Nancy Young

Default Dinosaur pork chops

It was funny, I was picking up pork chops, a gaggle of boys were
hogging the whole pork chop space so I hung back. Two carts they
had. Suddenly the father type said, I told you! stay over there and
let the lady through!!! Yikes, I just love minding my own business and
still getting people into trouble.

So, I grabbed a package of bone in pork chops, I'm just going to
make sauteed pork chops with spinach.

Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous. Well, I
made two of them, the remaining three I have formed into a fako
pork roast. That's how big they are.

nancy (since when am I a lady?)
Carnivore269

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> It was funny, I was picking up pork chops, a gaggle of boys were
> hogging the whole pork chop space so I hung back. Two carts they
> had. Suddenly the father type said, I told you! stay over there and
> let the lady through!!! Yikes, I just love minding my own business and
> still getting people into trouble.
>
> So, I grabbed a package of bone in pork chops, I'm just going to
> make sauteed pork chops with spinach.
>
> Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
> I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous. Well, I
> made two of them, the remaining three I have formed into a fako
> pork roast. That's how big they are.
>
> nancy (since when am I a lady?)

Watch the movie "Dogma".

The "muse" has a rather entertaining definition of what it takes
to be a woman in one of the scenes. ;-)

C.
Frogleg

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:25:08 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>It was funny, I was picking up pork chops, a gaggle of boys were
>hogging the whole pork chop space so I hung back. Two carts they
>had. Suddenly the father type said, I told you! stay over there and
>let the lady through!!!

<snip>
>nancy (since when am I a lady?)

I remember the shock (at about 18) having a kid call me "ma'am." What
I can't bear today is "what can I do for you, Young Lady?" addressed
to a person of obvious maturity. Doesn't anyone realize this is like,
without acquaintance, calling a bald man Curly or a fat person Slim?
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> It was funny, I was picking up pork chops, a gaggle of boys were
> hogging the whole pork chop space so I hung back. Two carts they
> had. Suddenly the father type said, I told you! stay over there and
> let the lady through!!! Yikes, I just love minding my own business
> and still getting people into trouble.

Of course you do! <G>

> So, I grabbed a package of bone in pork chops, I'm just going to
> make sauteed pork chops with spinach.
>
> Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
> I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous.

You sure you didn't grab pork STEAKS by mistake? (Nothing wrong with that,
I love pork steaks.)

Well, I
> made two of them, the remaining three I have formed into a fako
> pork roast. That's how big they are.
>
> nancy (since when am I a lady?)

Yeah, since when? (teasing)

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
> > I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous.

> You sure you didn't grab pork STEAKS by mistake? (Nothing wrong with that,
> I love pork steaks.)

I went garbage picking just for you and it is packaged as sirloin
chops.

> > nancy (since when am I a lady?)

> Yeah, since when? (teasing)

Hey, the truth hurts! (laugh) nancy

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
>>> I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous.

>> You sure you didn't grab pork STEAKS by mistake? (Nothing wrong
>> with that, I love pork steaks.)

> I went garbage picking just for you and it is packaged as sirloin
> chops.

Well, Sis, I never expected you to go garbage picking! But I never saw
sirloin chops that measured that in my LIFE! Good idea to keep the rest all
together as a pseudo pork roast. Garlic, olive oil, black pepper; you know
the drill Roasted potatoes sounds good to go along with that. When you
decide to, I mean.

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > I went garbage picking just for you and it is packaged as sirloin
> > chops.
> >

> Well, Sis, I never expected you to go garbage picking!

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

> But I never saw
> sirloin chops that measured that in my LIFE! Good idea to keep the rest all
> together as a pseudo pork roast. Garlic, olive oil, black pepper; you know
> the drill Roasted potatoes sounds good to go along with that. When you
> decide to, I mean.

I think tomorrow. And I won't have to poke holes all over it
because I'm just going to put it between the layers. I'm making it
the usual way with the sauerkraut and roasted potatoes. Love it.
Have the weather to go with it, too.

nancy
alzelt

Nancy Young wrote:

> It was funny, I was picking up pork chops, a gaggle of boys were
> hogging the whole pork chop space so I hung back. Two carts they
> had. Suddenly the father type said, I told you! stay over there and
> let the lady through!!! Yikes, I just love minding my own business and
> still getting people into trouble.
>
> So, I grabbed a package of bone in pork chops, I'm just going to
> make sauteed pork chops with spinach.
>
> Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
> I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous. Well, I
> made two of them, the remaining three I have formed into a fako
> pork roast. That's how big they are.
>
> nancy (since when am I a lady?)

Welcome to the fattening up of America. Way too big. When I see a chop
like that, I know it's dinner for two. Sure I could eat one myself, but why?

Here's something you might try. I will buy the pork roast, slicing off a
chop or two at a time. Or, I might take an eight bone roast, and cut
it in half for dinner for four.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Nancy Young

alzelt wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > Opened up the package, I have NEVER seen pork chops like these.
> > I swear, they must be like 10 by 6 inches. ENORmous. Well, I
> > made two of them, the remaining three I have formed into a fako
> > pork roast. That's how big they are.

