream sauces, egg dishes and coffee (from time to time). What's your
experience? Does the stuff sub well for real cream? Better?
Some of us *must* pare down the calories.
This was a good substitute in our house, but I've not tried freezing or
canning with it.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> In our discussion over at rec.food.preserving, I thought spacemarine might
> want to try using the fat free half & half or nondairy milks in his soups
> for canning (if he does it). I like the stuff when my diet allows the
> calories. I use the fat free half&half (light cream) in mac & cheese, mashed
> pots, cream sauces, egg dishes and coffee (from time to time). What's your
> experience? Does the stuff sub well for real cream? Better?
> Some of us *must* pare down the calories.
> This was a good substitute in our house, but I've not tried freezing or
> canning with it.
> Edrena

Is there still a frozen product called Coffee Rich? Mom used to use it
when when she made sour green bean soup -- green beans, stuff, vinegar
to sour it, and then Coffee Rich for the "cream" component. She used it
because regular cream would curdle with the vinegar.

I make this a couple times during the supper when fresh green beans are
in. Rather than cooking the beans in the chicken broth, though, I
usually judy use beans that I've already cooked in water ‹ when I buy a
basket of beans, I cook them all at once ‹ whole and in a lot of water
at a fast boil (someone once said here that that's how Julia did it.
Ida Know.)

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Green Bean Soup

Recipe By: Posted again to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 6-5-2007
Serving Size: 6
Preparation Time: 0:30
Categories: Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 # fresh green beans in 3/4² pieces
4 cups chicken stock
2 tsp. salt (I don¹t use it)
1 clove garlic on a toothpick
1 tsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion chopped fine
1 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup sour cream at room temperature

Cook beans, salt, vinegar and garlic in chicken stock about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Make roux from everything else except sour cream.
Dilute with 1 cup bean broth, then stir back into beans and broth.
Simmer 10 minutes until tender. Remove the garlic. Mix 2 tablespoons
soup into the sour cream then pour back into soup. Do not boil.
Correct the seasoning.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Sister Marge, 9/17/94. Pretty tasty! Not as sour as
Mom¹s Green Bean Soup --cream did not curdle. Ate the first batch I
made all by myself -- had to make more.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Hey, that's not cooking, that's inorganinc chemistry! ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The wrote on Mon, 4 Jun 2007 23:50:53 -0600:

TJ> In our discussion over at rec.food.preserving, I thought
TJ> spacemarine might want to try using the fat free half &
TJ> half or nondairy milks in his soups for canning (if he does
TJ> it). I like the stuff when my diet allows the calories. I
TJ> use the fat free half&half (light cream) in mac & cheese,
TJ> mashed pots, cream sauces, egg dishes and coffee (from time
TJ> to time). What's your experience? Does the stuff sub well
TJ> for real cream? Better?Some of us *must* pare down the
TJ> calories.This was a good substitute in our house, but I've
TJ> not tried freezing or canning with it.
TJ> Edrena

I have used a low-fat diet after a heart operation 12+ years
ago. I don't know if it did much good but I am still here and I
go by the maxim: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I find news
groups like alt.food.low-fat singularly unhelpful tho' that's
because their definition of "low" is way higher than mine. It
would be interesting to hear other's tips on cooking with as
little fat as possible.

Here's one of mine: many Indian recipes will emphasize not to
use no-fat yogurt since it is alleged to curdle. However, if you
stir in about a teaspoon of flour before adding it and don't
boil too vigorously, it actually works fine. The same technique
can be used when *cooking* with sour cream.

That being said, I still miss cheese :-(

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article > ,
> "The Joneses" > wrote:
>
>> In our discussion over at rec.food.preserving, I thought spacemarine
>> might want to try using the fat free half & half or nondairy milks
>> in his soups for canning (if he does it). I like the stuff when my
>> diet allows the calories. I use the fat free half&half (light cream)
>> in mac & cheese, mashed pots, cream sauces, egg dishes and coffee
>> (from time to time). What's your experience? Does the stuff sub well
>> for real cream? Better? Some of us *must* pare down the calories.
>> This was a good substitute in our house, but I've not tried
>> freezing or canning with it.
>> Edrena

> Is there still a frozen product called Coffee Rich? Mom used to use
> it when when she made sour green bean soup -- green beans, stuff,
> vinegar to sour it, and then Coffee Rich for the "cream" component.
> She used it because regular cream would curdle with the vinegar.

Yep, they still sell Coffee Rich; it's in the freezer section. Mom bought it
to use as a coffee creamer but it works very well as a cream or half & half
substitute in cooking.

