Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default can anyone post a good french onion soup recipe(no canned or readymade broth!!)

I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
am finding online.
Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
here?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
>I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online.
> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> here?

Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberSQUAT wrote:

> "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
> >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> > am finding online.
> > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> > here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
>>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes
>>> I am finding online.
>>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>>> post here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

> Don't forget the brandy and white wine! It really adds something to the
> soup.
>
> kili

yeah, don't forget the brandy and the wine, dumbass.

Thanks, kili.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>> am finding online.
>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
>> here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Please excuse the bitchy comments of the previous poster and try this
one by Julia Child-

Title: French Onion Soup

3 tb Butter
1 tb Light olive oil or fresh
-peanut oil
8 c Thinly sliced onions (2 1/2
-pounds)
1/2 ts Each salt and sugar (sugar
-helps the onions to brown)
2 tb Flour
2 1/2 qt Homemade beef stock, (see
-following recipe for
-stock), at
Least 2 cups of which
-should be hot
4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
-Armagnac, or other good
-brandy
1 c Dry white French vermouth

The following three recipes are from the book by Julia Child that I
was raving about the other day. They actually produce two dishes;
the basic butterflied chicken recipe can stand alone or be used as
the starting point for all sorts of variations++the Mustard Coated
Chicken is just one of the possible take-offs using it. It's nicely
hoity-toity in appearance and tastes great.

This is certainly one of the all-time favorites. The canned and
packaged onion soups I've tried have been very good, and the only way
to better them is for you to have your own beautiful beef stock.
However, bought onion soup will benefit from the flavor additions
suggested here. TIMING: For most delicious results, you want a slow
simmer for 2 3/4 to 3 hours.

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT SUGGESTED:

A food processor with slicing blade or a hand slicer is useful for the
onions; a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan with cover for onion
cooking and simmering.

Browning the onions - 40 minutes. Set the saucepan over moderate
heat with the butter and oil; when the butter has melted, stir in the
onions, cover the pan, and cook slowly until tender and translucent,
about 10 minutes. Blend in the salt and sugar, raise heat to
moderately high, and let the onions brown, stirring frequently until
they are dark walnut color, 25 to 30 minutes.

Simmering the soup. Sprinkle in the flour and cook slowly, stirring,
for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool a moment,
then whisk in 2 cups of hot stock. When well blended, bring to the
simmer, adding the rest of the stock, the Cognac or brandy, and the
vermouth. Cover loosely, and simmer very slowly 1 1/2 hours, adding a
little water if the liquid reduces too much. Correct seasoning.

Ahead-of-time note: May be prepared in advance; chill uncovered, then
cover and refrigerate or freeze.

Serving. Serve the soup as it is, accompanying it with French bread
and a bowl of grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese, or gratine it as
follows. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts, serving 6.

VARIATION:

ONION SOUP GRATINEED: When onion soup is a main course, bake it in
the oven with cheese and toasted French bread, and bring it all
crusty and bubbling to the table. A big salad, more bread and
cheese, and fruit could finish the meal,; accompanied by a bottle or
two of fruity white wine, like a sauvignon blanc or even a
gewurztraminer.

MANUFACTURING NOTE: Be sure you have a homemade type of bread with
body here because flimsy loaves will disintegrate into a slimy mass;
a recipe for your own homemade French bread also follows.

12 or more Hard-Toasted French Bread Rounds (follows, too) [I left it
out. S.C.] 1 to 2 ounces Swiss cheese, very thinly sliced Ingredients
for the preceding French Onion Soup, heated 3/4 to 1 cup finely
grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT SUGGESTED: A lightly buttered 3-quart ovenproof
casserole or baking dish about 3 inches deep - good-looking if
possible. Assembling and baking - about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven
to 425F and set the rack in the lower middle level. Line the bottom
of the casserole with half the slices of toasted French bread, and
spread over them the sliced cheese. Ladle on the hot onion soup and
float over them a layer of toasted bread, topping with the grated
cheese. At once set in the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 30
minutes, until the cheese has melted and browned nicely. Serve as
soon as possible, if you dally too long, the toast topping may sink
into the soup.

From “The Way to Cook”, Julia Child, Alfred Knopf, 1989. ISBN
0-394-53264-3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 4:11?pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> cyberSQUAT wrote:
> > "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
> > >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> > > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> > > am finding online.
> > > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> > > here?

> > Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

> Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

Must be an important ingredient for her recipe... wonder what she
charges for a piece of her dumb ass... couldn't be much, she's got
tons.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes
>> I am finding online.
>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>> post here?

> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

Don't forget the brandy and white wine! It really adds something to the
soup.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>> >I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> > just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>> > am finding online.
>> > Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>> > post
>> > here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.
>>

> That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. OK, not really, but it's
> close.

Then you live in a much more intelligent world than I do.

> Julia Child's recipe is absolutely heavenly. It depends on a good beef
> stock, which you must make yourself of course.

