Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hard-boiled eggs - how do you tell if they're bad

How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
didn't eat it.

Would it have been ok to eat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 11:45 pm, "Mike S." > wrote:
> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
> I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
> yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
> yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
> is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
> didn't eat it.
>
> Would it have been ok to eat?

Why worry over an egg? :-)) If in doubt, throw it out.
If you keep getting gray eggs, then worry.

I love hard-boiled eggs, but that little white 'thingy' called
chalazea, which keeps the egg yolk in the center of the white, makes
me crazy.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike S." > wrote in news:1176867920.617358.178230
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
> I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
> yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
> yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
> is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
> didn't eat it.
>
> Would it have been ok to eat?

If they were stored in the fridge, it would have been OK.

Or even mash it up, add a bit of mayo and a dash of curry powder for
curried egg sandwiches.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
> I fixed some on April 7

Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
mind?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On 17 Apr 2007 20:45:20 -0700, "Mike S." >
magnanimously proffered:

>How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
>I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
>yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
>yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
>is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
>I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
>eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
>gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
>I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
>didn't eat it.
>
>Would it have been ok to eat?

Why take a chance with an HB egg that old??? Besides, from your
description (gray/smell) It might not have been good to begin with.

I'm the egg boiler in the family. My wife and I like to take them to
the beach with our lunches. It's amazing how a little sand, surf and
fresh air can do for the appetite - as long as the sand isn't in the
food. We definitely eat bigger lunches than usual, but we're usually
down on the beach from around 11am to 4pm. God knows I wouldn't want
to waste away!

The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
makes the eggs easy to peel.

Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
more than a day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2007 20:45:20 -0700, Mike S. wrote:
>
>> Would it have been ok to eat?

> See a medium. They can tell all.
>
> -sw

<grabs windex wipes>

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
> then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
> small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
> makes the eggs easy to peel.

Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
lucky. I may try your way next time.

> Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
> in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
> we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
> looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
> more than a day.

I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:12:06 +0200, ravenlynne >
magnanimously proffered:

>bob wrote:
>> The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
>> then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
>> small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
>> makes the eggs easy to peel.

>Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
>just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
>hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
>perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
>lucky. I may try your way next time.

Hummm ... think I'll give your way a go, especially now that we've got
one of those digital timers instead of one of the good ol' untrusty
mechanical versions that only seem to last around two years before
packing up.

>> Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
>> in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
>> we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
>> looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
>> more than a day.

>I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
>intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
>them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Mike S." > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

> > I fixed some on April 7

> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
> mind?

It does seem a bit dodgy. Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
seems a wee bit risky.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:12:06 +0200, ravenlynne >
> magnanimously proffered:
>
>> bob wrote:
>>> The way I HB the eggs is to put them in cold water, bring to a boil,
>>> then leave on a rolling boil for 14 minutes. Then drop the eggs into a
>>> small bowl of water containing several ice cubes. Works a treat and
>>> makes the eggs easy to peel.

>> Because I suck at standing there waiting for water to boil, I usually
>> just put them in a pot, cover with water, and put them on the stove...I
>> hit the timer for 25 minutes and go away. They're almost always
>> perfectly buttery yellow..no gray green stuff. Maybe I've just been
>> lucky. I may try your way next time.

> Hummm ... think I'll give your way a go, especially now that we've got
> one of those digital timers instead of one of the good ol' untrusty
> mechanical versions that only seem to last around two years before
> packing up.

Let me know if it works for you. I'm honestly curious as to whether
I've just been lucky or if it's a legitimate method.

>>> Sometimes, when the weather pulls tricks on us, we'll leave the eggs
>>> in the fridge and eat a couple of days when the weather improves. But
>>> we prefer them fresh because the white gets a bit rubbery and the yolk
>>> looses some of it's moisture and taste when stored in the fridge for
>>> more than a day.

>> I eat them within a week or toss. I worry excessively about lower
>> intenstinal issues. After 3 days or so, I usually make deviled eggs with
>> them and they go almost instantly that way anyway.

> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
> to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

Mr. Raven and I are like that...we'll go through a dozen in fairly short
order.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Mike S." > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>>> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>>> I fixed some on April 7

>> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
>> mind?

