FoodBanter.com

-   -   Flan - how much would you expect to pay (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/121368-flan-how-much-would.html)

Dee Dee 15-04-2007 10:25 PM

Flan - how much would you expect to pay

Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
Probably still reasonable in Spain?

Dee Dee

Goomba38 15-04-2007 10:37 PM

Dee Dee wrote:
> Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
> dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.
>
> Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
> what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
> Probably still reasonable in Spain?
>
> Dee Dee

Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

Sheldon 15-04-2007 11:26 PM

On Apr 15, 5:37�pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
> > Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
> > dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

> > Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. *Wondering
> > what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
> > Probably still reasonable in Spain?

> > Dee Dee

> Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
> dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
> like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0

Sheldon

Goomba38 15-04-2007 11:31 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
> or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL
>
> http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0
>
> Sheldon

Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
once or twice though.

sf[_3_] 15-04-2007 11:48 PM

Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
>dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
>like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at

El Delfin
3066 24th street

--
See return address to reply by email

sf[_3_] 15-04-2007 11:55 PM

Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:31:29 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
>> or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL
>>
>> http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0
>>
>> Sheldon
>>

>Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
>I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
>once or twice though.

Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.

--
See return address to reply by email

Goomba38 15-04-2007 11:57 PM

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>> Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
>> dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
>> like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

> You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
> Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
> Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at

Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
too though!!

Goomba38 15-04-2007 11:58 PM

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:31:29 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
>>> or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL
>>>
>>> http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0
>>>
>>> Sheldon
>>>

>> Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
>> I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
>> once or twice though.

> Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.

I've never had it with coconut milk that I'm aware of? I'm sure Goya is
promoting that recipe because they'll sell more Goya coconut milk. I
suspect coconut milk would provide a recognizable flavor.

Puester 16-04-2007 12:41 AM

Dee Dee wrote:
> Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
> dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.
>
> Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
> what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
> Probably still reasonable in Spain?
>
> Dee Dee

1973? That was about 5 inflationary cycles ago.
Restaurant desserts, even awful ones, seem to be
running $6-15 in today's world.

If you haven't been to Europe lately, prepare for
sticker shock. Europeans come to the U.S. to shop
now and they find most things "SO CHEAP!!!" here.

gloria p

Puester 16-04-2007 12:48 AM

Goomba38 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
>> or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL
>>
>> http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ID=39&langID=0
>>

>> Sheldon
>>

> Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
> I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
> once or twice though.

I love it, too, but the quality is so uneven it always feels like a crap
shoot. Sometimes it tastes/feels like milk thickened with cornstarch.
Sometimes it's a smooth, silky custard under the caramel sauce. My
son-in-law says creme brulee is better. Not on your life!

gloria p

sf[_3_] 16-04-2007 01:00 AM

Flan - how much would you expect to pay

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:57:06 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
>>> dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
>>> like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

>> You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
>> Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
>> Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at

>Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
>too though!!

I know, goomba.... but what else would be so expensive? Not flan.

--
See return address to reply by email

Sheldon 16-04-2007 02:08 AM

Goomba38 wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > Goomba38 wrote:

> >> Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
> >> I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
> >> once or twice though.

> > Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.

> I've never had it with coconut milk that I'm aware of? I'm sure Goya is
> promoting that recipe because they'll sell more Goya coconut milk.

Actually there are a half dozen flan recipes at the Goya site, I just
choose the one with coconut but there is also one without coconut, a
pina colada one, and they also sell flan mix... I don't really think
Goya needs to use any pscho-babble head tricks to promote their
products, especially not their coconut products... if you're Latino
that's what you buy... all Goya products are excellent. One of the
things I miss a lot is not having a real Latino market up here like I
did on Lung Guyland... the the stupidmarkets in these parts have a
very tiny area alloted to Goya/Latino products, obviously just
patronizing... and they're priced substantially more than I was used
to paying downstate.

http://www.goya.com/english/search/s...l?which=recipe

Sheldon

Goomba38 16-04-2007 02:16 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> Actually there are a half dozen flan recipes at the Goya site, I just
> choose the one with coconut but there is also one without coconut, a
> pina colada one, and they also sell flan mix... I don't really think
> Goya needs to use any pscho-babble head tricks to promote their
> products, especially not their coconut products... if you're Latino
> that's what you buy... all Goya products are excellent. One of the
> things I miss a lot is not having a real Latino market up here like I
> did on Lung Guyland... the the stupidmarkets in these parts have a
> very tiny area alloted to Goya/Latino products, obviously just
> patronizing... and they're priced substantially more than I was used
> to paying downstate.
>
> http://www.goya.com/english/search/s...l?which=recipe
>
> Sheldon

I love the Goya Guava Paste. Long thin boxes of the stuff, which when
sliced thin and eaten with a good sharp cheddar cheese make a great
nosh. I haven't a clue if it is used for anything else though? It has
been a lot harder to find in recent years but I've seen that Publix
carries it. Oh, having just checked the link you provided I see the
Guava Paste now is coming in a round tin? Try it sometime, Sheldon.

