Cooking with feijoas

Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with feijoas

My feijoa tree is now bearing and I would like some advice about how
to cook with the fruit. The feijoa (pineapple guava) is an odd taste,
sweet/sour/astringent/pungent/fruity.

I know I can google for a 1000 recipes but many will have been copied
by people who have never seen a feijoa much less actually used them.

To those who have used feijoas what is a good way to eat them apart
from just as a raw fruit?

David

Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bob

On 8 May 2007 22:12:23 -0700, "
magnanimously proffered:

My feijoa tree is now bearing and I would like some advice about how
to cook with the fruit. The feijoa (pineapple guava) is an odd taste,
sweet/sour/astringent/pungent/fruity.

I know I can google for a 1000 recipes but many will have been copied
by people who have never seen a feijoa much less actually used them.

To those who have used feijoas what is a good way to eat them apart
from just as a raw fruit?

David

Our feijoa trees are dropping fruit at the rate of several kilos a
day, so I'll be watching this thread closely. I love them raw, but my
wife doesn't like the taste and I can only eat so many. Trying to give
them away is difficult, as everyone else's feijoa trees are also
fruiting. Talk about too much of a good thing ...

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: http://www.surfwriter.net
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 May 2007 22:12:23 -0700, "
wrote:

My feijoa tree is now bearing and I would like some advice about how
to cook with the fruit. The feijoa (pineapple guava) is an odd taste,
sweet/sour/astringent/pungent/fruity.

I know I can google for a 1000 recipes but many will have been copied
by people who have never seen a feijoa much less actually used them.

To those who have used feijoas what is a good way to eat them apart
from just as a raw fruit?

My mother made feijoa jam once... that was pretty good. Most of the
time she just left the fruit for the birds though.
Old 18-05-2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 May 2007 22:12:23 -0700, "
wrote:

My feijoa tree is now bearing and I would like some advice about how
to cook with the fruit. The feijoa (pineapple guava) is an odd taste,
sweet/sour/astringent/pungent/fruity.

I know I can google for a 1000 recipes but many will have been copied
by people who have never seen a feijoa much less actually used them.

To those who have used feijoas what is a good way to eat them apart
from just as a raw fruit?

David

One of my workmates brought in feijoa muffins the other day. They were
lovely.