> It does seem a bit dodgy. Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
> seems a wee bit risky.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I won't eat much of anything (except condiments) that's been in the
fridge that long.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 7:03�am, John Kane > wrote:
> On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Mike S." > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> > > How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

> > > I fixed some on April 7

> > Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
> > mind?

> It does seem a bit dodgy. *Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
> seems a wee bit risky.

http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/Faqs.htm#faq4
http://www.aeb.org/Recipes/BasicPrep...CookedEggs.htm

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote

> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
> to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

There is something addictive about devilled eggs. Around
here you can get rid of 6 eggs in a matter of a day if you
make them up. Worse than potato chips.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote

> Mr. Raven and I are like that...we'll go through a dozen in fairly short
> order.

Us too. I have started buying two dozen at a time, so we can have
breakfast and egg salad and deviled eggs and and and ... eggs are
wonderful for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 18, 12:35 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Mike S." > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

>> > I fixed some on April 7

>> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
>> mind?

> It does seem a bit dodgy. Eggs will last a long time but 11 days
> seems a wee bit risky.

I bet Mike has never had food poisoning!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote
> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
> to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

What's your recipe? I love mine with Hellman's mayo, Grey Poupon
country style, and good fresh paprika.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "ravenlynne" > wrote
>> Mr. Raven and I are like that...we'll go through a dozen in fairly short
>> order.

> Us too. I have started buying two dozen at a time, so we can have
> breakfast and egg salad and deviled eggs and and and ... eggs are
> wonderful for you.

Hmm...I wonder if it's still true that you're only supposed to eat 3 a
week for cholesterol concerns...

Oh well.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "bob" > wrote
>> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
>> to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...
>>

> What's your recipe? I love mine with Hellman's mayo, Grey Poupon
> country style, and good fresh paprika.

Mayo, sweet pickle relish, a tad bit of dijon mustard and a tad bit of
onion salt. Topped with a dash of paprika.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote

> Hmm...I wonder if it's still true that you're only supposed to eat 3 a
> week for cholesterol concerns...

I never paid attention to that advice--for twenty years--and have low
LDL and very high HDL, the good kind. It's my understanding that
the "authorities" have changed their tune in two ways: first, they admit
that only 40% of your total cholesterol comes from diet, the rest is
made by your own body, and this is the kind that tends to go sky
high and cause problems; and second, that eggs in and of them
selves are not bad, it is the things we eat with them--things full
of saturated fat like bacon, ham, cheese--that are bad for us
in combination with high cholesterol foods.

The thing is, the nutrition in them is great, and the yolks, long seen
as the big culprits, contain several substances that actually fight
high cholesterol--such as vitamin e and lecithin.

I have a good friend who was always hyper-aware of fat, ate
low fat, no eggs, exercised all the time, and was on cholesterol
medication by the age of 30, with dangerously high cholesterol.

That convinced me that a lot of cholesterol trouble is hereditary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
> didn't eat it.
>
> Would it have been ok to eat?

Why on earth would you eat something that cost a few cents and smelled
"really bad?" Are you a glutton for punishment (pun intended)?

You shouldn't even need to ask the question.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "bob" > wrote
>
>> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
>> to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

> There is something addictive about devilled eggs. Around
> here you can get rid of 6 eggs in a matter of a day if you
> make them up. Worse than potato chips.

They just go down so smoothly! :-)

(James *loves* them, but he prefers not to eat that much fat and
cholesterol on a regular basis, so he likes to save them for a few
times a year. When we have them at a party, he's in charge of
making them, even though I like mine better, because he cares more
about them.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Mike S." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>>
>> I fixed some on April 7

> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
> mind?

if uncooked eggs will last well over 11 days in the fridge, why wouldn't a
hard boiled egg?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "bob" > wrote
>
>> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force
>> myself to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

> There is something addictive about devilled eggs. Around
> here you can get rid of 6 eggs in a matter of a day if you
> make them up. Worse than potato chips.
>
> nancy

My husband can not stop eating devilled eggs if I make them for him. I have
to quit at just a half an egg (and that's pushing it!) because eggs and my
digestive system do NOT mix, although, dang it, I love them. Curses, I
say!!!!!!!!

