Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default storage times

Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
home freezer.

Thank you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 7:36 am, "lyngiven" > wrote:
> Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
> home freezer.
>
> Thank you

Depends on the freezer to some extend. If it is a self-defrosting
refrigerator freezer probably a couple of weeks but I am judging by
what it does to ice cream . With a good chest freezer probably 2-5
years would be okay.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote on 19 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> On Mar 19, 7:36 am, "lyngiven" > wrote:
> > Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
> > home freezer.
> >
> > Thank you

> Depends on the freezer to some extend. If it is a self-defrosting
> refrigerator freezer probably a couple of weeks but I am judging by
> what it does to ice cream . With a good chest freezer probably 2-5
> years would be okay.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

The recommend storeage times in freezers is from 6 to 8 months for
meat...freezer type and how it's wrapped play important roles. for more
extact info...google is your friend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"lyngiven" > wrote:

> Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
> home freezer.
>
> Thank you

Safely? A long time.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/store.html
Check it out. There's lots of good information on the NCHFP site.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"lyngiven" > wrote:

> Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
> home freezer.
>
> Thank you

It's not a matter of safety so much as taste.

I've personally found that 2 to 3 years is pushing it without extreme
measures such as vacuum packing.

Anything under 2 years is fine.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lyngiven wrote:
> Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
> home freezer.
>
> Thank you

Are you talking safety-wise or taste/use-wise? If you're talking taste
and good quality, it depends on the 'size' of your meat cut.

If it is a roast or thick steak it keeps best for 6-12 months.
Stew meat or thin steaks is good for 3-4 months.
Ground beef stays good only about 3 months.
Corned beef in it's original packaging keeps for 3 months.
Whole chicken or turkeys keep 1 year
Chicken and turkey parts keep 9-12 months
Pork roasts, chops keep about 4-6 months
Sausage only 1-2 months

Just remember that the smaller the meat is cut, all the way to ground,
the shorter the freezer live it has.

However frozen foods stay safe just about indefinitely.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On Mar 19, 7:36 am, "lyngiven" > wrote:
>> Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
>> home freezer.
>>
>> Thank you

> Depends on the freezer to some extend. If it is a self-defrosting
> refrigerator freezer probably a couple of weeks but I am judging by
> what it does to ice cream . With a good chest freezer probably 2-5
> years would be okay.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

The newer frost free fridges work much better. We did a kitchen remodel
and had a working fridge but decided to get a new one. The old one had a
very noticeable rise in freezer temperature if you happened to open it
towards the end of the defrost cycle. Likely because the defrost was
simply a cycle on a timer which disabled the compressor and turned the
heaters on for a fixed time period. The new fridge does not have the
huge rise in freezer temperature. Probably because there is both a timer
and a thermostat to turn the heaters off.

The result is that items like ice cream don't get funky and I have never
seen freezer burn even on items that got buried or forgotten even though
we don't use vacuum sealer bags etc. Also they do a much better job on
having a uniform refrigerator temp. That means you can keep the
temperature lower without freezing in spots and stuff lasts forever. We
have never had soured milk or fuzzy yogurt with the new fridge. And the
fridge uses significantly less electricity than the one it replaced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 19, 7:36 am, "lyngiven" > wrote:
>> Please can someone adivise me on how long can I safely keep beef in my
>> home freezer.
>>
>> Thank you

> Depends on the freezer to some extend. If it is a self-defrosting
> refrigerator freezer probably a couple of weeks but I am judging by
> what it does to ice cream . With a good chest freezer probably 2-5
> years would be okay.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

I agree, though 2+ years would probably take some nerve. If you use a non
frost free
freezer, particularly a chest freezer, which holds the moisture when you
open it, you can go quite a long time. We just had barbequed baby back ribs
that had been frozen just short of one year and they were just fine.
I think most would agree that wrapping your food is important. I wrap meat
tightly with Cling wrap from Costco, and then with foil or a double zip lock
bag. Suck the extra air out of the bad first, sort of a human vacuum pack.
It's cheapter than the Tilias.

Kent