FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lamb that is undercooked (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/125040-lamb-undercooked.html)

monrae fordi 30-05-2007 02:07 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.

Giusi 30-05-2007 02:19 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

Goomba38 30-05-2007 02:21 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:

> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

If you're in the US (unsure about elsewhere) you should know that
trichinosis in pork is relatively unheard of nowadays. So if you enjoy
pork less dried out and overcooked than your grandmother used to make
it- go for it.
Lamb... is often overcooked but I can't recall if there is any reason
than bad cooking? It should be pink in the middle when done.

jmcquown 30-05-2007 02:28 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
> see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
> to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
> whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

IMHO there's nothing worse than overcooked lamb. I prefer it pink in the
middle. The first time I recall having lamb was at a French restaurant in
1977. When we all decided to try the lamb the server recommended it be
cooked to no more than medium and he was so right. I prefer it leaning a
little more towards medium-rare.

Jill

Dave Smith[_2_] 30-05-2007 02:41 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:

> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Lamb should be quite pink. Like beef, it tastes much better and has a much
nicer texture than when it is all grey. Pork is well inspected and there
is no longer the danger of parasites.

Peter A 30-05-2007 03:05 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

In article >,
says...
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Perfectly OK, and you are right, lamb is better medium rare.

--
Peter Aitken

PeterL[_4_] 30-05-2007 03:37 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

"monrae fordi" > wrote in
:

> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced
> beef. But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites
> are not killed if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
> see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
> to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
> whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=me...eid=navclient-
ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enAU221AU221

or.......

http://tinyurl.com/2pdy8h

Medium rare pork. Lurvely!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Come to the edge, Life said.
They said: We are afraid.
Come to the edge, Life said.
They came.
Life pushed them...and they flew."
-Guillaume Apollinaire-

Nancy2 30-05-2007 05:39 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi > wrote:
> monrae fordi wrote:
> > We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> > But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> > if undercooked.

> > What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> > that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> > seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> > to eat in this situation.

> Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

In the U.S., that business about pork is really no longer valid; there
haven't been any cases of trichinosis reported for ages (at least
that's what I read somewhere). I regularly cook my pork tenderloins
only to about 120-130 and then let it rest under foil for about 15
minutes.

Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.

N.

Karen[_3_] 30-05-2007 06:02 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 6:07 am, "monrae fordi" > wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

I think all meat is best rare, including pork. Unless, it's a cut that
needs to be cooked a long time, such as shanks.

Karen

Karen[_3_] 30-05-2007 06:11 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

Donald Martinich 31-05-2007 02:18 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

In article .com>,
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi > wrote:
> > monrae fordi wrote:
> > > We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> > > But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not
> > > killed
> > > if undercooked.

> > > What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see
> > > Lamb
> > > that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind
> > > it
> > > seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is
> > > safe
> > > to eat in this situation.

> > Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.
> >
> > --

> In the U.S., that business about pork is really no longer valid; there
> haven't been any cases of trichinosis reported for ages (at least
> that's what I read somewhere). I regularly cook my pork tenderloins
> only to about 120-130 and then let it rest under foil for about 15
> minutes.
>
> Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.
>
> N.

CDC says there are about 12 cases of Trichinellosis a year in recent
years. With a good percentage of those from wild game.

Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But a
rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much fat.
If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out that
much.

D.M.

Carolina[_2_] 31-05-2007 05:28 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 9:18 pm, Donald Martinich > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> Nancy2 > wrote:

> > > Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

> > > --

> > In the U.S., that business about pork is really no longer valid; there
> > haven't been any cases of trichinosis reported for ages (at least
> > that's what I read somewhere). I regularly cook my pork tenderloins
> > only to about 120-130 and then let it rest under foil for about 15
> > minutes.

> > Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.

> > N.

> CDC says there are about 12 cases of Trichinellosis a year in recent
> years. With a good percentage of those from wild game.
>
> Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But a
> rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much fat.
> If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out that
> much.
>
> D.M.

I always cook my rack of lamb to medium rare, or 135 degrees. The
only time I've cooked lamb well done is when I'm using leftover lamb
roast for shepherd's pie.

-bwg 31-05-2007 08:04 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Lamb can be eaten rare or even raw, and in that way is best with a
very lean cut like the leg. Google "kibbeh nayyeh" (or close
misspellings of it) for a middle eastern raw lamb version of steak
tartare. Trichinosis from pork occurs so infrequently in the USA that
it is barely worth worrying about. The handful of cases of trichinosis
cases that occur in the USA are almost all traceable to bear or elk,
if I remember correctly (and I may not, but they are traceable to
something other than pork). You can, if you wish, do some research and
find out for yourself the incidence rates.

-bwg

-bwg 31-05-2007 08:04 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

jmcquown 31-05-2007 07:18 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

Donald Martinich wrote:
> In article .com>,
> Nancy2 > wrote:

>>> Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.
>>>

>> Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.
>>
>> N.

> Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But
> a rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much
> fat. If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out
> that much.
>
> D.M.

Shanks and tougher cuts absolutely need to be braised low and slow. I have
two nice lamb shanks in the freezer :)

Jill

Nancy2 01-06-2007 04:21 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 8:18 pm, Donald Martinich > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> Nancy2 > wrote:

> > > Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

> > > --

> > In the U.S., that business about pork is really no longer valid; there
> > haven't been any cases of trichinosis reported for ages (at least
> > that's what I read somewhere). I regularly cook my pork tenderloins
> > only to about 120-130 and then let it rest under foil for about 15
> > minutes.

> > Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.

> > N.

> CDC says there are about 12 cases of Trichinellosis a year in recent
> years. With a good percentage of those from wild game.
>
> Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But a
> rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much fat.
> If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out that
> much.
>
> D.M.- Hide quoted text -

I should have been more specific. I only do chops and loin cuts.
Lamb is hard to find here (go figure, farm country and lamb is
scarce), and when we do find it, most of it is frozen.

N.

ebrian 01-06-2007 04:53 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 9:07 am, "monrae fordi" > wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

I would definitely suggest you tried it medium. It tastes way
better. Don't get rare though, it's not that it's health hazard, I
just find it incredibly difficult to chew. Especially if you get
shanks, I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
cooked it more before scarfing it down.

Peter A 01-06-2007 05:23 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

In article .com>,
says...
> I would definitely suggest you tried it medium. It tastes way
> better. Don't get rare though, it's not that it's health hazard, I
> just find it incredibly difficult to chew. Especially if you get
> shanks, I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
> shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
> frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
> cooked it more before scarfing it down.

You have to know your cuts. Lamb, like beef, has some cuts that are good
rare (leg, chops) and others that need to be cooked a long time
(shoulder, shanks). A porterhouse rare is a great thing, but who would
want a rare oxtail or shortrib?

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown 01-06-2007 06:13 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

ebrian wrote:
> On May 30, 9:07 am, "monrae fordi" > wrote:
>> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced
>> beef. But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites
>> are not killed if undercooked.
>>
>> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
>> see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.?
>> Since to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for
>> advice on whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

> I would definitely suggest you tried it medium. It tastes way
> better. Don't get rare though, it's not that it's health hazard, I
> just find it incredibly difficult to chew. Especially if you get
> shanks, I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
> shanks.

Well hell, shanks are meant to be braised, not cooked like a steak!

Dave Smith[_2_] 01-06-2007 07:56 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

Peter A wrote:

> You have to know your cuts. Lamb, like beef, has some cuts that are good
> rare (leg, chops) and others that need to be cooked a long time
> (shoulder, shanks). A porterhouse rare is a great thing, but who would
> want a rare oxtail or shortrib?

Some people have issues with rare meat, as if you are guaranteed to get
sick from it, or just find it a generally disgusting idea. I like steaks
rare to medium rare because they have a nice texture and better flavour, as
opposed to tough, dry and flavourless. Oxtails and ribs, OTOH, are very
tough cuts of meat and they need to be cooked long and slow to improve the
texture.

Goomba38 01-06-2007 08:31 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

Dave Smith wrote:

> Some people have issues with rare meat, as if you are guaranteed to get
> sick from it, or just find it a generally disgusting idea. I like steaks
> rare to medium rare because they have a nice texture and better flavour, as
> opposed to tough, dry and flavourless. Oxtails and ribs, OTOH, are very
> tough cuts of meat and they need to be cooked long and slow to improve the
> texture.

I recently ate at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse three times in one week (as a
guest, not the payer,lol) and at one of the dinners everyone at our
table (of 10) ordered the filet, cooked *at the most*no more than
medium. Except the lady to my right who ordered hers well done.
We got thick (at least 1.5 inches thick!) juicy pink filets. She got
this thin, charred, dry piece of meat. And then complained about it.
Every single other diner told her she just got what she ordered!
I suspect the thickness of the steak was also organized so that they all
would be done about the same time for serving? What a waste of a good
cut of meat. <sigh>

Sidenote: A Chinese exchange student we ordered steak with explained to
us that in China they order the meat "done" by percentages. You would
say you wanted it "30% done" or something along those lines to get a
nice rare steak. Interesting method. Has anyone else ever ordered that way?

Nancy Young 01-06-2007 09:11 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

"Goomba38" > wrote

> I recently ate at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse three times in one week (as a
> guest, not the payer,lol)

Did I miss the report?

> and at one of the dinners everyone at our table (of 10) ordered the filet,
> cooked *at the most*no more than medium. Except the lady to my right who
> ordered hers well done.

Ugh. That is painful to me. If nothing else, sometimes that means
your steak will be overcooked. I hope not so at a place like that,
though.

> We got thick (at least 1.5 inches thick!) juicy pink filets. She got this
> thin, charred, dry piece of meat. And then complained about it. Every
> single other diner told her she just got what she ordered!

I have no sympathy for her. I know, I sound hostile. Heh.