There are so many ways to make devilled eggs, too! I like mine with relish
added, but that's probably because my mom made them that way and it's
familiar. But, gosh, you can add curry, you can add ham, olives, celery,
onion, green pepper, red pepper.......it's endless.

So, enjoy your hard boiled eggs, folks, and please have an extra for me.

kili <------ sulking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike S." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>>>
>>> I fixed some on April 7

>> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
>> mind?

> if uncooked eggs will last well over 11 days in the fridge, why wouldn't a
> hard boiled egg?

Because uncooked eggs still have the natural protective coating and most of
them also have an applied wax coating so they're not air permeable. When
you boil them that coating goes away and the air can penetrate them.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike S." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>>>
>>> I fixed some on April 7

>> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
>> mind?

> if uncooked eggs will last well over 11 days in the fridge, why wouldn't a
> hard boiled egg?

Because the chemistry changes with cooking. But in any case WHO WOULD WANT
TO EAT AN 11-DAY-OLD HARD-BOILED EGG?

A dozen eggs costs $2. Jesus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "ravenlynne" > wrote
>>
>> Hmm...I wonder if it's still true that you're only supposed to eat 3
>> a week for cholesterol concerns...
>>

> I never paid attention to that advice--for twenty years--and have low
> LDL and very high HDL, the good kind. It's my understanding that
> the "authorities" have changed their tune in two ways: first, they
> admit that only 40% of your total cholesterol comes from diet, the
> rest is made by your own body, and this is the kind that tends to go
> sky
> high and cause problems; and second, that eggs in and of them
> selves are not bad, it is the things we eat with them--things full
> of saturated fat like bacon, ham, cheese--that are bad for us
> in combination with high cholesterol foods.
>
> The thing is, the nutrition in them is great, and the yolks, long seen
> as the big culprits, contain several substances that actually fight
> high cholesterol--such as vitamin e and lecithin.
>
> I have a good friend who was always hyper-aware of fat, ate
> low fat, no eggs, exercised all the time, and was on cholesterol
> medication by the age of 30, with dangerously high cholesterol.
>
> That convinced me that a lot of cholesterol trouble is hereditary.

My husband eats eggs every morning - and sometimes up to 5 or 6 at a time!
He's got perfectly normal cholesterol levels. My levels, and I don't eat
eggs, are slightly elevated. I don't know why. I pretty much eat fish and
veggies.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 11:33?am, ravenlynne > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > "ravenlynne" > wrote
> >> Mr. Raven and I are like that...we'll go through a dozen in fairly short
> >> order.

> > Us too. I have started buying two dozen at a time, so we can have
> > breakfast and egg salad and deviled eggs and and and ... eggs are
> > wonderful for you.

> Hmm...I wonder if it's still true that you're only supposed to eat 3 a
> week for cholesterol concerns...
>
> Oh well.

Why would anyone with cholesterol concerns coose to eat any eggs...
that's as idiotic as asking if it's okay for someone with lung cancer
concerns to limit themself to just three cigarettes a day.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote

> Because uncooked eggs still have the natural protective coating and most
> of them also have an applied wax coating so they're not air permeable.
> When you boil them that coating goes away and the air can penetrate them.

Damned good answer!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 12:16?pm, "Gil Faver" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "Mike S." > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?

> >> I fixed some on April 7

> > Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
> > mind?

> if uncooked eggs will last well over 11 days in the fridge, why wouldn't a
> hard boiled egg?

With cooking the shell and membrane that protects the egg is
compromised. It's safer to keep hard cooked eggs in the fridge
shelled rather than unshelled, and be sure they're dry, not sitting in
a puddle of water... a plastic colander helps. To keep hard cooked
eggs longer pickle them... actually a nice snack and fun to experiment
with different recipes. I much prefer pickled eggs to deviled eggs,
especially when deviled eggs are made by someone else; saves all that
labor and holds for a month instead of a day. Pickled eggs are
essentially peeled hard-boiled eggs that have been preserved in a
solution of vinegar, salt and a selection of spices. They can be kept
for several weeks or even months in a sealed jar and do not have to be
stored in the refrigerator.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/1582/0.shtml

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 1:36 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Damned good answer!

you got a lot to do

look at you

no really, I mean in the big scheme.. look at you

****ing egg thread, and you found a good answer

Jesus!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 1:27 pm, Sheldon > wrote:

> Why would anyone with cholesterol concerns coose to eat any eggs...
> that's as idiotic...