Sheldon 16-04-2007 02:19 AM

sf wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
> >Sheldon wrote:

> >> You can make one at home in a 9" Pyrex pie plate for about $4... share
> >> or eat the entire thing yourself. LOL

> >>http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/...ecipeID=39&lan...

> >> Sheldon

> >Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
> >I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
> >once or twice though.

> Real leche flan is all egg yolk and no coconut milk.

Ridiculous... that's like saying only vanilla ice cream is real ice
cream (and all other flavors are fakes). Flan is real regardless the
flavor, and there are as many recipes for flan as people who make
flan. Actually the presentation is what makes it "real" flan...
otherwise it can be egg custard served however.

Sheldon

Edwin Pawlowski 16-04-2007 02:51 AM

Flan - how much would you expect to pay

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
> dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.
>
> Googling, I found a restaurant in SF that charges $6 now. Wondering
> what these little ramequins would cost in NYC, Paris or elsewhere.
> Probably still reasonable in Spain?

According to the inflation calculator, that 1.25 is now equal to 4.94. If
you are specific to Paris, the Euro is at an all time high so it would cost
you about 6.61USD in Paris.

Dee Dee 16-04-2007 03:30 AM

On Apr 15, 6:48 pm, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
> >Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
> >dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
> >like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

> You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
> Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
> Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at
>
> El Delfin
> 3066 24th street
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

http://www.inetours.com/Pages/Dining_Archive/Metro.html
Desserts include creme brulee, tarte tatin, chocolate cherry walnut
cake, kiwi flan. All are scrumptious, if expensive at $6.00.

Dee Dee 16-04-2007 03:36 AM

On Apr 15, 9:16 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:

> I love the Goya Guava Paste. Long thin boxes of the stuff, which when
> sliced thin and eaten with a good sharp cheddar cheese make a great
> nosh. I haven't a clue if it is used for anything else though? It has
> been a lot harder to find in recent years but I've seen that Publix
> carries it. Oh, having just checked the link you provided I see the
> Guava Paste now is coming in a round tin? Try it sometime, Sheldon.- Hide quoted text -

I love this guava paste, too. I've only seen it in the round tin.
Thanks for the cheese tip, I've never tried it with sharp cheddar
cheese, but will.

I believe it is traditional or perhaps common is a better word for
Thai recipes to be made with coconut milk. I recall years ago going
to a Thai restaurant having their flan and wondering why it was
different. I see Thai flan recipes using coconut milk.

Dee Dee

Dee Dee 16-04-2007 03:38 AM

On Apr 15, 9:51 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Flan in Paris in 1973 was $1.25 and I usually had 2 of them for
> > dessert, as I had just discovered such a delicious desert.

> According to the inflation calculator, that 1.25 is now equal to 4.94. If
> you are specific to Paris, the Euro is at an all time high so it would cost
> you about 6.61USD in Paris.

That sounds right to me. About the price of a cafe au lait?
Dee Dee

sf[_3_] 16-04-2007 04:03 AM

On 15 Apr 2007 19:30:54 -0700, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>http://www.inetours.com/Pages/Dining_Archive/Metro.html
>Desserts include creme brulee, tarte tatin, chocolate cherry walnut
>cake, kiwi flan. All are scrumptious, if expensive at $6.00.

Thanks, I haven't eaten there. Looks like their menu changes often,
so don't count on having flan. http://www.metrocafesf.net/index.html

--
See return address to reply by email

Dave Smith[_2_] 16-04-2007 01:40 PM

Puester wrote:

> > Well of course you *can*...but if you're eating out you'll pay more.
> > I love Flan. It is one of my favorite desserts out. I have only made it
> > once or twice though.

> I love it, too, but the quality is so uneven it always feels like a crap
> shoot. Sometimes it tastes/feels like milk thickened with cornstarch.
> Sometimes it's a smooth, silky custard under the caramel sauce. My
> son-in-law says creme brulee is better. Not on your life!

