FoodBanter.com

-   -   Store food overnight in stainless pot? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/124744-store-food-overnight-stainless.html)

Zippy P 26-05-2007 11:26 PM

Store food overnight in stainless pot?

Hi, just wondering if it would be bad to store a batch of cole slaw I just
made overnight in the fridge in a stainless steel pot. I hear you don't
want to do that too much, but I don't have a glass bowl and didn't want it
to get a 'plasticky' taste from the plastic bowls I do have.

Thanks!

Zippy P 26-05-2007 11:39 PM

Store food overnight in stainless pot?

follow up question:

I have some Polypropylene food containers. Can these be used to store the
cole slaw? It's fairly acidic with lemon juice, etc. I just don't want it
to taste nasty when I serve it up.

They're the Ziplock brand ones.

John Kane 26-05-2007 11:57 PM

On May 26, 6:39 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> follow up question:
>
> I have some Polypropylene food containers. Can these be used to store the
> cole slaw? It's fairly acidic with lemon juice, etc. I just don't want it
> to taste nasty when I serve it up.
>
> They're the Ziplock brand ones.

Stick with the stainless steel. The plastic will work but I suspect
that you'll get a better result from steel.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

hahabogus 27-05-2007 01:34 AM

Store food overnight in stainless pot?

Sheldon > wrote in news:1180223285.265702.323860
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> No reason not to store slaw in stainless but plastic is fine too... no
> plasticky taste is imparted from the deli containers... save a batch
> and reuse them, that's what I do. Why throw away perfectly good
> containers when they can be reused dozens of times...

Save a few empty glass jam, mayo or pickle jars for this kinda thing. Or
buy an assortment of preserving jars with lids. Having a air tight seal
from a screw down lid isn't critical with cole slaw but...doesn't hurt. See
the lid will stop any fridge odors from one food, from tainting the taste
of another stored item.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Steve Pope 27-05-2007 01:46 AM

Store food overnight in stainless pot?

You won't get pthalates from stainless steel, glass, or
ceramic. I'm gradually trying to move away from any sort
of plastic for food storage. (Sometimes this is not too
trivial, especially for freezer storage.)

Steve

Kent 27-05-2007 02:41 AM

Store food overnight in stainless pot?

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
et...
> Hi, just wondering if it would be bad to store a batch of cole slaw I just
> made overnight in the fridge in a stainless steel pot. I hear you don't
> want to do that too much, but I don't have a glass bowl and didn't want it
> to get a 'plasticky' taste from the plastic bowls I do have.
>
> Thanks!

I've done it. It didn't affect the taste. Some stainless is more stain
resistant than others.

Sheldon 27-05-2007 04:57 PM

On May 26, 8:34�pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote in news:1180223285.265702.323860
> @o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > No reason not to store slaw in stainless but plastic is fine too... no
> > plasticky taste is imparted from the deli containers... save a batch
> > and reuse them, that's what I do. *Why throw away perfectly good
> > containers when they can be reused dozens of times...

> Save a few empty glass jam, mayo or pickle jars for this kinda thing. Or
> buy an assortment of preserving jars with lids. Having a air tight seal
> from a screw down lid isn't critical with cole slaw but...doesn't hurt. See
> the lid will stop any fridge odors from one food, from tainting the taste
> of another stored item.

I try to use as little glassware as possible in my kitchen, bath, and
around my home in general... for safety reasons. Plastic food storage
containers are readily available, they are very inexpensive and even
though they claim to be disposible they can be reused many, many
times... and they're freezer safe... don't ever freeze anything in
glass. The food industry is moving more and more and at an ever
accelerating rate towards using plastic. I can still remember all the
horrid accidents just from glass soft drink bottles, used to be the
most common reason for a trip to the ER.

Sheldon

Caryn Nadelberg 27-05-2007 05:05 PM

Zippy P wrote:
> Hi, just wondering if it would be bad to store a batch of cole slaw I just
> made overnight in the fridge in a stainless steel pot. I hear you don't
> want to do that too much, but I don't have a glass bowl and didn't want it
> to get a 'plasticky' taste from the plastic bowls I do have.
>
> Thanks!

Should be fine. I use stainless steel bowls all the time and stuff gets
stored in them in the fridge with no problems.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May

kilikini 27-05-2007 10:45 PM

Sheldon wrote:
> On May 26, 8:34?pm, hahabogus > wrote:
>> Sheldon > wrote in news:1180223285.265702.323860
>> @o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> I try to use as little glassware as possible in my kitchen, bath, and
> around my home in general... for safety reasons. Plastic food storage
> containers are readily available, they are very inexpensive and even
> though they claim to be disposible they can be reused many, many
> times... and they're freezer safe... don't ever freeze anything in
> glass. The food industry is moving more and more and at an ever
> accelerating rate towards using plastic. I can still remember all the
> horrid accidents just from glass soft drink bottles, used to be the
> most common reason for a trip to the ER.
>
> Sheldon

Don't forget that we have four legged friends that are interested in
everything! I've woken up many times at night to the sound of a glass
breaking on my tile floor.

kili