FoodBanter.com

-   -   What is Farro? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/119562-what-farro.html)

maxine in ri 23-03-2007 04:07 PM

What is Farro?

Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.

When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?
Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
health benefits?

Saw a store the other day that advertized "We sell African Food" in
the window. Will have to check it out.

maxine in ri

Emma Thackery 23-03-2007 04:17 PM

What is Farro?

In article . com>,
"maxine in ri" > wrote:

> Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
> coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.
>
> When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?
> Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> health benefits?
>
> Saw a store the other day that advertized "We sell African Food" in
> the window. Will have to check it out.

You'll probably find a lot of info on it if you Google it. Farro is in
the triticum (wheat) family, a rather old form as I recall.

maxine in ri 23-03-2007 04:27 PM

What is Farro?

On Mar 23, 1:11 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
> > coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.

> > When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?
> > Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> > health benefits?

> > Saw a store the other day that advertized "We sell African Food" in
> > the window. Will have to check it out.

> > maxine in ri

> A rather boring read, it's yet another grain.
>
> http://italianfood.about.com/library/rec/blr0002.htm
>
> Jill

Sorta suspected it from the photos. Low-yield, so cost will be higher
than other grains. Thanks.
maxine

Vilco[_1_] 23-03-2007 04:31 PM

What is Farro?

maxine in ri wrote:

> Saw a store the other day that advertized "We sell African Food" in
> the window. Will have to check it out.

As Emma and Jill already wrote, farro is just another kind of wheat. the
main difference is that farro is usually used whole instead of in flour as
wheat. It's usually used in soups almost like we do for dry beans: put in
water overnigth to soften and then cook for a good pair of hours. A typical
dressing is cheese sauce or cheese and diced pears/apples.
Usualy it gets cooked using only the rigth amount of water so you don't have
to drain it, and if the dressing is cheese it often gets added around the
end of cooking time. Other dressings or ingredients who require longer
cooking times can be put in the soup before.
I'ts very similar to "orzo perlato" (pearled barley, don't know what
"perlato/pearled" means), which gets used almost the same way.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Vilco[_1_] 23-03-2007 04:32 PM

What is Farro?

maxine in ri wrote:

> Sorta suspected it from the photos. Low-yield, so cost will be higher
> than other grains. Thanks.

Try using google images with the keyword "zuppa di farro" (farro soup).
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Mr Libido Incognito 23-03-2007 05:11 PM

What is Farro?

Emma Thackery wrote on 23 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> You'll probably find a lot of info on it if you Google it. Farro is in
> the triticum (wheat) family, a rather old form as I recall.

Triticum wheat makes nice tasty bread and extra healthy too. That's the
full extent of my experience with the stuff. My dearly departed mother made
a dozen loaves every other week for many years.

jmcquown 23-03-2007 05:11 PM

What is Farro?

Mr Libido Incognito 23-03-2007 05:13 PM

What is Farro?

Vilco wrote on 23 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> I'ts very similar to "orzo perlato" (pearled barley, don't know what
> "perlato/pearled" means), which gets used almost the same way.

It means both the bran and the hull have been removed. Pot barley that has
been further refined by removing the hull or outer skin of the
barley...there was a thread maybe last year....

Victor Sack[_1_] 23-03-2007 10:52 PM

What is Farro?

maxine in ri > wrote:

> Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
> coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.

Farro is spelt, an acient form of wheat.

> When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?

Mostly Tuscany (spelt from the Garfagnana region is famous) and Umbria.
However, there is nothing specifically Italian about spelt. It is
rather popular here in Germany, where it is called Dinkel. Its young,
immature form is called Grünkern and I posted about a soup I made with
it just a week ago. Dinkel is very good for baking; Grünkern is not.

> Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> health benefits?

The spectrum and amount of amino acids in spelt is much greater than in
modern wheat. There is also a lot of vitamins and minerals, as well as
silicic acid which is held to be beneficial.

Spelt is more expensive than wheat because of its lesser yield and
because of its hard husk which cannot be removed by normal threshing
machines.

Victor

maxine in ri 24-03-2007 02:45 AM

What is Farro?

On Mar 23, 12:31 pm, "Vilco" > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > Saw a store the other day that advertized "We sell African Food" in
> > the window. Will have to check it out.