.... coose

whatever that is

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Why would anyone with cholesterol concerns coose to eat any eggs...
> > that's as idiotic...

> ... coose
>
> whatever that is

Ain'tcha ever hoid of Cybercoose?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coose

Hey, don't blame me, he asked.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-y the Meanie wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "bob" > wrote
>>
>>> I nearly embarrass myself around devilled eggs. I have to force myself
>>> to stop eating them! It doesn't always work ...

>> There is something addictive about devilled eggs. Around
>> here you can get rid of 6 eggs in a matter of a day if you
>> make them up. Worse than potato chips.

> They just go down so smoothly! :-)
>
> (James *loves* them, but he prefers not to eat that much fat and
> cholesterol on a regular basis, so he likes to save them for a few times
> a year. When we have them at a party, he's in charge of making them,
> even though I like mine better, because he cares more about them.)
>
> Serene

Yeah, I really don't make them that often either. They're more of a
treat that way.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Gil Faver" > wrote in message
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> "Mike S." > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
>>> mind?

>> if uncooked eggs will last well over 11 days in the fridge, why wouldn't a
>> hard boiled egg?

> Because the chemistry changes with cooking. But in any case WHO WOULD WANT
> TO EAT AN 11-DAY-OLD HARD-BOILED EGG?
>
> A dozen eggs costs $2. Jesus.

Well, it wasn't hard boiled, but I said the same thing to a buddy of
mine who sampled Balut (spelling?) while in the Phillipines.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 2:22 pm, Sheldon > wrote:

> Hey, don't blame me, he asked.
>
> Sheldon

Very funny. You got off that time.

You ran and grabbed any "recognized" def. then posted it.

just lucky Sheldon

why you talking about vagina in a food thread?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Mike S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
> I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
> yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
> yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
> is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
> didn't eat it.
>
> Would it have been ok to eat?

not if you thought it was bad...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 18, 12:16?pm, "Gil Faver" > wrote:
> > "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > > "Mike S." > wrote in message
> > roups.com...

> > > Don't eat an 11-day-old hard boiled egg, are you out of your
> > > mind?

> > if uncooked eggs will last well over 11 days in the fridge, why wouldn't

> > hard boiled egg?

> With cooking the shell and membrane that protects the egg is
> compromised. It's safer to keep hard cooked eggs in the fridge
> shelled rather than unshelled, and be sure they're dry, not sitting in
> a puddle of water... a plastic colander helps. To keep hard cooked
> eggs longer pickle them... actually a nice snack and fun to experiment
> with different recipes. I much prefer pickled eggs to deviled eggs,
> especially when deviled eggs are made by someone else; saves all that
> labor and holds for a month instead of a day. Pickled eggs are
> essentially peeled hard-boiled eggs that have been preserved in a
> solution of vinegar, salt and a selection of spices. They can be kept
> for several weeks or even months in a sealed jar and do not have to be
> stored in the refrigerator.

And being in enclosed spaces with the eater of pickled eggs is to be avoided
unless you have severe sinus congestion...

> http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/1582/0.shtml
>
> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 apr, 05:45, "Mike S." > wrote:
> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
> I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
> yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
> yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
> is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
> didn't eat it.
>
> Would it have been ok to eat?

When a egg strat to smell bad, than it's clear that you can not eat it
anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The smell is a warning sign, the egg tells you
in a way DO NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT EAT ME!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"snoedel" > wrote

> On 18 apr, 05:45, "Mike S." > wrote:
>> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>>
>> I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
>> yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
>> yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
>> is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
>> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
>> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
>> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
>> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
>> didn't eat it.
>>
>> Would it have been ok to eat?

> When a egg strat to smell bad, than it's clear that you can not eat it
> anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The smell is a warning sign, the egg tells you
> in a way DO NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT EAT ME!!!!!!

(laughing!!) Right to the point. I like that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Boiled eggs are supposed to keep a week in the fridge. I would have tossed
the egg, too/