I have had good luck with flan - creme caramel, bit in restaurants and at
home. It was often the dessert or one of the dessert choices in 3 course
menu lunches and dinners in France. I make it frequently at home. It is a
snap to make. Heat up the oven and some water. Melt some white sugar in a
pan, strring it until it melts and turns straw coloured, then add a bit of
water and pour it into the bottom of the ramekins. Put some milk, sugar,
egg and vanilla extract into the blender, whiz it and pour it into the
bowls, set them in a pan, pour some hot water into the pan and stick it in
the oven.

It's cheap, easy and delicious, and it makes an impressive dish when the
dark tops and sauce when inverted onto a plate.

I don't know about being better than a Creme Brulee. I have had some pretty
good Creme Brulee over the year. I will agree that a good flan is better
than a bad CB.

merryb 16-04-2007 06:09 PM

On Apr 15, 3:57 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:37:17 -0400, Goomba38 >
> > wrote:

> >> Were they bigger in SF? I go to Mexican restaurants and pay probably 4
> >> dollars or so but they're bigger than those small ramiquins (sp?). More
> >> like a large Pyrex brand custard cup size.

> > You'll find creme brulee at most middle to upper priced restaurants.
> > Flan is usually an "ethnic" dish. What was the website, Dee?
> > Admittedly, I didn't search very long but I found flan for $3 at

> Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
> too though!!

The custard mixes are the same- how it's put together makes the
difference.

Dee Dee 16-04-2007 07:13 PM

On Apr 16, 1:09 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> On Apr 15, 3:57 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
>

> The custard mixes are the same- how it's put together makes the
> difference.

I tried the Goya (I believe it was that brand) flan -- oh, my, did I
have heartburn.

merryb 16-04-2007 07:35 PM

On Apr 16, 11:13 am, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 1:09 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
>
> > On Apr 15, 3:57 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:

> > The custard mixes are the same- how it's put together makes the
> > difference.

> I tried the Goya (I believe it was that brand) flan -- oh, my, did I
> have heartburn.

I'm sorry- I wasn't referring to a "mix"-I meant the custard recipe.
It's so easy to make- no need for a pre-made mix!

Dee Dee 17-04-2007 05:07 PM

On Apr 16, 8:40 am, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have had good luck with flan - creme caramel, bit in restaurants and at
> home. It was often the dessert or one of the dessert choices in 3 course
> menu lunches and dinners in France. I make it frequently at home. It is a
> snap to make. Heat up the oven and some water. Melt some white sugar in a
> pan, strring it until it melts and turns straw coloured, then add a bit of
> water and pour it into the bottom of the ramekins. Put some milk, sugar,
> egg and vanilla extract into the blender, whiz it and pour it into the
> bowls, set them in a pan, pour some hot water into the pan and stick it in
> the oven.

Took your advice and made a batch. I combined Tyler Florence's and
Alton Brown's recipe, using AB's formula as Tyler's used 2 cups of
cream, which I wanted to save for ice cream.

My first sugar melt was a disaster. But had time to make the second
time.
The only thing different I will do next time is try it in a souffle
dish instead of ramekins. Tyler used a small cake pan, but it seems
awfully short to me, so as to increase the hazard of water getting
into it.

Re-reading your instructions, it looks like you didn't cook your
milk,sugar, egg before you put them into the bowls?

Dee Dee

Dee Dee 17-04-2007 05:08 PM

On Apr 16, 2:35 pm, "merryb" > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 11:13 am, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
>

> I'm sorry- I wasn't referring to a "mix"-I meant the custard recipe.
> It's so easy to make- no need for a pre-made mix!

Understood. Thanks.
Dee Dee

merryb 18-04-2007 12:19 AM

On Apr 17, 9:07 am, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:40 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > I have had good luck with flan - creme caramel, bit in restaurants and at
> > home. It was often the dessert or one of the dessert choices in 3 course
> > menu lunches and dinners in France. I make it frequently at home. It is a
> > snap to make. Heat up the oven and some water. Melt some white sugar in a
> > pan, strring it until it melts and turns straw coloured, then add a bit of
> > water and pour it into the bottom of the ramekins. Put some milk, sugar,
> > egg and vanilla extract into the blender, whiz it and pour it into the
> > bowls, set them in a pan, pour some hot water into the pan and stick it in
> > the oven.