> As Emma and Jill already wrote, farro is just another kind of wheat. the
> main difference is that farro is usually used whole instead of in flour as
> wheat. It's usually used in soups almost like we do for dry beans: put in
> water overnigth to soften and then cook for a good pair of hours. A typical
> dressing is cheese sauce or cheese and diced pears/apples.
> Usualy it gets cooked using only the rigth amount of water so you don't have
> to drain it, and if the dressing is cheese it often gets added around the
> end of cooking time. Other dressings or ingredients who require longer
> cooking times can be put in the soup before.
> I'ts very similar to "orzo perlato" (pearled barley, don't know what
> "perlato/pearled" means), which gets used almost the same way.
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

Pearled barley is hulled and sort of pearly white. It's another grain
that
will soak up any and all excess liquid. I usually cook barley
separately,
and add it by spoonfuls to soup just before serving.

maxine in ri

maxine in ri 24-03-2007 02:50 AM

What is Farro?

On Mar 23, 6:52 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> > Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
> > coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.

> Farro is spelt, an acient form of wheat.
>
> > When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?

> Mostly Tuscany (spelt from the Garfagnana region is famous) and Umbria.
> However, there is nothing specifically Italian about spelt. It is
> rather popular here in Germany, where it is called Dinkel. Its young,
> immature form is called Grünkern and I posted about a soup I made with
> it just a week ago. Dinkel is very good for baking; Grünkern is not.
>
> > Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> > health benefits?

> The spectrum and amount of amino acids in spelt is much greater than in
> modern wheat. There is also a lot of vitamins and minerals, as well as
> silicic acid which is held to be beneficial.
>
> Spelt is more expensive than wheat because of its lesser yield and
> because of its hard husk which cannot be removed by normal threshing
> machines.
>
> Victor

Thank you for information that was not in the article to which Jill
referred
me. While it did say it was another name for spelt, the article also
mentioned
that it is yet another grain in that family that went out of fashion
because of
the low yield per acre.

Since I'm not much of a plan-ahead person (that slab of beef aside),
It sounds
like something I probably won't go out of my way to find.

maxine in ri

Jke 24-03-2007 08:24 AM

What is Farro?

"maxine in ri" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...
On Mar 23, 6:52 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> > Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
> > coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.

> Farro is spelt, an acient form of wheat.
>
> > When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?

> Mostly Tuscany (spelt from the Garfagnana region is famous) and Umbria.
> However, there is nothing specifically Italian about spelt. It is
> rather popular here in Germany, where it is called Dinkel. Its young,
> immature form is called Grünkern and I posted about a soup I made with
> it just a week ago. Dinkel is very good for baking; Grünkern is not.
>
> > Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> > health benefits?

> The spectrum and amount of amino acids in spelt is much greater than in
> modern wheat. There is also a lot of vitamins and minerals, as well as
> silicic acid which is held to be beneficial.
>
> Spelt is more expensive than wheat because of its lesser yield and
> because of its hard husk which cannot be removed by normal threshing
> machines.
>
> Victor

Thank you for information that was not in the article to which Jill
referred
me. While it did say it was another name for spelt, the article also
mentioned
that it is yet another grain in that family that went out of fashion
because of
the low yield per acre.

Since I'm not much of a plan-ahead person (that slab of beef aside),
It sounds
like something I probably won't go out of my way to find.

maxine in ri

Farro and spelt arrre strongly related, but theya re not the same.

Sheldon 24-03-2007 12:54 PM

What is Farro?

"maxine in ri" wrote:
> Saw it on a menu. *Then in a recipe in Gourmet. *Asked my Italian
> coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.
>
> When did it become such a hot item? *What part of Italy is it from?
> Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> health benefits?

http://italianfood.about.com/library/rec/blr0002.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmer

Sheldon

maxine in ri 24-03-2007 02:43 PM

What is Farro?

On Mar 24, 8:54 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> "maxine in ri" wrote:
> > Saw it on a menu. ?Then in a recipe in Gourmet. ?Asked my Italian
> > coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.

> > When did it become such a hot item? ?What part of Italy is it from?
> > Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
> > health benefits?

> http://italianfood.about.com/library/rec/blr0002.htm
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmer
>
> Sheldon

Thanks, Sheldon. The wikipedia reference is particularly informative
about the where and whats.
maxine

Nathalie Chiva 25-03-2007 10:45 PM

What is Farro?

On 23 Mar 2007 09:07:57 -0700, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>Saw it on a menu. Then in a recipe in Gourmet. Asked my Italian
>coworkers about it, and one had never heard of it.
>
>When did it become such a hot item? What part of Italy is it from?
>Is it just another starch grain to vary the menu, or does it have
>health benefits?

Farro is spelt.

Nathalie