Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Default Beautiful Bread

This recipe made the MOST beautiful bread I have ever seen. Of
course...the method and ingredients made me wonder....but WOW!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

No-Knead Bread

breads

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour; more for work surface
1/4 ts instant yeast
1 1/4 ts salt
olive oil; as needed
cornmeal or wheat bran; as needed

In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water,
and
stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Coat a second
large
bowl with olive oil. Transfer dough to oiled bowl and cover bowl with
plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, but preferably up to
18, in
a room about 70° in temperature. When surface is dotted with bubbles,
dough is ready.

Lightly flour work surface. Place dough on work surface and sprinkle
with
more flour. Fold the dough over on itself once or twice. Loosely cover
with
plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Sprinkle just enough flour over work surface and your fingers to keep
dough
from sticking; quickly and gently shape dough into a ball. Generously
coat
a cotton, non-terry cloth towel with flour, cornmeal, or wheat bran;
place
dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, cornmeal, or
wheat
bran. Cover with a second cotton, non-terry cloth towel and let rise
until
it has more than doubled in size and does not readily spring back when
poked with a finger, about 2 hours.

After about 1 1/2 hours, preheat oven to 450°. Place a 6 to 8-quart
heavy
covered pot, such as cast iron or Pyrex, in oven as it heats. When
dough
has fully risen, carefully remove pot from oven. Remove top towel from
dough and slide your hand under the bottom towel; turn dough over into
pot,
seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough looks unevenly
distributed;
it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover, and bake 30 minutes.
Uncover,
and continue baking until browned, 15 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire
rack.

Contributor: Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> This recipe made the MOST beautiful bread I have ever seen. Of
> course...the method and ingredients made me wonder....but WOW!
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> No-Knead Bread

snip recipe for NY Times No-Knead Bread
Yes. This is a lovely bread. You should try it. The directions tell it
exactly like it is and the method is easy. The bread has a lot of flavor as
well as looks.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Janet B. wrote:
> "Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
>> This recipe made the MOST beautiful bread I have ever seen. Of
>> course...the method and ingredients made me wonder....but WOW!
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> No-Knead Bread

> snip recipe for NY Times No-Knead Bread
> Yes. This is a lovely bread. You should try it. The directions tell it
> exactly like it is and the method is easy. The bread has a lot of flavor as
> well as looks.
> Janet

.... and almost embarrassingly easy!

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Ward Abbott > wrote:
>No-Knead Bread

A lie.

That step in the middle where you fold the bread over
between risings?

That's still kneading.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Ward Abbott > wrote:
>> No-Knead Bread

> A lie.
>
> That step in the middle where you fold the bread over
> between risings?
>
> That's still kneading.
>
> --Blair

Agreed, but it's a FAR cry from the heavy labor of pressing and pulling
a few pounds of low-hydration dough for 10 minutes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

The newspapers in Australia have also been calling it "their" recipe! It
looks as though it has become really popular all round the world. It's the
usual story - success has many parents but failure is an orphan.

The best thing about this bread is that it has fascinated by 9 year old who
can't believe she can make bread so easily. After cooking, we slice it and
freeze it. Then we pull it out one slice at a time and she takes it to
school for lunch. It's the only thing she's eaten for the last few weeks.
Not sure how long this fad will last.

I was really pleased to be able to make a good heavy bread. The closest
thing I've seen to it here is sourdough or turkish bread. Being able to
make my own means I no longer have to try and find some as the best shops
are quite a distance from home (but worth travelling for).