INGREDIENTS
a.. 1/4 cup butter
b.. 3 onions, thinly sliced
c.. 1 teaspoon white sugar
d.. 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
e.. 2 1/2 cups water
f.. 1/2 cup red wine
g.. 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
h.. 1 French baguette
i.. 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
Now then, genius. I see beef stock, bread, onions and
cheese. I left out the wine and butter, but many prefer to
do without those. So what is left? Flour?

Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:

Title: French Onion Soup
Categories: Soups, Ceideburg 2
Yield: 1 servings

3 tb Butter
1 tb Light olive oil or fresh
-peanut oil
8 c Thinly sliced onions (2 1/2
-pounds)
1/2 ts Each salt and sugar (sugar
-helps the onions to brown)
2 tb Flour
2 1/2 qt Homemade beef stock, (see
-following recipe for
-stock), at
Least 2 cups of which
-should be hot
4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
-Armagnac, or other good
-brandy
1 c Dry white French vermouth

I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
and some other oils that are not really necessary.

So you like to add some fat and alcohol to your FOS.

Excuse me. It is still basically beef stock, onions,
croutons and bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote

> Excuse me. It is still basically beef stock, onions,
> croutons and bread.

The point being, dumb-ass, the OP, does not have to use
"soup mix" to make it. Which was his original question, how
to make it without the soup mix or boullion he sees in "most
recipes."

Which is not even close to the dumbest question I have ever
heard, but it is still pretty ****ing stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CliffMacgillivray > wrote:

> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online.
> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> here?

If you want to make it like they do in France, see a recent post of mine
at
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/c461fe1e82aa85c1>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 17, 4:11?pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>> cyberSQUAT wrote:

>> > Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

>> Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

> Must be an important ingredient for her recipe... wonder what she
> charges for a piece of her dumb ass... couldn't be much, she's got
> tons.

You would be the biggest ass in the group, you ugly, smelly old
man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:51:54 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
>>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>>> am finding online.
>>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
>>> here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.
>>

>Please excuse the bitchy comments of the previous poster and try this
>one by Julia Child-
>

> Title: French Onion Soup

Julia's recipes for onion soup are so good. I use the one from her
cookbook Julia Child and More Company. It is really pretty easy to
fix, especially if you caramelized the onions in the crockpot.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:22 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:
>
> Title: French Onion Soup

> 4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
> -Armagnac, or other good
> -brandy
> 1 c Dry white French vermouth
>
>I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
>and some other oils that are not really necessary.

Have you tried Julia's recipe? Versus other versions? The vermouth
or white wine adds a nice dimension, and so does the cognac.

Try it sometime, if you haven't already.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cook's Illustrated French Onion Soup - Warning HTML

"Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
. ..

> French Onion Soup Gratinee

> 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (canned)
> 1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth (canned)

and you are offering this as an alternative to
Julia Child for a person who specifically asked
"...for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
am finding online."

Good judgement, fella.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:22 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:
>>
>> Title: French Onion Soup

>> 4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
>> -Armagnac, or other good
>> -brandy
>> 1 c Dry white French vermouth
>>
>>I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
>>and some other oils that are not really necessary.

> Have you tried Julia's recipe? Versus other versions? The vermouth
> or white wine adds a nice dimension, and so does the cognac.
>
> Try it sometime, if you haven't already.

I believe I will, thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:41:22 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>> Now then, let's see, here's Julia Child's:
>>
>> Title: French Onion Soup

>> 4 To 5 tablespoons Cognac,
>> -Armagnac, or other good
>> -brandy
>> 1 c Dry white French vermouth
>>
>> I see beef stock, onions, and what? Alcohol, butter
>> and some other oils that are not really necessary.

> Have you tried Julia's recipe? Versus other versions? The vermouth
> or white wine adds a nice dimension, and so does the cognac.
>
> Try it sometime, if you haven't already.
>
> Christine

Yet another reason I have this person in my k/f. Julia's recipe rocks and I
normally don't care for french onion soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
> . ..

>> French Onion Soup Gratinee

>> 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (canned)
>> 1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth (canned)

> and you are offering this as an alternative to
> Julia Child for a person who specifically asked
> "...for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online."
>
> Good judgement, fella.

Blow me, you prick.

I'm not offering this as an alternative to anything, especially not Julia
Child.

Did you even bother to read the original post?

No, I thought not... so **** you.

The man asked for some recipes and I provided what I have. The man can make
his own decisions.

Now go away.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberFLOP wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > On Apr 17, 4:11?pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
> > wrote:

recipes

> >> Wow, bad day there, c - SQUAT...???

> > Must be an important ingredient for her recipe... wonder what she
> > charges for a piece of her dumb ass... couldn't be much, she's got
> > tons.
> >

> You would be the biggest ass in the group, you ugly, smelly old
> man.

You dropped the ball yet AGAIN, c - FLOP...you acquit yourself generally
*very* poorly...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> French Onion Soup Gratinee

>>> 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (canned)
>>> 1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth (canned)

>> and you are offering this as an alternative to
>> Julia Child for a person who specifically asked
>> "...for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes
>> I am finding online."
>>
>> Good judgement, fella.

