How do I get the lemon into lemon cream sauce?

Old 10-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Adam Schwartz
Usenet poster

Default How do I get the lemon into lemon cream sauce?

I needed to make a quick dinner tonight, and I had some chicken, some
milk, lemon juice and capers. I know this isn't the right way to make
anything, but it's all I had to work with. So i tried to make a lemon cream
sauce. I know lemon will curdle milk, so I read some recipes to figure out
how to add the lemon to the cream. Most said simmer the cream with butter,
then add the lemon juice off heat. I thought that when making a sauce with
cream and butter, you need to whisk the butter in off heat so it won't
seperate. I tried simmering the milk with butter and then adding the lemon
juice, but it curdled. I tried simmerring the cream, then addin the lemon
juie and butter off heat, but it curdled. By then I was out of time. Now i
want to know, what's the right way to add lemon to cream?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 10-10-2003, 01:40 AM
Scott Taylor
Usenet poster

"Adam Schwartz" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to try eliminating the lemon juice and just stirring grated
lemon peel into your sauce, to taste. Voila, no worries about curdling.

-Scott

Old 10-10-2003, 04:57 AM
Adam Schwartz
Usenet poster

"Scott Taylor" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I didn't have a lemon, just lemon juice.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Frogleg
Usenet poster

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:57:05 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

"Scott Taylor" wrote

"Adam Schwartz" wrote
[...]

Not that I've tried it, but I would suggest the addition of flour.
I.e., make a white sauce with cream before adding lemon juice. A brief
Google shows either grated lemon peel flavoring cream, or a sauce made
with some kind of starch.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:43 AM
jacqui{JB}
Usenet poster

"Adam Schwartz" wrote in message

I needed to make a quick dinner tonight, and
I had some chicken, some milk, lemon juice and
capers. snip description of failed experiments
Now i want to know, what's the right way to add
lemon to cream?

I make a lemon cream sauce for pasta quite often and haven't had a
problem. I keep a couple tablespoons of the pasta cooking water in
the pot when I pour the cooked pasta into a colander, return the pot
to the heat, add a knob of butter, "enough" heavy cream (probably
about 3/4 cup) and the juice of 1/2-1 lemon (depending on how strong
the lemon is). Let it come to the boil, simmer a couple of minutes
until the sauce starts to thicken, add salt and pepper to taste and
then drop the pasta back into the pot and stir to coat and absorb a
bit of the sauce. Couldn't be more simple and I've never had a
problem with it curdling. Great with a generous amount of arugula on
top; fresh parmesan is a nice addition, too.

Milk, on the other hand -- and even half-and-half IME -- is much more
prone to curdle than heavy cream.

-j

Old 11-10-2003, 07:24 PM
sf
Usenet poster

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:43:57 +0200, "jacqui{JB}"
wrote:

Milk, on the other hand -- and even half-and-half IME -- is much more
prone to curdle than heavy cream.

Very true. You can boil heavy cream and it won't curdle.

Lemon Tarts Daryl S. Kabatoff Baking 3 05-03-2004 03:39 AM
Thin apple pie recipe? Nexis Baking 2 25-02-2004 01:31 AM
New York Cheesecake, help please [email protected] Baking 11 11-01-2004 12:46 AM
powdered sugar Conny Baking 12 01-01-2004 12:31 PM
Sausage lasagna w/ cinnamon Chris and Bob Neidecker General Cooking 5 08-10-2003 11:08 PM