"Janet B." > wrote in message

> "Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
>> This recipe made the MOST beautiful bread I have ever seen. Of
>> course...the method and ingredients made me wonder....but WOW!
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> No-Knead Bread

> snip recipe for NY Times No-Knead Bread
> Yes. This is a lovely bread. You should try it. The directions tell it
> exactly like it is and the method is easy. The bread has a lot of flavor
> as well as looks.
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> The newspapers in Australia have also been calling it "their" recipe! It
> looks as though it has become really popular all round the world. It's
> the usual story - success has many parents but failure is an orphan.
>
> The best thing about this bread is that it has fascinated by 9 year old
> who can't believe she can make bread so easily. After cooking, we slice
> it and freeze it. Then we pull it out one slice at a time and she takes
> it to school for lunch. It's the only thing she's eaten for the last few
> weeks. Not sure how long this fad will last.
>
> I was really pleased to be able to make a good heavy bread. The closest
> thing I've seen to it here is sourdough or turkish bread. Being able to
> make my own means I no longer have to try and find some as the best shops
> are quite a distance from home (but worth travelling for).
>
> "Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
>>> This recipe made the MOST beautiful bread I have ever seen. Of
>>> course...the method and ingredients made me wonder....but WOW!
>>>
>>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>>
>>> No-Knead Bread

>> snip recipe for NY Times No-Knead Bread
>> Yes. This is a lovely bread. You should try it. The directions tell it
>> exactly like it is and the method is easy. The bread has a lot of flavor
>> as well as looks.
>> Janet

The baking technique is what is important, I think. I now make most of my
bread using a Le Creuset at 450F. The recipe however, is one of my own.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

graham wrote:
> "Viviane" > wrote in message
>> The newspapers in Australia have also been calling it "their" recipe! It
>> looks as though it has become really popular all round the world. It's
>> the usual story - success has many parents but failure is an orphan.
>>
>> The best thing about this bread is that it has fascinated by 9 year old
>> who can't believe she can make bread so easily. After cooking, we slice
>> it and freeze it. Then we pull it out one slice at a time and she takes
>> it to school for lunch. It's the only thing she's eaten for the last few
>> weeks. Not sure how long this fad will last.
>>
>> I was really pleased to be able to make a good heavy bread. The closest
>> thing I've seen to it here is sourdough or turkish bread. Being able to
>> make my own means I no longer have to try and find some as the best shops
>> are quite a distance from home (but worth travelling for).

>>> snip recipe for NY Times No-Knead Bread
>>> Yes. This is a lovely bread. You should try it. The directions tell it
>>> exactly like it is and the method is easy. The bread has a lot of flavor
>>> as well as looks.
>>> Janet
>>>

> The baking technique is what is important, I think. I now make most of my
> bread using a Le Creuset at 450F. The recipe however, is one of my own.
> Graham

I made the no knead recipe here for the first time and it was the best
I've ever made. I think the atmosphere is great here for bread
baking...and Naples bakeries make some wonderful sourdoughs so I'm going
to try that too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Ravenlynne" > wrote in message

>> The baking technique is what is important, I think. I now make most of
>> my bread using a Le Creuset at 450F. The recipe however, is one of my
>> own.
>> Graham

> I made the no knead recipe here for the first time and it was the best
> I've ever made. I think the atmosphere is great here for bread
> baking...and Naples bakeries make some wonderful sourdoughs so I'm going
> to try that too.

I often make a SD sponge with the leftover culture from when I refresh the
"mother".
To the SD I add 100g bread flour and 70ml water, mix and leave for a few
hours or over night depending on my schedule. I then add 280ml of water
400g of flour, 2tsp instant yeast (dissolved in the water) and 2 tsp salt,
knead proof and rise in the usual way. During the second rise, I heat the
Le Creuset in the oven and when ready, tip the dough into the pot, slash it
and put on the lid.
The 400g of flour usually includes about 50g of rye flour.
It's not pure sourdough but then, I'm not a SD fanatic{:-)
Graham

a beautiful name icetea Tea 5 14-05-2010 03:02 PM
There are beautiful!!! merry General Cooking 0 19-05-2008 04:07 PM
your time has come lyrics,your married name,your upload speed,youronly friends are make believe,your the only one for me,your mine ours,yourname here promotions,youre beautiful youre beautiful to me, [email protected] General Cooking 0 30-04-2008 04:30 PM
your time has come lyrics,your married name,your upload speed,youronly friends are make believe,your the only one for me,your mine ours,yourname here promotions,youre beautiful youre beautiful to me, [email protected] General Cooking 0 30-04-2008 04:29 PM
Beautiful Bread Ward Abbott Baking 12 13-03-2007 02:56 PM