frozen shrimp, how long will they keep in freezer?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
bd

Default frozen shrimp, how long will they keep in freezer?

i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put them in
the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are they still
good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was hoping to grill them
during the game tonight. thanks in advance for any help.

bd

Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

On Apr 2, 2:20 pm, "bd" wrote:
i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put them in
the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are they still
good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was hoping to grill them
during the game tonight. thanks in advance for any help.

They ought to be okay still, as far as food safety goes. But grilling
them tonight probably means thawing them too fast. To maximize your
chances of getting a decent result in terms of texture you usually
want to thaw them in the fridge as slowly as possible. I have even
put them (in a bag) on ice in the fridge to slow the process down. -
aem

Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bd

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 2:20 pm, "bd" wrote:
i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put them
in
the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are they still
good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was hoping to grill
them
during the game tonight. thanks in advance for any help.

They ought to be okay still, as far as food safety goes. But grilling
them tonight probably means thawing them too fast. To maximize your
chances of getting a decent result in terms of texture you usually
want to thaw them in the fridge as slowly as possible. I have even
put them (in a bag) on ice in the fridge to slow the process down. -
aem

many thanks aem. i've got them in the fridge, i'm guessing a couple of
days. i've always thawed them by running cold water over them. i'm looking
forward to seeing the difference. i'll follow up in a couple of days.
thanks again.

bd

Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "bd"
wrote:

i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put them in
the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are they still
good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was hoping to grill them
during the game tonight. thanks in advance for any help.

bd

If they were well wrapped, I've found them to be ok up to 2 years...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote in
news
In article , "bd"
wrote:

i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put
them in the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are
they still good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was
hoping to grill them during the game tonight. thanks in advance for
any help.

bd

If they were well wrapped, I've found them to be ok up to 2 years...

*2* years?????????????!!!

Prawns (aka shrimp) last about 5 mins in my household!!!

Any prawns come to Peters' house, you can hear them yelling.......
"Dead Prawn walking, dead prawn walking!!"

Was supposed to be having a bit of a party this long Easter weekend, but
it's been pushed back for a bit till we get all the new furniture in.
(Yes, it's that time of the year again!!)

I've already warned out my local fisho that I will be putting in a
*huge* order for prawns as soon as we have the date set :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterBREATH Lucas wrote:

Omelet wrote innews
In article , "bd"
wrote:

i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put
them in the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are
they still good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was
hoping to grill them during the game tonight. thanks in advance for
any help.

bd

If they were well wrapped, I've found them to be ok up to 2 years...

*2* years?????????????!!!

Prawns (aka shrimp) last about 5 mins in my household!!!

Maybe not everyone is a consumptive hog like you apparently are...

--
Best
Greg

Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Omelet wrote in
news
In article , "bd"
wrote:

i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put
them in the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are
they still good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was
hoping to grill them during the game tonight. thanks in advance for
any help.

bd

If they were well wrapped, I've found them to be ok up to 2 years...

*2* years?????????????!!!

Prawns (aka shrimp) last about 5 mins in my household!!!

Any prawns come to Peters' house, you can hear them yelling.......
"Dead Prawn walking, dead prawn walking!!"

Heh! :-)

It is rare for them to last that long here too... but occasionally a
package gets buried in the freezer accidently, and forgotten about, just
like in this case.

I recently unearthed an 18 month old package! It was fine.

Was supposed to be having a bit of a party this long Easter weekend, but
it's been pushed back for a bit till we get all the new furniture in.
(Yes, it's that time of the year again!!)

I've already warned out my local fisho that I will be putting in a
*huge* order for prawns as soon as we have the date set :-)

I'll be preparing some later today for a Birthday dinner, along with the
stuffed catfish and baked salmon. ;-d

Sea food tonight!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

PeterBREATH Lucas wrote:

Omelet wrote innews
In article , "bd"
wrote:

i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put
them in the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are
they still good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was
hoping to grill them during the game tonight. thanks in advance for
any help.

bd

If they were well wrapped, I've found them to be ok up to 2 years...

*2* years?????????????!!!

Prawns (aka shrimp) last about 5 mins in my household!!!

Maybe not everyone is a consumptive hog like you apparently are...

Maybe not everyone shits through their mouth like you do...
Old 05-04-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bd

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 2:20 pm, "bd" wrote:
i bought a bag of shrimp from sam's about eight months ago and put them
in
the freezer. i found them pushed to the back yesterday. are they still
good? will they be mush if i try to cook them? i was hoping to grill
them
during the game tonight. thanks in advance for any help.

They ought to be okay still, as far as food safety goes. But grilling
them tonight probably means thawing them too fast. To maximize your
chances of getting a decent result in terms of texture you usually
want to thaw them in the fridge as slowly as possible. I have even
put them (in a bag) on ice in the fridge to slow the process down. -
aem

thanks aem. i'll never thaw under water again.

bd

Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote in
news
In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Omelet wrote in
news
In article , "bd"
wrote:

[...]

I went and bought a whole load of meat yesterday, rump, rib fillet, ham,
lamb steaks (not for me!!), chicken titties, mince etc... and the butchers
has a large seafood section, so I came away with 1&1/2 kgs of large prawns,
so around 4pm we'll be cracking a bottle or two of bubbly and hoeing into a
large pile of prawns out on the deck.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Omelet wrote in
news
In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Omelet wrote in
news
In article , "bd"
wrote:

[...]

I need to grill prawns again. The smoked flavor is very complimentary.
Wrapping them in bacon is a thought too. I decided to forego the
stuffed catfish! Dad bought enough veggies to feed an army!

Did you see my pics?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote in
news

I went and bought a whole load of meat yesterday, rump, rib fillet,
ham, lamb steaks (not for me!!), chicken titties, mince etc... and
the butchers has a large seafood section, so I came away with 1&1/2
kgs of large prawns, so around 4pm we'll be cracking a bottle or two
of bubbly and hoeing into a large pile of prawns out on the deck.

I need to grill prawns again. The smoked flavor is very complimentary.
Wrapping them in bacon is a thought too. I decided to forego the
stuffed catfish! Dad bought enough veggies to feed an army!

Did you see my pics?

Been looking, but can't see them......... must have missed them in
amongst all the other posts.

Please repost the links in this thread :-)

Old 07-04-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Omelet wrote in
news

I went and bought a whole load of meat yesterday, rump, rib fillet,
ham, lamb steaks (not for me!!), chicken titties, mince etc... and
the butchers has a large seafood section, so I came away with 1&1/2
kgs of large prawns, so around 4pm we'll be cracking a bottle or two
of bubbly and hoeing into a large pile of prawns out on the deck.

I need to grill prawns again. The smoked flavor is very complimentary.
Wrapping them in bacon is a thought too. I decided to forego the
stuffed catfish! Dad bought enough veggies to feed an army!

Did you see my pics?

Been looking, but can't see them......... must have missed them in
amongst all the other posts.

Please repost the links in this thread :-)

Salad 040407
http://i3.tinypic.com/4d4txqb.jpg

Mixed organic greenery with a choice of dressings.

Dinner 040407
http://i13.tinypic.com/2lna7te.jpg

Baked salmon with herbs and lemon, sautee'd shrimp and steamed veggies.
Simple and delicious. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
PeterLucas wrote:

Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Hey, I LIKE that sig! :-)
--