Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Chicken Pot Pie Stew

mmm
looks good for a cold snowy day.

According to the article in the paper there are long lines in their
restaurants for this stew.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chicken Pot Pie Stew

soups/stews

1 1/4 pounds red potatoes; cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 pound cooked chicken breast; boneless skinless
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 pound carrots; sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 pound celery; sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 pound mushrooms; quartered
1/2 pound pearl onions
2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 cup margarine or butter
1 tablespoon garlic; finely minced
3/4 cup all purpose flour
5 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 pound peas
1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
-your favorite buttermilk biscuit-

In a pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil and cook potatoes for 10
minutes, or until tender. Drain potatoes and cool in ice water. Drain
and set aside. Slice chicken into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
In a saucepan, combine oil, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions and
thyme. Saute on medium heat 10 minutes, or until vegetables are
tender. Set aside.

Melt margarine in a 5-quart pot. Add garlic and saute on medium heat
for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook on low heat for 5 minutes,
stirring constantly. Whisk in broth, salt and peppers. Heat to a low
boil on medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened,
stirring constantly. Stir in milk and cream. Simmer for 3 minutes
Add peas, parsley, potatoes, vegetables and chicken to broth. *Season
with salt and pepper and cook until heated through. Place a buttermilk
biscuit in a soup bowl ladle stew over biscuit

* Don't know if this is additional salt and pepper or a typo as the
salt and peppers were added with the broth. It was in the directions
so I copied as is.

Contributor: Souplantation

Koko
--
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 28, 3:37 pm, Koko > wrote:
> mmm
> looks good for a cold snowy day.
>
> According to the article in the paper there are long lines in their
> restaurants for this stew. [snip recipe]

As usual with restaurant recipes the home cook can improve it with a
few changes that are not practical for commerce. First, use both dark
and white meat chicken. Second, add a splash of sherry or white wine
at the end of the veggie sauteeing process. Finally, you can tweak
the seasonings to personal taste. I would add a pinch or two of
rubbed sage and a tiny bit of nutmeg, but your taste preferences may
differ. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Feb 2007 15:59:11 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>On Feb 28, 3:37 pm, Koko > wrote:
>> mmm
>> looks good for a cold snowy day.
>>
>> According to the article in the paper there are long lines in their
>> restaurants for this stew. [snip recipe]

>As usual with restaurant recipes the home cook can improve it with a
>few changes that are not practical for commerce. First, use both dark
>and white meat chicken. Second, add a splash of sherry or white wine
>at the end of the veggie sauteeing process. Finally, you can tweak
>the seasonings to personal taste. I would add a pinch or two of
>rubbed sage and a tiny bit of nutmeg, but your taste preferences may
>differ. -aem

Great ideas.
My first thought was to add more garlic.

Koko
--
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
updated 2/25

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Pot Pie Stew

"Koko" > wrote in message

> mmm
> looks good for a cold snowy day.
>
> According to the article in the paper there are long lines in their
> restaurants for this stew.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Chicken Pot Pie Stew
>
> soups/stews
>
> 1 1/4 pounds red potatoes; cut into 3/4 inch cubes
> 1 pound cooked chicken breast; boneless skinless
> 2 tablespoons canola oil
> 3/4 pound carrots; sliced 1/4 inch thick
> 1/2 pound celery; sliced 1/4 inch thick
> 1/2 pound mushrooms; quartered
> 1/2 pound pearl onions
> 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
> 1 cup margarine or butter
> 1 tablespoon garlic; finely minced
> 3/4 cup all purpose flour
> 5 cups chicken broth
> 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
> 1 teaspoon white pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 2 1/2 cups whole milk
> 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
> 1/4 pound peas
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
> -your favorite buttermilk biscuit-
>
> In a pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil and cook potatoes for 10
> minutes, or until tender. Drain potatoes and cool in ice water. Drain
> and set aside. Slice chicken into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
> In a saucepan, combine oil, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions and
> thyme. Saute on medium heat 10 minutes, or until vegetables are
> tender. Set aside.
>
> Melt margarine in a 5-quart pot. Add garlic and saute on medium heat
> for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook on low heat for 5 minutes,
> stirring constantly. Whisk in broth, salt and peppers. Heat to a low
> boil on medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened,
> stirring constantly. Stir in milk and cream. Simmer for 3 minutes
> Add peas, parsley, potatoes, vegetables and chicken to broth. *Season
> with salt and pepper and cook until heated through. Place a buttermilk
> biscuit in a soup bowl ladle stew over biscuit
>

> * Don't know if this is additional salt and pepper or a typo as the
> salt and peppers were added with the broth. It was in the directions
> so I copied as is.
>
> Contributor: Souplantation
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.69 **
>
> Koko
> --

Your ratio of butter, margarine, or oil to flour by volume is 1.33, or far
greater than it needs to be to make roux. Most roux recipes use a 1:1 ratio.
I use
..75:1 ratio of olive oil to flour when I make it on top of the stove.
Recently I started making white roux in the microwave. It's extremely easy
and saves time and a mess. You can make a bechamel sauce or a voloute sauce
in the microwave without it ever hitting the stovetop.
I would cook the garlic in the oil in the microwave, add the flour to make
the roux and then proceed with your dish on top of the stove. I would make
this dish slightly thicker with a bit less liquid, cover it with puff pastry
in a souffle dish, and bake it in the oven for a pot pie. I may try that.

Cheers,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> On Feb 28, 3:37 pm, Koko > wrote:
> > mmm
> > looks good for a cold snowy day.
> >
> > According to the article in the paper there are long lines in their
> > restaurants for this stew. [snip recipe]

> As usual with restaurant recipes the home cook can improve it with a
> few changes that are not practical for commerce. First, use both dark
> and white meat chicken. Second, add a splash of sherry or white wine
> at the end of the veggie sauteeing process. Finally, you can tweak
> the seasonings to personal taste. I would add a pinch or two of
> rubbed sage and a tiny bit of nutmeg, but your taste preferences may
> differ. -aem

I'm curious. Why are any of your suggested amendments not practical for
a commercial restaurant? Other than the personal taste part, why could
not a restaurant do the same?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog updated 3-1-07, Gumbo!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 07:52:29 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>In article .com>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 28, 3:37 pm, Koko > wrote:
>> > mmm
>> > looks good for a cold snowy day.
>> >
>> > According to the article in the paper there are long lines in their
>> > restaurants for this stew. [snip recipe]

>> As usual with restaurant recipes the home cook can improve it with a
>> few changes that are not practical for commerce. First, use both dark
>> and white meat chicken. Second, add a splash of sherry or white wine
>> at the end of the veggie sauteeing process. Finally, you can tweak
>> the seasonings to personal taste. I would add a pinch or two of
>> rubbed sage and a tiny bit of nutmeg, but your taste preferences may
>> differ. -aem

>I'm curious. Why are any of your suggested amendments not practical for
>a commercial restaurant? Other than the personal taste part, why could
>not a restaurant do the same?

I have no practical experience, Barb, but I'm guessing that cost would
be the main factor. I can afford to make a dish at home with more
expensive ingredients b/c I'm not looking to make a profit.

Terry Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Chicken stew Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 291 21-05-2016 02:54 AM
Chipotle-Chicken Stew [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2006 04:10 PM
Chicken Stew Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:53 PM
Stew Chicken vs Regular Chicken mary General Cooking 1 07-12-2004 06:04 PM
chicken stew Michael Snow General Cooking 18 19-04-2004 12:12 AM