How to make a natural leaven bread

Old 23-05-2007, 11:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make a natural leaven bread

Hello everyone

I've been baking with a natural leaven I made using raisins, rye and
white flour (from Dan Lepard's Handmade Loaf). What I was doing and
was working great; mixing the dough the night before (3.5 cups whole
wheat, 1/3 cup rye, 275g water, teaspoon salt) and then letting it sit
over night outside at about 9 degree C, and then the next morning,
bringing it in and letting it rise and beating it down 3 or 4 times in
3 or 4 hours,... and then shaping it and then letting it rise another
3 hours or so and baking it. It worked great.
But now the weather has changed and is warm,... too warm outside to
let sit over night. So I've been trying to make it by mixing it in
the morning and then letting it rise same as before,... yet it is not
working and I don't know what is wrong. every time I put it into the
oven it Shrinks! and I have flat, heavy bread! Can someone help me
out please. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Margaux