> I make this a couple times during the supper when fresh green beans
> are in. Rather than cooking the beans in the chicken broth, though, I
> usually judy use beans that I've already cooked in water < when I buy
> a basket of beans, I cook them all at once < whole and in a lot of
> water at a fast boil (someone once said here that that's how Julia
> did it. Ida Know.)
>
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Green Bean Soup
>
> Recipe By: Posted again to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 6-5-2007
> Serving Size: 6
> Preparation Time: 0:30
> Categories: Soups
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 1 # fresh green beans in 3/4² pieces
> 4 cups chicken stock
> 2 tsp. salt (I don¹t use it)
> 1 clove garlic on a toothpick
> 1 tsp. vinegar
> 2 Tbsp. butter
> 1 small onion chopped fine
> 1 tsp. paprika
> 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
> 2 Tbsp. flour
> 1/4 cup sour cream at room temperature
>
> Cook beans, salt, vinegar and garlic in chicken stock about 15
> minutes. Remove from heat. Make roux from everything else except
> sour cream. Dilute with 1 cup bean broth, then stir back into beans
> and broth. Simmer 10 minutes until tender. Remove the garlic. Mix 2
> tablespoons soup into the sour cream then pour back into soup. Do
> not boil. Correct the seasoning.
>
> <<<<<
> Notes: Source: Sister Marge, 9/17/94. Pretty tasty! Not as sour
> as Mom¹s Green Bean Soup --cream did not curdle. Ate the first batch
> I made all by myself -- had to make more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
t...
> In our discussion over at rec.food.preserving, I thought spacemarine might
> want to try using the fat free half & half or nondairy milks in his soups
> for canning (if he does it). I like the stuff when my diet allows the
> calories. I use the fat free half&half (light cream) in mac & cheese,

mashed
> pots, cream sauces, egg dishes and coffee (from time to time). What's your
> experience? Does the stuff sub well for real cream? Better?
> Some of us *must* pare down the calories.
> This was a good substitute in our house, but I've not tried freezing or
> canning with it.
> Edrena

=========
I like it; I use it in sauces. It keeps a long time also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Default Trashy cooks (was: Cooking with Non-fat Dairy Products)

On Jun 5, 11:40 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article > ,
> > "The Joneses" > wrote:

> >> In our discussion over at rec.food.preserving, I thought spacemarine
> >> might want to try using the fat free half & half or nondairy milks
> >> in his soups for canning (if he does it). I like the stuff when my
> >> diet allows the calories. I use the fat free half&half (light cream)
> >> in mac & cheese, mashed pots, cream sauces, egg dishes and coffee
> >> (from time to time). What's your experience? Does the stuff sub well
> >> for real cream? Better? Some of us *must* pare down the calories.
> >> This was a good substitute in our house, but I've not tried
> >> freezing or canning with it.
> >> Edrena

> > Is there still a frozen product called Coffee Rich? Mom used to use
> > it when when she made sour green bean soup -- green beans, stuff,
> > vinegar to sour it, and then Coffee Rich for the "cream" component.
> > She used it because regular cream would curdle with the vinegar.

My mother used it too, more than 20 years ago. Heck, beck then even
decent people put that crap into their bodies.

> Yep, they still sell Coffee Rich; it's in the freezer section. Mom bought it
> to use as a coffee creamer but it works very well as a cream or half & half
> substitute in cooking.

Non-dairy coffee creamer is the pinnacle of trashiness.
Using it in cooking is only acceptable if you're cooking for pigs.
You're in good company. The piece of trash, Wolfgang Puck, puts it
into the canned soups he sells to the ignorant pigs who are too lazy
to read labels, too stupid to know the difference if they did, and too
piglike to care.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Bryan wrote:

> The piece of trash, Wolfgang Puck, puts it into the canned soups he sells
> to the ignorant pigs who are too lazy to read labels, too stupid to know
> the difference if they did, and too piglike to care.

Yet Wolfgang Puck is one of the most successful chefs in the world, while
you languish in obscurity on Usenet. There's no justice, is there?

(That being said, I don't eat the Wolfgang Puck soups.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On Jun 5, 5:21 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > The piece of trash, Wolfgang Puck, puts it into the canned soups he sells
> > to the ignorant pigs who are too lazy to read labels, too stupid to know
> > the difference if they did, and too piglike to care.

> Yet Wolfgang Puck is one of the most successful chefs in the world, while
> you languish in obscurity on Usenet. There's no justice, is there?

He has a restaurant where people spend a lot of money, right?
Then he uses his "good" name to hawk garbage to ignorant slobs.
He might even be a good cook, but he's a crappy person. Being
successful does not imply being admirable. A guy on another newsgroup
defended Stalin. He WAS successful.

> (That being said, I don't eat the Wolfgang Puck soups.)

Read the label on the "cream" soups.

> Bob

--Bryan