Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storage habits

When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. I
believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical.

I do the same with dry goods that are transferred from box to plastic
storage containers. (My current favorites for dry goods are Lock & Lock
from heritagemint.com. I've bought them at Walmart, local supermarket,
and the QVC store at TMOA. A boatload of sizes available in
rectangular, round, square.)

I label those with the date of the contents, too. I use masking tape
slapped on the container. Free tip: If you turn under a leetle bit of
the end of the tape, you won't have to pry it off the container when you
need to remove it * the turned under bit makes a little handle. It's
now something I do without much thought * I tear off what I need and
turn a bit under of what's still on the roll. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Do you have much storage space for foodstuffs? I have generous shelf
space in my basement for canned goods (commercial and home-canned). I
usually have at least four tomato variations available to me. I might
keep one can upstairs and the remainder down.

Tammasita, if it weren't you expressing curiosity, I'm sorry for the
error.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:57:03 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

I use masking tape
>slapped on the container. Free tip: If you turn under a leetle bit of
>the end of the tape, you won't have to pry it off the container when you
>need to remove it * the turned under bit makes a little handle. It's
>now something I do without much thought * I tear off what I need and
>turn a bit under of what's still on the roll. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Heheheheheh

We do this all the time at work. Ever have to tear tape off of
something really fast, in an emergency situation? It helps. We call
it a courtesy tab.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 10:57�am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
> habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. *I
> believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical. *

I've been doing that for forever, and not only food items, I mark the
date of purchase on everything and save all receipts for any goods
with a warranty. I also permanently ID all my tools and such by
etching with my military ID number. I also mark all paper money by
writing "Penmart" on it, so if any of you find money so marked it's
mine and I'd appreciate your returning it. hehe

Perhaps this dating things became a habit of those who since childhood
have been a philatelist... no, that's not a kinky sex act.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
> habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. I
> believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical.
>
> I do the same with dry goods that are transferred from box to plastic
> storage containers. (My current favorites for dry goods are Lock & Lock
> from heritagemint.com. I've bought them at Walmart, local supermarket,
> and the QVC store at TMOA. A boatload of sizes available in
> rectangular, round, square.)
>
> I label those with the date of the contents, too. I use masking tape
> slapped on the container. Free tip: If you turn under a leetle bit of
> the end of the tape, you won't have to pry it off the container when you
> need to remove it * the turned under bit makes a little handle. It's
> now something I do without much thought * I tear off what I need and
> turn a bit under of what's still on the roll. Lather, rinse, and repeat.
>
> Do you have much storage space for foodstuffs? I have generous shelf
> space in my basement for canned goods (commercial and home-canned). I
> usually have at least four tomato variations available to me. I might
> keep one can upstairs and the remainder down.
>
> Tammasita, if it weren't you expressing curiosity, I'm sorry for the
> error.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
> 3-16-2007
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
> Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Just don't ask her about the 55 gallon drums out back that she keeps the
body parts in......oops! I wasn't supposed to tell, was I Barb?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
> habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. I
> believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical.
>
> I do the same with dry goods that are transferred from box to plastic
> storage containers. (My current favorites for dry goods are Lock & Lock
> from heritagemint.com. I've bought them at Walmart, local supermarket,
> and the QVC store at TMOA. A boatload of sizes available in
> rectangular, round, square.)
>
> I label those with the date of the contents, too. I use masking tape
> slapped on the container. Free tip: If you turn under a leetle bit of
> the end of the tape, you won't have to pry it off the container when you
> need to remove it * the turned under bit makes a little handle. It's
> now something I do without much thought * I tear off what I need and
> turn a bit under of what's still on the roll. Lather, rinse, and repeat.
>
> Do you have much storage space for foodstuffs? I have generous shelf
> space in my basement for canned goods (commercial and home-canned). I
> usually have at least four tomato variations available to me. I might
> keep one can upstairs and the remainder down.
>
> Tammasita, if it weren't you expressing curiosity, I'm sorry for the
> error.

For most pantry items and storage things, I'm only 2-3 items or amounts
ahead. SOme things we buy in bigger quantity when on sale. What we do is
pick a color for the year in marker and we mark the month number on the
tops of cans or boxes quickly. So anything bought this month will have a
big 4 on top in blue, the color of the month. I don't worry about day of
the month. I need to know month and year. When we store things in the
pantry or basement, the oldest get placed in front, rotating the items
if need be. We do the same with freezer goods though I may have to put a
piece of tape on something to be able to mark it. If we use an item, we
have a master list that we note that "such and such" is gone from inventory.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 10:45 am, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 10:57?am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> > When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
> > habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. ?I
> > believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical. ?