> Welcome to the fattening up of America. Way too big. When I see a chop
> like that, I know it's dinner for two. Sure I could eat one myself, but why?

I really don't know why you say that. I buy pork chops all the time
and my main bitch is that they are too lean. No flavor. I want to
eat a pork chop, I want a good pork chop.

These were far larger than any pork chop I've ever seen. No fattening
up of America. Just huge pork chops. Probably pork steaks as Jill
said. Of course I didn't eat a whole one.

The spinach was excellent, too. I had a panicky moment when I thought
I was out of granulated garlic. Almost fell over in a faint.

> Here's something you might try. I will buy the pork roast, slicing off a
> chop or two at a time. Or, I might take an eight bone roast, and cut
> it in half for dinner for four.

Yeah, I've been thinking of doing that. Plus, here's something I
never thought of, to me cutlets are chicken or veal ... so I saw in
that free magazine, slice pork roast into thin slices and give it the
old whacharoonie for pork cutlets. Embarrassed to say it never
occurred to me that pork could be cutlets. I'll try that one day
with a boneless pork roast.

nancy
alzelt

Nancy Young wrote:

>>Welcome to the fattening up of America. Way too big. When I see a chop
>>like that, I know it's dinner for two. Sure I could eat one myself, but why?

> I really don't know why you say that. I buy pork chops all the time
> and my main bitch is that they are too lean. No flavor. I want to
> eat a pork chop, I want a good pork chop.
>
> These were far larger than any pork chop I've ever seen. No fattening
> up of America. Just huge pork chops. Probably pork steaks as Jill
> said. Of course I didn't eat a whole one.

That was my point Nancy. They are getting much larger in the stores.
Never used to be that large. Do we really NEED to eat that much chop?
Yes, I have seen pork chops of that size in Seattle. They are NOT pork
steaks.

As for too lean, that is true, for the most part. About five or six
years ago, the pork council decided that pork was getting a bad "fat"
rap. So, they did two things. They bred the pork to be leaner, and
developed an ad that touted that pork was the other white meat. In the
Albertson's supermarket, they have been selling select beef, touting
less fat. And it is, and it is also not tender.

I gave up on those lean chops and have opted for the "natural" chops,
with no this or that. They taste much better, and are more tender, too.
Yes, they do cost more money. What I have been forced to do is to buy
chops when on sale, and use the Tilia to save what I don't use today.

> Yeah, I've been thinking of doing that. Plus, here's something I
> never thought of, to me cutlets are chicken or veal ... so I saw in
> that free magazine, slice pork roast into thin slices and give it the
> old whacharoonie for pork cutlets. Embarrassed to say it never
> occurred to me that pork could be cutlets. I'll try that one day
> with a boneless pork roast.
>
> nancy

At Costco, they sell four packs of pork tenderloin. I will cut each into
inch wide slices, and make cutlets. It's a great idea. And the meat goes
much further.

I like this recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crispy Pork Cutlets with Citrus Sauce

Recipe By : Marcia Kiesel, Food and Wine, 5/2003
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Main Dish
Meats Pork

1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
2 1/2 cups Japanese panko or dry bread crumbs
1 pound pork tenderloin -- cut into twelve
1/2-inch-thick slices and pounded 1/8
inch thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil -- for frying
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh orange or
tangerine sections

1. In a small bowl, stir the soy sauce with the mustard and the orange
juice until combined. Set the sauce aside.

2. Put the flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the
eggs with the water. Spread the bread crumbs in a third
shallow bowl. Season the pork slices with salt and pepper, then dredge
them in the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the slices
in the beaten egg and then coat them completely with the panko bread
crumbs.

3. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering.
Working in batches, fry the pork slices over high heat until they
are browned and crisp, about 2 minutes per side; if the pork browns too
quickly, lower the heat. Transfer the fried pork to paper
towels to drain, then keep the slices warm in a low oven while you fry
the rest.

4. Arrange the pork slices on plates. Top the pork slices with the
chopped orange sections and serve, passing the citrus sauce
at the table.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Goomba

"j*ni p." wrote:

> Hubby handles cutlets for us (there are a few things that he usually
> cooks) and we can get pork ones at the stupidmarket once in a while.
> He treats them like beef cutlets (dip in seasoned bread crumbs, fry
> in olive oil). I think his are very good, but I'm interested in how
> the rest of you make them.
>
> Of course, that what we call a "cutlet" (aka cube steak) in my area,
> may be totally different from what Nancy is talking about. If so,
> I'll go away quietly... ;-)

A cutlet to me is a very thin cut, almost a scaloppini, breaded and
fried. It was always veal growing up. Mom would buy small packs of veal
as she saw them, freeze them until she had enough to make a meal for the
7 of us. Good stuff. Never had "cube steak" except at school cafeteria
or diners for "Chicken Fried Steak" type meals.
Goomba

Pork Chops biig General Cooking 0 03-05-2012 02:31 PM
Pork Chops Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 4 03-05-2012 04:47 AM
Chocolate Pork Chops (Mole Style Pork Chops) Danisha Recipes (moderated) 0 30-12-2006 02:55 AM