Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flan - how much would you expect to pay

merryb wrote:

> In a restaurant I worked in (and designed the dessert menu), I infused
> the cream with orange zest to make Orange Creme Caramels

Was it good?
I had a nice Creme Brulee once with saffron and honey on top. It was quite
good, but to tell you the truth I don't think it was better than a regular
Creme Brulee with caramelized sugar on top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 12:23 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> > In a restaurant I worked in (and designed the dessert menu), I infused
> > the cream with orange zest to make Orange Creme Caramels

> Was it good?
> I had a nice Creme Brulee once with saffron and honey on top. It was quite
> good, but to tell you the truth I don't think it was better than a regular
> Creme Brulee with caramelized sugar on top.

Well, to be honest, I'm not a custard fan- too eggy for me. But it
imparted a nice flavor, and was different from the norm. I do know
that restaurant sold desserts to about 40% of their customers, so I
guess it was good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> The only difference between flan & creme brulee is the browned sugar
> on top.

Not exactly. Creme Brulee is much richer than creme caramel. It is made
with cream rather than milk, and with egg yolks instead of whole eggs, and
more of them. Creme Caramel is cooked with the caramel in the bottom to
make that nice sauce that ends up on top when you invert the dish onto a
plate. The sugar topping is added juste before serving and caramelized just
before serving in order to give that warmth and crispiness that provide
different textures and warmth.