antidote for too many cloves?

Old 23-03-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default antidote for too many cloves?

let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20 cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

Old 23-03-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message

let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20 cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

If whole cloves were added, it might not be tooooo bad. The garlic
taste supposedly gets stronger as you mince. I've cooked soup with
a whole head of whole garlic cloves and it was not bad. But I like
garlic. You might want to take out the roast and let it cool in the
fridge for sammiches and toss the other stuff if it's unpalatable.
Did *someone* cook it with other stuff?
Edrena

Old 23-03-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Joneses" wrote

"tert in seattle" wrote

let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20 cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

If whole cloves were added, it might not be tooooo bad. The garlic
taste supposedly gets stronger as you mince.

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

nancy

Old 23-03-2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

"The Joneses" wrote

"tert in seattle" wrote

let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20

cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

If whole cloves were added, it might not be tooooo bad. The garlic
taste supposedly gets stronger as you mince.

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

nancy

Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.
Old 23-03-2007, 11:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.

I don't know. Seems reasonable, they taste like they could
be bad for you.

nancy

Old 23-03-2007, 11:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.

I don't know. Seems reasonable, they taste like they could
be bad for you.

nancy

Well, so does 40 cloves of garlic!!! Who in their right mind?

Andy
Old 23-03-2007, 11:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" q wrote

Nancy Young said...

"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.

I don't know. Seems reasonable, they taste like they could
be bad for you.

Well, so does 40 cloves of garlic!!! Who in their right mind?

No! That's good for you!

nancy

Old 23-03-2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 23 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

I don't know. Seems reasonable, they taste like they could
be bad for you.

Well, so does 40 cloves of garlic!!! Who in their right mind?

No! That's good for you!

nancy

Better than good for you!
Old 23-03-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

"The Joneses" wrote

"tert in seattle" wrote
let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20

cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?
If whole cloves were added, it might not be tooooo bad. The garlic
taste supposedly gets stronger as you mince.

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

nancy

Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.

Oil of cloves is a bit toxic but it is also used for things like dry
socket for your wisdom tooth. Whole cloves are sometimes chewed as a
breath freshener and have some antiseptic properties. Almost anything in
huge quantities is bad for you. But they aren't like nutmeg in quantities.

Melondy
Old 23-03-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 7:13 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking
Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.

I don't know. Seems reasonable, they taste like they could
be bad for you.

nancy

I love cloves... But you knew that, right???

...fred

Old 23-03-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20 cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

Without knowing how huch corned beef (and especially how much water)
you're talking it's difficult to say if you're actually using too many
cloves.

Cloves are a normal part of pickling spice. Typical stupidmarket
pickling spice uses very few cloves, because cloves are expensive,
mostly they use mustard seed, the cheapest spice. Were I cooking
corned beef 20 cloves would be too few in my pickling spice, but I
cook like 20lbs of corned beef in like 20 quarts of water. I like
Penzeys pickling spice, it is potent with the "good stuff", contains
lots of cloves.

Penzeys:
"We use less mustard seed than most pickling spice mixes, as mustard
is the least expensive spice around. Hand-mixed from: yellow and brown
Canadian mustard seeds, Jamaican allspice, cracked China cassia,
cracked Turkish bay leaves, dill seed, Zanzibar cloves, cracked China
ginger, Tellicherry peppercorns, star anise, Moroccan coriander,
juniper berries, West Indies mace, cardamom and medium hot crushed red
peppers."

How do you know that your corned beef will have too strong a clove
flavor, did you taste it? If it's still cooking add lots more hot
water (adding cold water will cause the meat to seize, so it can't
readily release the clove flavor. If it's finished cooking you can
still simmer it awhile in plain water. A good neutralizer for cloves
is hot pepper (as in jerk sauce), if you don't mind the heat, and
citrus with it's sweet tart flavor will also counteract clove flavor,
add the peel of an orange. I often add an orange rind and a lemon
rind to my corned beef boil as a matter of course.

But you haven't actually said that your corned beef has too much clove
flavor, only that you think you added too many cloves. Why don't you
try tasting some and report back.

Sheldon

Old 23-03-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message

let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20 cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

Step 1 - change the water
Step 2 - lose the cloves
Step 3 - Simmer in a 50-50 mixture of water & apple juice

Dimitri

Old 23-03-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" wrote

On Mar 23, 7:13 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking
Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.
Aren't cloves (the spice) slightly poisionous?.

I don't know. Seems reasonable, they taste like they could
be bad for you.

I love cloves... But you knew that, right???

Much to my disappointment, you misread the memo, it's
GARLIC cloves you are supposed to like.

nancy

Old 23-03-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"The Joneses" wrote

"tert in seattle" wrote

let's say someone got the instructions wrong and added about 20 cloves
instead of 1 or 2 to a corned beef recipe and let it simmer that way
for about two hours ... is there an antidote?

If whole cloves were added, it might not be tooooo bad. The garlic
taste supposedly gets stronger as you mince.

Oh, I don't think he means garlic, as there never is too much of
that. Heh. I think he means cloves, the spice.

nancy

What I get for logging after a good supper. No grouping without coffee from
now on.
Edrena