Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:04 pm, "levelwave" > wrote:

> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>
> ~john

some people store their opened ketchup in the cupboard

some restaurants leave ketchup on the table all day

I guess it's ok...

open the lid and see what it smells like
if it smells "funny" don't chance it.

it's not "if" the sauce goes bad.. it probably won't, but the sauce
could be a host for other goims. Like Dick, I mean Peter says...
something might have drifted over in it...that might leave you on the
toilet all night cramping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>
> ~john

I've done that at least 100 times and it's been fine.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 3:04 pm, "levelwave" > wrote:
> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>
> ~john

Was there any meat in it? That could have a different result as
oppossed to a Marinara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:28 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:

> I've done that at least 100 times and it's been fine.
>
> kili

I think it becomes more acidic in times like those, the sauce I mean

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:04?pm, "levelwave" > wrote:
> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

Oh, just reheat, it'll be even better then had you ate it right away.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Feb 2007 15:04:24 -0800, "levelwave" >
wrote:

>I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
>tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
>the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
>hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
>I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
>boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it was a meatfree sauce it should be fine. Tomato's very acidic and
acid helps to retard germ growth - there's a reason why you don't need
to refrigerate vinegar! But if it was a bolegnaise I'd say all bets
are off...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>. If I
>boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

Would you boil a bottle of ketchup if you left it out overnight?

The acidity of tomatoes will be a preservative.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 7:50?pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2007 15:04:24 -0800, "levelwave" >
> wrote:
>
> >I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> >tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> >the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> >hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> >I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> >boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

> If it was a meatfree sauce it should be fine. Tomato's very acidic and
> acid helps to retard germ growth - there's a reason why you don't need
> to refrigerate vinegar! But if it was a bolegnaise I'd say all bets
> are off...

Nah... were it simmered a good long time and no one lifted the lid it
will be safer than were the lid lifted, stired about to serve, poured
into another container, and then refrigerated after maybe an hour or
two. Next morning my bet is on the pot left undisturbed on the
stove. And to be really super safe for yoose paranoidals if you're
not going to use it right away then freeze it immediately... or if
it's for that evening's dinner reheat to a simmer and place the
undisturbed pot directly into the fridge to await another evening
reheat. With today's modern fridges there's no harm whatsover in
placing a hot pot in... only advice is if you have glass shelves is to
place the pot on a trivet to allow better air circulation. The
inclusion of meat makes the sauce no less safe... left undisturbed
it's as safe for 24 hours as if it were canned.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:

> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it had no meat in it, no problem.

If it had meat in it, then you need to work out
the value equation:

value of sauce > probability of killing you x value of your life

Let's say the sauce is worth $10, the probability of it
killing you is 1%, and the value of your life is $100,000.

$10 > 0.01 x $100,000
$10 > $1000

Whoa! That's not right! It's off by a
a factor of 100. Even if we reduce the risk
to 0.1% and devalue your life to $20,000,
eating the sauce does not satisfy the value
equation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> "levelwave" wrote:
>
> > If I boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

> Would you boil a bottle of ketchup if you left it out overnight? The acidity of tomatoes will be a preservative. *

C'mon, it ain't the same thing... ketchup is a condiment that's at
least 10 times more acerbic (and far saltier, and drier) than typical
pasta sauce, ketchup is essentially preserved tomatoes... but now we
know how you sauce your ****ghetiOs.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> Complete claptrap. What part of "sterile" do you not understand?

It's not sterile. As the pot cooled, the contraction
of the air inside the pot would have drawn in
unsterilized room air containing bacterial spores.

I used to prepare Petri dishes in my kitchen
using a pressure cooker, and I know how difficult
it is to prevent contamination. One of the lessons
I had to learn was to prevent unsterilized air
from entering the Petri dishes while they
were cooling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorazine wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>
> > Complete claptrap. What part of "sterile" do you not understand?

> It's not sterile. *As the pot cooled, the contraction
> of the air inside the pot would have drawn in
> unsterilized room air containing bacterial spores.

Boiling at average atmospheric pressure (~212deg. F.) does not
sterilize anyway, but certainly reduces bacteria enough to make sauce
food safe for at least 24 hours, probably a lot longer... undisturbed
the sauce in question will be fine for two days... nothing, absolutely
nothing we eat is sterile. What's truly sterile around here is
Thorazine's pea brain.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"levelwave" > wrote:

> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>
> ~john

It's acidic enough, I would not worry about it...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 5:15 pm, Peter A > wrote:

> Perfectly fine. When you cooked it, any bacteria in it were killed.
> Being covered all night, no nasties that may have been floating around
> could have gotten in.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Thanks everyone... If you don't hear back from me in the next month or
so you'll know I was ill advised :P

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Peter A wrote:
> >
> > > Complete claptrap. What part of "sterile" do you not understand?

> > It's not sterile. As the pot cooled, the contraction
> > of the air inside the pot would have drawn in
> > unsterilized room air containing bacterial spores.

> Boiling at average atmospheric pressure (~212deg. F.) does not
> sterilize anyway, but certainly reduces bacteria enough to make sauce
> food safe for at least 24 hours, probably a lot longer... undisturbed
> the sauce in question will be fine for two days... nothing, absolutely
> nothing we eat is sterile. What's truly sterile around here is
> Thorazine's pea brain.