> Blow me, you prick.
>
> I'm not offering this as an alternative to anything, especially not
> Julia Child.
>
> Did you even bother to read the original post?

We all did. Apparently you didn't. He specifically said "I am looking for
a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in just adding cheese to
some instant broth like so many of the recipes I am finding online."

And the Subject line says "(no canned or ready made broth)".

Perhaps you need some remedial reading classes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>> "CliffMacgillivray" > wrote in message
>>> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
>>> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
>>> am finding online.
>>> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to
>>> post here?

>> Beef stock with lots of onions added, croutons and cheese, dumbass.

> Please excuse the bitchy comments of the previous poster and try this
> one by Julia Child-
>

> Title: French Onion Soup

Thanks for the recipe..I've saved it.
--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Curt Nelson wrote:

> We all did. Apparently you didn't. He specifically said "I am looking
> for
> a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in just adding cheese to
> some instant broth like so many of the recipes I am finding online."
>
> And the Subject line says "(no canned or ready made broth)".
>
> Perhaps you need some remedial reading classes.

Perhaps I shouldn't post while drunk, but that's the beauty of Usenet.

And it doesn't take away at all from the guy being a prick, so I responded
in kind.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:28:01 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>And the Subject line says "(no canned or ready made broth)".
>
>Perhaps you need some remedial reading classes.

It's easy enough to substitute real stock for canned broth, because if
the recipe works with canned, it will work even better with the real
thing. Perhaps the poster should have asked for stock recipes
instead. The OP was a prime example of a **** poor request.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:28:01 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> And the Subject line says "(no canned or ready made broth)".
>>
>> Perhaps you need some remedial reading classes.

> It's easy enough to substitute real stock for canned broth, because if
> the recipe works with canned, it will work even better with the real
> thing. Perhaps the poster should have asked for stock recipes
> instead. The OP was a prime example of a **** poor request.

Point taken. Apparently they can't figure out French Onion Soup and really,
just open a decent cookbook. Not everything has to be Googled

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:09:48 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> It's easy enough to substitute real stock for canned broth, because if
>> the recipe works with canned, it will work even better with the real
>> thing. Perhaps the poster should have asked for stock recipes
>> instead. The OP was a prime example of a **** poor request.

>Point taken. Apparently they can't figure out French Onion Soup and really,
>just open a decent cookbook. Not everything has to be Googled

Yeppers! And I'll take it even further.... Google might even come up
with a good stock recipe if the OP is willing to put more than ten
seconds into researching it.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:09:48 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> It's easy enough to substitute real stock for canned broth, because
>>> if the recipe works with canned, it will work even better with the
>>> real thing. Perhaps the poster should have asked for stock recipes
>>> instead. The OP was a prime example of a **** poor request.

>> Point taken. Apparently they can't figure out French Onion Soup and
>> really, just open a decent cookbook. Not everything has to be
>> Googled
>>

> Yeppers! And I'll take it even further.... Google might even come up
> with a good stock recipe if the OP is willing to put more than ten
> seconds into researching it.

I don't count on Google for all that much. It's a handy tool for some
things, granted. But when it comes to cooking nothing is better than a
personal recommendation. Or a good cookbook. And for this one, I wouldn't
trust Betty Crocker (although I like those books for good basic American
cooking).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:09:48 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>> Point taken. Apparently they can't figure out French Onion Soup and
>>> really, just open a decent cookbook. Not everything has to be
>>> Googled
>>>

>> Yeppers! And I'll take it even further.... Google might even come up
>> with a good stock recipe if the OP is willing to put more than ten
>> seconds into researching it.
>>

> I don't count on Google for all that much. It's a handy tool for some
> things, granted. But when it comes to cooking nothing is better than a
> personal recommendation. Or a good cookbook. And for this one, I wouldn't
> trust Betty Crocker (although I like those books for good basic American
> cooking).
>
> Jill

Yes! I agree totally.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 3:15 pm, CliffMacgillivray > wrote:
> I am looking for a french onion soup recipe but am not interested in
> just adding cheese to some instant broth like so many of the recipes I
> am finding online.
> Anyone have a favorite and authentic recipe that they would care to post
> here?

Don't use a recipe. Make some (this is debatable whether to use a
white or brown stock; some cooks say that the onion soup itself should
be not as robust as if you used a brown stock)white stock. Saute'
onions in butter(or olive oil or both). Really saute' them. Add some
white wine after the onions have been well sauted. Deglaze pot...
Add white/brown stock. Simmer for an hour or so. I like to have it
reduced somewhat then top with brown stock and reduce again. Reduce
by a little maybe 1/4 or so but not any more. The soup is finished.
I like the restaurant green bowls and I purchase a type of crouton
called a 'holland rusk". It fits nicely on bowl. Then I take some
dried parmesan and mix this up with the onion soup broth so it gets
kind of pasty. Top the crouton with this stuff and place under
broiler. Brown it up and serve baby serve! You can also make your
own round croutons to fit onto this type of bowl...