> Sidenote: A Chinese exchange student we ordered steak with explained to us
> that in China they order the meat "done" by percentages. You would say you
> wanted it "30% done" or something along those lines to get a nice rare
> steak. Interesting method. Has anyone else ever ordered that way?

I've never heard of that, myself, though I do know of a restaurant
where you ordered your steak by the thickness, in other words, I'll
have the (whatever cut) 1 1/2 inches thick and they would cut it
without measuring and it would be exactly right.

Wonder if they still do that, I haven't been there in some time.

Oddly enough, this steakhouse I mention is run by Chinese people.

nancy

Food Snob 01-06-2007 10:53 PM

Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 8:28 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> monrae fordi wrote:
> > What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
> > see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
> > to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
> > whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

> IMHO there's nothing worse than overcooked lamb.

Raw sewage is a lot worse. So is having your hand bitten off by a
vicious animal.
Then there's my nephew Kris' breath after he's eaten a lot of garlic.

> Jill

--Bryan

sf[_3_] 02-06-2007 04:50 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:53:43 -0000, ebrian > wrote:

>I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
>shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
>frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
>cooked it more before scarfing it down.

Holy crap... what a stupid story! It's too dumb to be even faintly in
the realm of reality. No real restaurant would serve rare shanks of
any kind.

--
See return address to reply by email

sf[_3_] 02-06-2007 04:58 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:11:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> Sidenote: A Chinese exchange student we ordered steak with explained to us
>> that in China they order the meat "done" by percentages. You would say you
>> wanted it "30% done" or something along those lines to get a nice rare
>> steak. Interesting method. Has anyone else ever ordered that way?

>I've never heard of that, myself, though I do know of a restaurant
>where you ordered your steak by the thickness, in other words, I'll
>have the (whatever cut) 1 1/2 inches thick and they would cut it
>without measuring and it would be exactly right.
>
>Wonder if they still do that, I haven't been there in some time.
>
>Oddly enough, this steakhouse I mention is run by Chinese people.

I work with two people who will be in Hong Kong this summer. One is a
native, the other is an American (white) who will be visiting. I
will ask about beef and cuts. My guess is beef steaks in Hong Kong
are served at restaurants that cater to Westerners and Japanese. I
have no idea how a steak would be cooked in Hong Kong without asking,
but I have a feeling that story is fabricated.

--
See return address to reply by email

sf[_3_] 02-06-2007 05:02 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:53:01 -0700, Food Snob >
wrote:

>On May 30, 8:28 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> monrae fordi wrote:
>> > What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
>> > see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
>> > to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
>> > whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

>> IMHO there's nothing worse than overcooked lamb.

>Raw sewage is a lot worse. So is having your hand bitten off by a
>vicious animal.
>Then there's my nephew Kris' breath after he's eaten a lot of garlic.
>>
>> Jill

>--Bryan

Lamb has different cuts, just like beef and pork. Would you cook beef
shank the same way you cook filet?

--
See return address to reply by email

Donald Martinich 03-06-2007 04:11 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:53:43 -0000, ebrian > wrote:
>
> >I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
> >shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
> >frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
> >cooked it more before scarfing it down.

> Holy crap... what a stupid story! It's too dumb to be even faintly in
> the realm of reality. No real restaurant would serve rare shanks of
> any kind.

Like hell, they wouldn't! One chilly Sunday a few years a ago a friend
took me to dinner at the original Paragaray's in Sacramento. The
special was braised lamb shanks and polenta. The main course arrived at
our table not only undercooked, but cold. We had the waiter take it
back and all they did was reheat it in the microwave. At that point my
friend blew up and started shouting at the poor waiter. Normally a good
and reliable restaurant, they apparently had a morn onthe line that
night.

D.M.

sf[_3_] 03-06-2007 07:47 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 20:11:59 -0700, Donald Martinich >
wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:53:43 -0000, ebrian > wrote:
>>
>> >I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
>> >shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
>> >frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
>> >cooked it more before scarfing it down.

>> Holy crap... what a stupid story! It's too dumb to be even faintly in
>> the realm of reality. No real restaurant would serve rare shanks of
>> any kind.

>Like hell, they wouldn't! One chilly Sunday a few years a ago a friend
>took me to dinner at the original Paragaray's in Sacramento. The
>special was braised lamb shanks and polenta. The main course arrived at
>our table not only undercooked, but cold. We had the waiter take it
>back and all they did was reheat it in the microwave. At that point my
>friend blew up and started shouting at the poor waiter. Normally a good
>and reliable restaurant, they apparently had a morn onthe line that
>night.

I stand corrected.

--
See return address to reply by email

Donald Martinich 04-06-2007 02:35 AM

Lamb that is undercooked

In article >, sf wrote:

Normally a good
> >and reliable restaurant, they apparently had a morn onthe line that
> >night.
> >

> I stand corrected.

And my typing needs correcting- lol That's 'moron on the'

D.