> Took your advice and made a batch. I combined Tyler Florence's and
> Alton Brown's recipe, using AB's formula as Tyler's used 2 cups of
> cream, which I wanted to save for ice cream.
>
> My first sugar melt was a disaster. But had time to make the second
> time.
> The only thing different I will do next time is try it in a souffle
> dish instead of ramekins. Tyler used a small cake pan, but it seems
> awfully short to me, so as to increase the hazard of water getting
> into it.
>
> Re-reading your instructions, it looks like you didn't cook your
> milk,sugar, egg before you put them into the bowls?
>
> Dee Dee

Sorry to butt in- it doesn't need to be cooked beforehand since it
bakes. But ice cream base and cream anglaise are different as they are
served cold.

Dee Dee 18-04-2007 01:15 AM

On Apr 17, 7:19 pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 9:07 am, Dee Dee > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 16, 8:40 am, Dave Smith > wrote:

> > > I have had good luck with flan - creme caramel, bit in restaurants and at
> > > home. It was often the dessert or one of the dessert choices in 3 course
> > > menu lunches and dinners in France. I make it frequently at home. It is a
> > > snap to make. Heat up the oven and some water. Melt some white sugar in a
> > > pan, strring it until it melts and turns straw coloured, then add a bit of
> > > water and pour it into the bottom of the ramekins. Put some milk, sugar,
> > > egg and vanilla extract into the blender, whiz it and pour it into the
> > > bowls, set them in a pan, pour some hot water into the pan and stick it in
> > > the oven.

> > Took your advice and made a batch. I combined Tyler Florence's and
> > Alton Brown's recipe, using AB's formula as Tyler's used 2 cups of
> > cream, which I wanted to save for ice cream.

> > My first sugar melt was a disaster. But had time to make the second
> > time.
> > The only thing different I will do next time is try it in a souffle
> > dish instead of ramekins. Tyler used a small cake pan, but it seems
> > awfully short to me, so as to increase the hazard of water getting
> > into it.

> > Re-reading your instructions, it looks like you didn't cook your
> > milk,sugar, egg before you put them into the bowls?

> > Dee Dee

> Sorry to butt in- it doesn't need to be cooked beforehand since it
> bakes. But ice cream base and cream anglaise are different as they are
> served cold.- Hide quoted text -

I've read the Alton Brown, Tyler Florence, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger,
and Cookworks recipes and they all say to temper the eggs with the hot
milk; and I believe to dissolve the sugar in the hot milk. However,
Michael Chirarello's recipe does not do this. Hmm.

"Butt-in" appreciated.
Dee

Dave Smith[_2_] 18-04-2007 01:43 AM

Dee Dee wrote:

> On Apr 16, 8:40 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> Took your advice and made a batch. I combined Tyler Florence's and
> Alton Brown's recipe, using AB's formula as Tyler's used 2 cups of
> cream, which I wanted to save for ice cream.
>
> My first sugar melt was a disaster. But had time to make the second
> time.

Disaster??? Forgot to stir and it burned? :-)
Some recipes call for the water and sugar to be heated together. I have
tried that twice and it has failed both times. I find that heating it until
it is straw coloured then taking it off the heat, adding a little water and
pouring it into ramekins right away always works. It has never failed me.

> The only thing different I will do next time is try it in a souffle
> dish instead of ramekins. Tyler used a small cake pan, but it seems
> awfully short to me, so as to increase the hazard of water getting
> into it.

In some of the restaurants in France where I had it the flan was obviously
dished out from a larger pan. I imagine a pie pan would work fine.

I have never had a problem with water getting into the flan. You don't need
much water, certainly not enough to risk it slopping over. I usually have
more worries about slopping the custard mic into the water.

Dave Smith[_2_] 18-04-2007 01:47 AM

Dee Dee wrote:

> Re-reading your instructions, it looks like you didn't cook your
> milk,sugar, egg before you put them into the bowls?

Sorry. Forgot to address this question. The custard is cooked in the oven.
Melt the sugar and add water to make the caramel and pour it immediately
into the bowls. Then mix eggs, vanilla, sugar and milk and pour into the
bowls. Cook in the bain marie.

To serve, invert on a plate. The creme caramel should drop right out,
maintain its cylindrical shape and have a dark top and nice dark caramel
sauce on the plate.

Don't waste cream on this. It works fine with milk. I always use whole
milk.

