Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wonderful meatloaf

I made meatloaf the other night and it came out deliciously moist and
flavourful... the secret was that I put in a bunch of ground
vegetables for flavour, and I used ground beef with a small amount of
lightly-seasoned breakfast sausage for the meat... and when I baked it
I topped it with slices of bacon. There was a ton of fat in the pan at
the end of cooking, but I drained it off on paper towel and it came
out delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 1:31?pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> I made meatloaf the other night and it came out deliciously moist and
> flavourful... the secret was that I put in a bunch of ground
> vegetables for flavour, and I used ground beef with a small amount of
> lightly-seasoned breakfast sausage for the meat... and when I baked it
> I topped it with slices of bacon. There was a ton of fat in the pan at
> the end of cooking, but I drained it off on paper towel and it came
> out delicious.

When you say ground vegetables can I assume you mean ground with a
meat grinder... I've been advocating that for many years... next time
grind in a couple of scrubbed spuds too. You ground your own meat too
I presume. A good way to deal with the accumulated fat is when you
form the loaf in a pan that you place it more to one end, so that as
soon as it's out of the oven set it atilt so the fat accumulates all
to the side, instead of getting reabsorbed into the meat, where you
can spoon it off.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 1:18 pm, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> On Mar 2, 1:31?pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>
> > I made meatloaf the other night and it came out deliciously moist and
> > flavourful... the secret was that I put in a bunch of ground
> > vegetables for flavour, and I used ground beef with a small amount of
> > lightly-seasoned breakfast sausage for the meat... and when I baked it
> > I topped it with slices of bacon. There was a ton of fat in the pan at
> > the end of cooking, but I drained it off on paper towel and it came
> > out delicious.

> When you say ground vegetables can I assume you mean ground with a
> meat grinder... I've been advocating that for many years... next time
> grind in a couple of scrubbed spuds too. You ground your own meat too
> I presume. A good way to deal with the accumulated fat is when you
> form the loaf in a pan that you place it more to one end, so that as
> soon as it's out of the oven set it atilt so the fat accumulates all
> to the side, instead of getting reabsorbed into the meat, where you
> can spoon it off.
>
> Sheldon

One of our local eateries puts ground up ham and also carrots in their
lasagne meat layer, along with ground beef. It's pretty tasty, and
you can't tell those ingredients are there unless you see it before
it's baked.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Mar 2007 11:18:48 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>On Mar 2, 1:31?pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>> I made meatloaf the other night and it came out deliciously moist and
>> flavourful... the secret was that I put in a bunch of ground
>> vegetables for flavour, and I used ground beef with a small amount of
>> lightly-seasoned breakfast sausage for the meat... and when I baked it
>> I topped it with slices of bacon. There was a ton of fat in the pan at
>> the end of cooking, but I drained it off on paper towel and it came
>> out delicious.

>When you say ground vegetables can I assume you mean ground with a
>meat grinder... I've been advocating that for many years... next time
>grind in a couple of scrubbed spuds too. You ground your own meat too
>I presume. A good way to deal with the accumulated fat is when you
>form the loaf in a pan that you place it more to one end, so that as
>soon as it's out of the oven set it atilt so the fat accumulates all
>to the side, instead of getting reabsorbed into the meat, where you
>can spoon it off.

I ground them up in the food processor - DH doesn't like 'chunks' in
his meatloaf or spaghetti sauce... I can't say I've ever thought of
putting potato into it!

Wonderful Biscuits Bryan[_6_] Baking 8 02-05-2011 07:36 PM
Wonderful Biscuits Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 9 22-01-2011 05:56 PM
Wonderful Website...!!! Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-11-2010 04:46 PM
Wonderful dosas Peter A General Cooking 1 25-06-2007 11:44 PM
Something easy and wonderful!! Ward Abbott General Cooking 1 23-02-2007 12:42 AM