Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default getting chocolate to harden

My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
cookie into it?

Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 2:31 pm, cathy > wrote:
> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
> but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
> melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
> cookie into it?
>
> Cathy

Paraffin wax IIRC, but I've never done it myself

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:31 pm, cathy > wrote:
>> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
>> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into
>> that, but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to
>> do to melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you
>> dip a cookie into it?
>>
>> Cathy

> Paraffin wax IIRC, but I've never done it myself

No.

You need to use couverture, and you need to temper it. Generally, though,
the chocolate on dipped items tends to have less "snap" than molded shells.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cathy wrote:

> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
> but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
> melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
> cookie into it?

If you melt chocolate chips gently enough that they return to their
original state without degrading the texture, the best you are going to get
it something the texture of chocolate chips. If you want something with
more of a shell texture you have to add some paraffin. I have never done it
myself but my mother makes macaroons and dip them in chocolate. They are a
seasonal treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 1:31 pm, cathy > wrote:
> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
> but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
> melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
> cookie into it?
>
> Cathy

The chocolate needs to be tempered, which requires some precision if
you do it like a professional candy-maker does.

OTOH, I think you can do a poor-man's version of tempering by melting
half the chips, and then stirring in the other half (not melted) until
the whole thing is melted.

Also, you can refrigerate the cookies until the chocolate is set, and
then remove them from the refrigerator. Sometimes this helps and
sometimes it doesn't.

As an adult, I find myself not wanting to use paraffin since it is a
petroleum product, but our parents and grandparents used it to top off
the jelly jars and to make the chocolate harder, and I'd be hard-
pressed to say that it hurt them in any way.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cathy" > wrote in message
> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
> but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
> melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
> cookie into it?
>
> Cathy

Use chocolate, not chocolate chips. If you heat it above 98*, you'll need to temper
it, which is easy enough for something like this, where it's not important that it be
terribly shiny and crisp. Just chop all the chocolate, melt 2/3 of it, then stir in
the remaining until smooth and melted. Dip, and let set at room temp (provided it
isn't mid-July and 106*f outside!). If your room is very warm, you can stick them in
the fridge until set.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Nancy2" > wrote:

> As an adult, I find myself not wanting to use paraffin since it is a
> petroleum product, but our parents and grandparents used it to top off
> the jelly jars and to make the chocolate harder, and I'd be hard-
> pressed to say that it hurt them in any way.

ISTR that my grandparents used beeswax for the jelly jars. I wonder if
it would harden chocolate?

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Choc chips don't have to be tempered. They already have enough additives in
them to make them closer to chocolate coating than pure chocolate.