Dave Smith[_2_] 18-04-2007 02:22 AM

Dee Dee wrote:

> I've read the Alton Brown, Tyler Florence, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger,
> and Cookworks recipes and they all say to temper the eggs with the hot
> milk; and I believe to dissolve the sugar in the hot milk. However,
> Michael Chirarello's recipe does not do this. Hmm.

Hold on a sec...... are you talking flan.... creme caramel .... or are you
looking for Creme Brulee. Creme Caramel AKA Flan, is a baked custard.
There is no need to cook it ahead. FWIW.... I just surfed up a few Creme
Brulee recipes and none of them mention tempering. Cold custard mix goes
into the ramekins in a bain marie for cooking.

Dave Smith[_2_] 18-04-2007 02:26 AM

merryb wrote:

> > Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
> > too though!!

> The custard mixes are the same- how it's put together makes the
> difference.

Similar, not the same. Creme Caramel uses milk and whole eggs. Creme Brulee
uses cream and egg yolks, and lot more of them. My recipe fore Creme
Caramel calls for 2 cups milk and two eggs, while Creme Brulee is more like
2 cups heavy cream and 8 yolks.

Dee Dee 18-04-2007 03:58 AM

On Apr 17, 8:47 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:

..

> Don't waste cream on this. It works fine with milk. I always use whole
> milk.

I agree with you. The whole milk tasted just fine. I certainly
didn't need cream.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee 18-04-2007 04:02 AM

On Apr 17, 8:43 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>

> > My first sugar melt was a disaster. But had time to make the second
> > time.

> Disaster??? Forgot to stir and it burned? :-)
> Some recipes call for the water and sugar to be heated together. I have
> tried that twice and it has failed both times. I find that heating it until
> it is straw coloured then taking it off the heat, adding a little water and
> pouring it into ramekins right away always works. It has never failed me.

I will try your instructions next time. I do recall that Tyler and a
couple of others (can't name them) did add lemon juice after it was
finished, and/or specifically corn syrup to keep it from crystalizing.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Dee Dee 18-04-2007 04:12 AM

On Apr 17, 9:22 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > I've read the Alton Brown, Tyler Florence, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger,
> > and Cookworks recipes and they all say to temper the eggs with the hot
> > milk; and I believe to dissolve the sugar in the hot milk. However,
> > Michael Chirarello's recipe does not do this. Hmm.

> Hold on a sec...... are you talking flan.... creme caramel .... or are you
> looking for Creme Brulee. Creme Caramel AKA Flan, is a baked custard.
> There is no need to cook it ahead. FWIW.... I just surfed up a few Creme
> Brulee recipes and none of them mention tempering. Cold custard mix goes
> into the ramekins in a bain marie for cooking.

I'm talking flan -- only flan AKA Creme Caramel.

I think perhaps in Tyler's recipe for flan, where he uses cream,
perhaps it is much more like the creme brulee.
Here are the ingredients for his custard mixture.

2 cups heavy cream
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
Pinch salt

***
When I was a kid, I would not have anything to do with milk or milk
dishes, but I remember one grandmother having a custard pie on the
table most days. I wonder what that custard contained, cream or milk.
There was plenty of both on the farm. The men were all skinny and the
women were all fat :-))
Dee Dee

Dee Dee 18-04-2007 04:18 AM

On Apr 17, 9:26 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> > > Creme brulee isn't the same as flan/creme caramel. I love creme brulee
> > > too though!!

> > The custard mixes are the same- how it's put together makes the
> > difference.

> Similar, not the same. Creme Caramel uses milk and whole eggs. Creme Brulee
> uses cream and egg yolks, and lot more of them. My recipe fore Creme
> Caramel calls for 2 cups milk and two eggs, while Creme Brulee is more like
> 2 cups heavy cream and 8 yolks.

That's an easy comparison to remember.
Tyler's recipe ingredients used more of the creme brulee ingredients,
but not completely all yolks. Seems he was in the middle of the road
between the two.

Alton Brown's recipe did not call for the caramel, but used different
toppings; i.e.,
An assortment of jams, preserves, or dessert sauces such as:
Blueberry jam, Apricot preserves, Butterscotch ice cream topping,
hot fudge ice cream topping.

None of these appeal to me. Have any of you tried this approach?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Dave Smith[_2_] 18-04-2007 02:55 PM

Dee Dee wrote:

> I will try your instructions next time. I do recall that Tyler and a
> couple of others (can't name them) did add lemon juice after it was
> finished, and/or specifically corn syrup to keep it from crystalizing.