> I've been doing that for forever, and not only food items, I mark the
> date of purchase on everything and save all receipts for any goods
> with a warranty. I also permanently ID all my tools and such by
> etching with my military ID number. I also mark all paper money by
> writing "Penmart" on it, so if any of you find money so marked it's
> mine and I'd appreciate your returning it. hehe

Isn't it a federal crime to mark the U.S.'s legal currency? Hmmm. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 17, 10:45 am, Sheldon > wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 10:57?am, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious
>>> about my habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery
>>> purchases. ?I believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very
>>> practical. ?

>> I've been doing that for forever, and not only food items, I mark the
>> date of purchase on everything and save all receipts for any goods
>> with a warranty. I also permanently ID all my tools and such by
>> etching with my military ID number. I also mark all paper money by
>> writing "Penmart" on it, so if any of you find money so marked it's
>> mine and I'd appreciate your returning it. hehe
>>

> Isn't it a federal crime to mark the U.S.'s legal currency? Hmmm. ;-)
>
> N.

Yeah, like they bother to enforce that with everything else going on! I
can't count the number of times I've gotten bills in change with things like
"Johnny luvs Suzie" written along the edge. Of course Johnny now hates
Suzie, or has forgotten who the heck Suzie even is

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
> habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. I
> believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical.

I tend to using LIFO system; not so much for practicality, but because
the ages of some of the things in the back gets really impressive. HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 17, 10:45 am, Sheldon > wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 10:57?am, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
>>> habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. ?I
>>> believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical. ?

>> I've been doing that for forever, and not only food items, I mark the
>> date of purchase on everything and save all receipts for any goods
>> with a warranty. I also permanently ID all my tools and such by
>> etching with my military ID number. I also mark all paper money by
>> writing "Penmart" on it, so if any of you find money so marked it's
>> mine and I'd appreciate your returning it. hehe
>>

> Isn't it a federal crime to mark the U.S.'s legal currency?

No, I don't believe so. I could only find info on coins on the
Treasury site, but it should apply to bills as well, I'd think:

Q: Is it illegal to damage or deface coins?

A: Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides
criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces,
mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of
the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute
means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance
of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the
altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does
not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however,
there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about my
> > habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. I
> > believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical.

> I tend to using LIFO system; not so much for practicality, but because
> the ages of some of the things in the back gets really impressive. HTH :-)
>
> Bob

Hey, I've still got my box of masa harina in the freezer. It's gotta be
around 14-15 years old by now. I'll have to check. (Smartass!)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
3-16-2007
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 17, 10:45 am, Sheldon > wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 10:57?am, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > When Tammy visited last September I recall that she was curious about
>> > my
>> > habit of marking the purchase date on my pantry grocery purchases. ?I
>> > believe in FIFO and this makes it possible and very practical. ?

>> I've been doing that for forever, and not only food items, I mark the
>> date of purchase on everything and save all receipts for any goods
>> with a warranty. I also permanently ID all my tools and such by
>> etching with my military ID number. I also mark all paper money by
>> writing "Penmart" on it, so if any of you find money so marked it's
>> mine and I'd appreciate your returning it. hehe
>>

> Isn't it a federal crime to mark the U.S.'s legal currency? Hmmm. ;-)
>
> N.

If we do find one with "Penmart" on it, we can always write 'hates George
Bush' or 'has a crush on George Bush' or someother subversive thing to wind
up the conservative right and pass it on..........that will teach Sheldon to
write on money, when he finds electronic bugs in his dry goods cabinet or
under the cat's collar.
-ginny

US eating habits according to Twitter graham[_4_] General Cooking 0 22-09-2014 10:04 PM
time to kick old habits? Peter Lucas[_15_] General Cooking 9 03-09-2010 04:46 AM
Old habits die hard Ken[_9_] General Cooking 22 09-11-2008 11:37 PM
Annoying tv Chef Habits J S General Cooking 93 23-07-2007 10:27 PM
I need help with a Market Research project on Wine Storage and Purchase habits Alan Wine 0 15-11-2004 06:24 PM