Lamb that is undercooked

Old 30-05-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb that is undercooked

We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Old 30-05-2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:
We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

Old 30-05-2007, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

If you're in the US (unsure about elsewhere) you should know that
trichinosis in pork is relatively unheard of nowadays. So if you enjoy
pork less dried out and overcooked than your grandmother used to make
it- go for it.
Lamb... is often overcooked but I can't recall if there is any reason
than bad cooking? It should be pink in the middle when done.
Old 30-05-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:
What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

IMHO there's nothing worse than overcooked lamb. I prefer it pink in the
middle. The first time I recall having lamb was at a French restaurant in
1977. When we all decided to try the lamb the server recommended it be
cooked to no more than medium and he was so right. I prefer it leaning a
little more towards medium-rare.

Jill

Old 30-05-2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:

We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Lamb should be quite pink. Like beef, it tastes much better and has a much
nicer texture than when it is all grey. Pork is well inspected and there
is no longer the danger of parasites.
Old 30-05-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"monrae fordi" wrote in
:

We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced
beef. But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites
are not killed if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=me...eid=navclient-
ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enAU221AU221

or.......

http://tinyurl.com/2pdy8h

Medium rare pork. Lurvely!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Come to the edge, Life said.
They said: We are afraid.
Come to the edge, Life said.
They came.
Life pushed them...and they flew."
-Guillaume Apollinaire-
Old 30-05-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi wrote:
monrae fordi wrote:
We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

In the U.S., that business about pork is really no longer valid; there
haven't been any cases of trichinosis reported for ages (at least
that's what I read somewhere). I regularly cook my pork tenderloins
only to about 120-130 and then let it rest under foil for about 15
minutes.

Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.

N.

Old 30-05-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 6:07 am, "monrae fordi" wrote:
We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

I think all meat is best rare, including pork. Unless, it's a cut that
needs to be cooked a long time, such as shanks.

Karen

Old 31-05-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
Nancy2 wrote:

On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi wrote:
monrae fordi wrote:
[...]

CDC says there are about 12 cases of Trichinellosis a year in recent
years. With a good percentage of those from wild game.

Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But a
rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much fat.
If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out that
much.

D.M.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 9:18 pm, Donald Martinich wrote:
In article .com,

Nancy2 wrote:
On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi wrote:
monrae fordi wrote:
[...]

I always cook my rack of lamb to medium rare, or 135 degrees. The
only time I've cooked lamb well done is when I'm using leftover lamb
roast for shepherd's pie.

Old 31-05-2007, 08:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:
We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Lamb can be eaten rare or even raw, and in that way is best with a
very lean cut like the leg. Google "kibbeh nayyeh" (or close
misspellings of it) for a middle eastern raw lamb version of steak
tartare. Trichinosis from pork occurs so infrequently in the USA that
it is barely worth worrying about. The handful of cases of trichinosis
cases that occur in the USA are almost all traceable to bear or elk,
if I remember correctly (and I may not, but they are traceable to
something other than pork). You can, if you wish, do some research and
find out for yourself the incidence rates.

-bwg

Old 31-05-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Donald Martinich wrote:
In article .com,
Nancy2 wrote:

On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi wrote:
monrae fordi wrote:
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether
lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.

N.

Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But
a rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much
fat. If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out
that much.

D.M.

Shanks and tougher cuts absolutely need to be braised low and slow. I have
two nice lamb shanks in the freezer

Jill