Store food overnight in stainless pot?

Old 26-05-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Store food overnight in stainless pot?

Hi, just wondering if it would be bad to store a batch of cole slaw I just
made overnight in the fridge in a stainless steel pot. I hear you don't
want to do that too much, but I don't have a glass bowl and didn't want it
to get a 'plasticky' taste from the plastic bowls I do have.

Thanks!

Old 26-05-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

follow up question:

I have some Polypropylene food containers. Can these be used to store the
cole slaw? It's fairly acidic with lemon juice, etc. I just don't want it
to taste nasty when I serve it up.

They're the Ziplock brand ones.

Old 26-05-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 6:39 pm, "Zippy P" wrote:
follow up question:

I have some Polypropylene food containers. Can these be used to store the
cole slaw? It's fairly acidic with lemon juice, etc. I just don't want it
to taste nasty when I serve it up.

They're the Ziplock brand ones.

Stick with the stainless steel. The plastic will work but I suspect
that you'll get a better result from steel.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old 27-05-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote in news:1180223285.265702.323860
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

No reason not to store slaw in stainless but plastic is fine too... no
plasticky taste is imparted from the deli containers... save a batch
and reuse them, that's what I do. Why throw away perfectly good
containers when they can be reused dozens of times...

Save a few empty glass jam, mayo or pickle jars for this kinda thing. Or
buy an assortment of preserving jars with lids. Having a air tight seal
from a screw down lid isn't critical with cole slaw but...doesn't hurt. See
the lid will stop any fridge odors from one food, from tainting the taste
of another stored item.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 27-05-2007, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

You won't get pthalates from stainless steel, glass, or
ceramic. I'm gradually trying to move away from any sort
of plastic for food storage. (Sometimes this is not too
trivial, especially for freezer storage.)

Steve
Old 27-05-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" wrote in message
et...
Hi, just wondering if it would be bad to store a batch of cole slaw I just
made overnight in the fridge in a stainless steel pot. I hear you don't
want to do that too much, but I don't have a glass bowl and didn't want it
to get a 'plasticky' taste from the plastic bowls I do have.

Thanks!

I've done it. It didn't affect the taste. Some stainless is more stain
resistant than others.

Old 27-05-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 8:34�pm, hahabogus wrote:
Sheldon wrote in news:1180223285.265702.323860
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

No reason not to store slaw in stainless but plastic is fine too... no
plasticky taste is imparted from the deli containers... save a batch
and reuse them, that's what I do. *Why throw away perfectly good
containers when they can be reused dozens of times...

Save a few empty glass jam, mayo or pickle jars for this kinda thing. Or
buy an assortment of preserving jars with lids. Having a air tight seal
from a screw down lid isn't critical with cole slaw but...doesn't hurt. See
the lid will stop any fridge odors from one food, from tainting the taste
of another stored item.

I try to use as little glassware as possible in my kitchen, bath, and
around my home in general... for safety reasons. Plastic food storage
containers are readily available, they are very inexpensive and even
though they claim to be disposible they can be reused many, many
times... and they're freezer safe... don't ever freeze anything in
glass. The food industry is moving more and more and at an ever
accelerating rate towards using plastic. I can still remember all the
horrid accidents just from glass soft drink bottles, used to be the
most common reason for a trip to the ER.

Sheldon

Old 27-05-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
Hi, just wondering if it would be bad to store a batch of cole slaw I just
made overnight in the fridge in a stainless steel pot. I hear you don't
want to do that too much, but I don't have a glass bowl and didn't want it
to get a 'plasticky' taste from the plastic bowls I do have.

Thanks!

Should be fine. I use stainless steel bowls all the time and stuff gets
stored in them in the fridge with no problems.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Old 27-05-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
On May 26, 8:34?pm, hahabogus wrote:
Sheldon wrote in news:1180223285.265702.323860
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I try to use as little glassware as possible in my kitchen, bath, and
around my home in general... for safety reasons. Plastic food storage
containers are readily available, they are very inexpensive and even
though they claim to be disposible they can be reused many, many
times... and they're freezer safe... don't ever freeze anything in
glass. The food industry is moving more and more and at an ever
accelerating rate towards using plastic. I can still remember all the
horrid accidents just from glass soft drink bottles, used to be the
most common reason for a trip to the ER.

Sheldon

Don't forget that we have four legged friends that are interested in
everything! I've woken up many times at night to the sound of a glass
breaking on my tile floor.

kili