A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Welcome to FoodBanter.com forums which provide access to the finest food and drink related newsgroups.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most newsgroup discussions and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics to the food related newsgroups, communicate privately with other FoodBanter.com members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Food and Cooking » General Cooking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Flan - how much would you expect to pay



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,463
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
Probably still reasonable in Spain?

Dee Dee

Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,984
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Dee Dee wrote:
Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
Probably still reasonable in Spain?

Dee Dee

Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,315
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Apr 15, 5:37�pm, Goomba38 wrote:
Dee Dee wrote:
Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.


Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. *Wondering
what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
Probably still reasonable in Spain?


Dee Dee


Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.


You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0

Sheldon

  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,984
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Sheldon wrote:

You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0

Sheldon

Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,880
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.


You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at

El Delfin
3066 24th street

--
See return address to reply by email
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,880
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:31:29 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0

Sheldon

Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.


Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.

--
See return address to reply by email
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,984
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

sf wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.


You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at



Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
too though!!
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,984
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

sf wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:31:29 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0

Sheldon

Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.


Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.

I've never had it with coconut milk that I'm aware of? I'm sure Goya is
promoting that recipe because they'll sell more Goya coconut milk. I
suspect coconut milk would provide a recognizable flavor.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,879
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Dee Dee wrote:
Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
Probably still reasonable in Spain?

Dee Dee



1973? That was about 5 inflationary cycles ago.
Restaurant desserts, even awful ones, seem to be
running $6-15 in today's world.

If you haven't been to Europe lately, prepare for
sticker shock. Europeans come to the U.S. to shop
now and they find most things "SO CHEAP!!!" here.

gloria p
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,879
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Goomba38 wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0


Sheldon

Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.



I love it, too, but the quality is so uneven it always feels like a crap
shoot. Sometimes it tastes/feels like milk thickened with cornstarch.
Sometimes it's a smooth, silky custard under the caramel sauce. My
son-in-law says creme brulee is better. Not on your life!

gloria p
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,880
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:57:06 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

sf wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.


You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at



Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
too though!!


I know, goomba.... but what else would be so expensive? Not flan.


--
See return address to reply by email
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,315
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Goomba38 wrote:
sf wrote:
Goomba38 wrote:
Sheldon wrote:


You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL


http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ecipeID=39&lan...


Sheldon


Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.


Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.


I've never had it with coconut milk that I'm aware of? I'm sure Goya is
promoting that recipe because they'll sell more Goya coconut milk.


Actually there are a half dozen flan recipes at the Goya site, I just
choose the one with coconut but there is also one without coconut, a
pina colada one, and they also sell flan mix... I don't really think
Goya needs to use any pscho-babble head tricks to promote their
products, especially not their coconut products... if you're Latino
that's what you buy... all Goya products are excellent. One of the
things I miss a lot is not having a real Latino market up here like I
did on Lung Guyland... the the stupidmarkets in these parts have a
very tiny area alloted to Goya/Latino products, obviously just
patronizing... and they're priced substantially more than I was used
to paying downstate.

http://www.goya.com/english/search/s...l?which=recipe

Sheldon

  #13 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,984
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Sheldon wrote:

Actually there are a half dozen flan recipes at the Goya site, I just
choose the one with coconut but there is also one without coconut, a
pina colada one, and they also sell flan mix... I don't really think
Goya needs to use any pscho-babble head tricks to promote their
products, especially not their coconut products... if you're Latino
that's what you buy... all Goya products are excellent. One of the
things I miss a lot is not having a real Latino market up here like I
did on Lung Guyland... the the stupidmarkets in these parts have a
very tiny area alloted to Goya/Latino products, obviously just
patronizing... and they're priced substantially more than I was used
to paying downstate.

http://www.goya.com/english/search/s...l?which=recipe

Sheldon

I love the Goya Guava Paste. Long thin boxes of the stuff, which when
sliced thin and eaten with a good sharp cheddar cheese make a great
nosh. I haven't a clue if it is used for anything else though? It has
been a lot harder to find in recent years but I've seen that Publix
carries it. Oh, having just checked the link you provided I see the
Guava Paste now is coming in a round tin? Try it sometime, Sheldon.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,315
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

sf wrote:
Goomba38 wrote:
Sheldon wrote:


You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL


http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ecipeID=39&lan...


Sheldon


Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.


Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.


Ridiculous... that's like saying only vanilla ice cream is real ice
cream (and all other flavors are fakes). Flan is real regardless the
flavor, and there are as many recipes for flan as people who make
flan. Actually the presentation is what makes it "real" flan...
otherwise it can be egg custard served however.

Sheldon

  #15 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,799
Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay


"Dee Dee" wrote in message
ups.com...
Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
Probably still reasonable in Spain?


According to the inflation calculator, that 1.25 is now equal to 4.94. If
you are specific to Paris, the Euro is at an all time high so it would cost
you about 6.61USD in Paris.


 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2004-2014 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.