I later found some that used heated cream. They were using vanilla beans so
they had to steep in the hot liquid to extract flavour, thus the reason for
tempering. If you use vanilla extract that is not necessary. But that was
Creme Brulee. Cream Caramel uses milk instead of cream. I always but it in
cold.

Dave Smith[_2_] 18-04-2007 02:57 PM

Dee Dee wrote:

> > Similar, not the same. Creme Caramel uses milk and whole eggs. Creme Brulee
> > uses cream and egg yolks, and lot more of them. My recipe fore Creme
> > Caramel calls for 2 cups milk and two eggs, while Creme Brulee is more like
> > 2 cups heavy cream and 8 yolks.

> That's an easy comparison to remember.
> Tyler's recipe ingredients used more of the creme brulee ingredients,
> but not completely all yolks. Seems he was in the middle of the road
> between the two.
>
> Alton Brown's recipe did not call for the caramel, but used different
> toppings; i.e.,
> An assortment of jams, preserves, or dessert sauces such as:
> Blueberry jam, Apricot preserves, Butterscotch ice cream topping,
> hot fudge ice cream topping.
>
> None of these appeal to me. Have any of you tried this approach?
> Thanks.

Good god no. Creme Caramel is a classic, a simple work of art. There is no
need to mess with it. It is quick and easy, and delicious, a treat for the
eyes and the tongue.

merryb 18-04-2007 04:27 PM

On Apr 17, 8:12 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 9:22 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > Dee Dee wrote:

> > > I've read the Alton Brown, Tyler Florence, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger,
> > > and Cookworks recipes and they all say to temper the eggs with the hot
> > > milk; and I believe to dissolve the sugar in the hot milk. However,
> > > Michael Chirarello's recipe does not do this. Hmm.

> > Hold on a sec...... are you talking flan.... creme caramel .... or are you
> > looking for Creme Brulee. Creme Caramel AKA Flan, is a baked custard.
> > There is no need to cook it ahead. FWIW.... I just surfed up a few Creme
> > Brulee recipes and none of them mention tempering. Cold custard mix goes
> > into the ramekins in a bain marie for cooking.

> I'm talking flan -- only flan AKA Creme Caramel.
>
> I think perhaps in Tyler's recipe for flan, where he uses cream,
> perhaps it is much more like the creme brulee.
> Here are the ingredients for his custard mixture.
>
> 2 cups heavy cream
> 1 cinnamon stick
> 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
>
> 3 large eggs
> 2 large egg yolks
> Pinch salt
>
> ***
> When I was a kid, I would not have anything to do with milk or milk
> dishes, but I remember one grandmother having a custard pie on the
> table most days. I wonder what that custard contained, cream or milk.
> There was plenty of both on the farm. The men were all skinny and the
> women were all fat :-))
> Dee Dee

The only difference between flan & creme brulee is the browned sugar
on top.

merryb 18-04-2007 04:30 PM

On Apr 18, 6:57 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > > Similar, not the same. Creme Caramel uses milk and whole eggs. Creme Brulee
> > > uses cream and egg yolks, and lot more of them. My recipe fore Creme
> > > Caramel calls for 2 cups milk and two eggs, while Creme Brulee is more like
> > > 2 cups heavy cream and 8 yolks.

> > That's an easy comparison to remember.
> > Tyler's recipe ingredients used more of the creme brulee ingredients,
> > but not completely all yolks. Seems he was in the middle of the road
> > between the two.

> > Alton Brown's recipe did not call for the caramel, but used different
> > toppings; i.e.,
> > An assortment of jams, preserves, or dessert sauces such as:
> > Blueberry jam, Apricot preserves, Butterscotch ice cream topping,
> > hot fudge ice cream topping.

> > None of these appeal to me. Have any of you tried this approach?
> > Thanks.

> Good god no. Creme Caramel is a classic, a simple work of art. There is no
> need to mess with it. It is quick and easy, and delicious, a treat for the
> eyes and the tongue.- Hide quoted text -

In a restaurant I worked in (and designed the dessert menu), I infused
the cream with orange zest to make Orange Creme Caramels

Goomba38 18-04-2007 06:36 PM

merryb wrote:

> The only difference between flan & creme brulee is the browned sugar
> on top.

Not all the times I've eaten it. Creme brulee custard was a slightly
different texture....richer and a bit "dryer" if that is possible? Flan
is a softer more geletin feeling custard. I imagine the various creams
and eggs included will very the end product.