Hard-boiled eggs - how do you tell if they're bad

Old 18-04-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hard-boiled eggs - how do you tell if they're bad

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
didn't eat it.

Would it have been ok to eat?

Old 18-04-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 11:45 pm, "Mike S." wrote:
How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
didn't eat it.

Would it have been ok to eat?

Why worry over an egg? :-)) If in doubt, throw it out.
If you keep getting gray eggs, then worry.

I love hard-boiled eggs, but that little white 'thingy' called
chalazea, which keeps the egg yolk in the center of the white, makes
me crazy.
Dee Dee

Old 18-04-2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike S." wrote in news:1176867920.617358.178230
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
didn't eat it.

Would it have been ok to eat?

If they were stored in the fridge, it would have been OK.

Or even mash it up, add a bit of mayo and a dash of curry powder for
curried egg sandwiches.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Old 18-04-2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7

Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
mind?

Old 18-04-2007, 07:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bob

On 17 Apr 2007 20:45:20 -0700, "Mike S."
magnanimously proffered:

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
didn't eat it.

Would it have been ok to eat?

Why take a chance with an HB egg that old??? Besides, from your
description (gray/smell) It might not have been good to begin with.

I'm the egg boiler in the family. My wife and I like to take them to
the beach with our lunches. It's amazing how a little sand, surf and
fresh air can do for the appetite - as long as the sand isn't in the
food. We definitely eat bigger lunches than usual, but we're usually
down on the beach from around 11am to 4pm. God knows I wouldn't want
to waste away!

The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
makes the eggs easy to peel.

Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
more than a day.

Old 18-04-2007, 10:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 20:45:20 -0700, Mike S. wrote:

Would it have been ok to eat?

See a medium. They can tell all.

-sw

grabs windex wipes

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Old 18-04-2007, 10:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
makes the eggs easy to peel.

Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
lucky. I may try your way next time.

Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
more than a day.

I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

Old 18-04-2007, 10:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bob

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:12:06 +0200, ravenlynne
magnanimously proffered:

bob wrote:
The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
makes the eggs easy to peel.

Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
lucky. I may try your way next time.

Hummm ... think I'll give your way a go, especially now that we've got
one of those digital timers instead of one of the good ol' untrusty
mechanical versions that only seem to last around two years before
packing up.

Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
more than a day.

I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

Old 18-04-2007, 12:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message

oups.com...

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7

Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
mind?

It does seem a bit dodgy. Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
seems a wee bit risky.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old 18-04-2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
makes the eggs easy to peel.

Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
lucky. I may try your way next time.

Hummm ... think I'll give your way a go, especially now that we've got
one of those digital timers instead of one of the good ol' untrusty
mechanical versions that only seem to last around two years before
packing up.

Let me know if it works for you. I'm honestly curious as to whether
I've just been lucky or if it's a legitimate method.

Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
more than a day.

I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

Mr. Raven and I are like that...we'll go through a dozen in fairly short
order.

Old 18-04-2007, 12:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message

oups.com...

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
I fixed some on April 7

Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
mind?

It does seem a bit dodgy. Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
seems a wee bit risky.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I won't eat much of anything (except condiments) that's been in the
fridge that long.

Old 18-04-2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 7:03´┐Żam, John Kane wrote:
On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" wrote:

"Mike S." wrote in message

roups.com...

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7

Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
mind?

It does seem a bit dodgy. *Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
seems a wee bit risky.

http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/Faqs.htm#faq4
http://www.aeb.org/Recipes/BasicPrep...CookedEggs.htm

Sheldon

Old 18-04-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" wrote

I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

There is something addictive about devilled eggs. Around
here you can get rid of 6 eggs in a matter of a day if you
make them up. Worse than potato chips.

nancy

Old 18-04-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" wrote

Mr. Raven and I are like that...we'll go through a dozen in fairly short
order.

Us too. I have started buying two dozen at a time, so we can have
breakfast and egg salad and deviled eggs and and and ... eggs are
wonderful for you.

Old 18-04-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message

oups.com...

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7

Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
mind?

It does seem a bit dodgy. Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
seems a wee bit risky.

I bet Mike has never had food poisoning!