We can't say that in every kitchen that every pot of
tomato sauce would be safe under those conditions.
Maybe the number of fatal pots would be small, but
it won't be zero. How safe would it have to be
to satisfy the value equation?

If even one pot out of a thousand were bad, and
the value of one's life were a paltry $20,000,
it flunks the value equation.

I consider my life worth much more than $1,000,000
and I'd want to beat the value equation by at least
a safety margin of 10. Under those conditions,
your not beating the value equation even if
only 1 out of 100,000 pots of sauce is a killer.

I don't think anyone can make a reasonable argument
that the risk is that low. It may be low, but it's
not that low. Certainly, it flunks my value equation.

However, if I replace the value of my life with the
value of yours (and forget about the safety margin),
the equation is satisfied. Go right ahead and eat it.
Have seconds. Enjoy! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
> On Feb 28, 5:15 pm, Peter A > wrote:
>
>> Perfectly fine. When you cooked it, any bacteria in it were killed.
>> Being covered all night, no nasties that may have been floating
>> around could have gotten in.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken

> Thanks everyone... If you don't hear back from me in the next month or
> so you'll know I was ill advised :P
>
> ~john

That would be crappy ;-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"levelwave" > wrote:

> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>
> ~john

Probably.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> I consider my life worth much more than $1,000,000

Well of course you would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "levelwave" > wrote:
>
> > I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> > tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> > the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> > hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> > I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> > boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

> Probably.

And that probability would be . . . 1 in 1000? 1 in 100,000?

Aye, there's the rub.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 10:17 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> However, if I replace the value of my life with the
> value of yours (and forget about the safety margin),
> the equation is satisfied. Go right ahead and eat it.
> Have seconds. Enjoy! :-)

My people used to tease me, "We'd like to buy you for what you're
really worth, and sell you for what you think you're worth"

Barry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
>tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
>the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
>hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
>I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
>boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>
>~john

Check in tomorrow with us tomorrow. If you can do it, you're fine.
If you can't - who should we notify?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2007 15:04:24 -0800, "levelwave" >
> wrote:
>
>> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
>> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
>> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
>> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
>> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
>> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>>
>> ~john

> Check in tomorrow with us tomorrow. If you can do it, you're fine.
> If you can't - who should we notify?

ROFL!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On 28 Feb 2007 15:04:24 -0800, "levelwave" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
>>> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
>>> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
>>> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
>>> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
>>> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?
>>>
>>> ~john

>> Check in tomorrow with us tomorrow. If you can do it, you're fine.
>> If you can't - who should we notify?

> ROFL!!!!!!!

Have done this myself (more than once) and we are all still alive and kicking

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> Check in tomorrow with us tomorrow. If you can do it, you're fine.
>>> If you can't - who should we notify?

>> ROFL!!!!!!!

> Have done this myself (more than once) and we are all still alive and
> kicking

I agree. The food safety police have everyone crazed these days. Bring it to
a good long simmer and don't worry about it. And I wouldn't worry about
meat, either, unless the meat was not fully cooked in the sauce, which
sounds unlikely.

If you were a restaurant, it would be a different story, but you're not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Puistonen wrote:

> > Have done this myself (more than once) and we are all still alive and
> > kicking

> I agree. The food safety police have everyone crazed these days. Bring it to
> a good long simmer and don't worry about it. And I wouldn't worry about
> meat, either, unless the meat was not fully cooked in the sauce, which
> sounds unlikely.
>
> If you were a restaurant, it would be a different story, but you're not.

My wife has a cast iron stomach. She will eat things that have been left
out or left in the fridge past the point where I think they were still
safe. I had one good dose of food poisoning and I don't ever want a repeat
of that experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Feb 2007 19:14:56 -0800, "levelwave" >
wrote:

>On Feb 28, 5:15 pm, Peter A > wrote:
>
>> Perfectly fine. When you cooked it, any bacteria in it were killed.
>> Being covered all night, no nasties that may have been floating around
>> could have gotten in.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken

>Thanks everyone... If you don't hear back from me in the next month or
>so you'll know I was ill advised :P
>
>~john

as long as you didn't overcook your pasta, you'll be remembered
fondly.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:38:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> In article .com>,
>> "levelwave" > wrote:
>>
>> > I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
>> > tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
>> > the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
>> > hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
>> > I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
>> > boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

>> Probably.

>And that probability would be . . . 1 in 1000? 1 in 100,000?
>
>Aye, there's the rub.

christ, do you want to live forever? what do you wear when you leave
the house? there are meteorites everywhere.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> christ, do you want to live forever? what do you wear when you leave
> the house? there are meteorites everywhere.

I know of only one person being hit by a meteor,
and she lived. The risk of death appears to be
much less than one in a billion per century.

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/...54_116289.html

What's the risk of death from food poisoning?
About 1 in 60,000 per year.

Quoting from
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Guidance/Guide122.htm

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
has estimated that known food borne pathogens
account for 14 million illnesses, 60,000
hospitalizations and 1,800 deaths to humans
in the United States each year. Total food borne
illness from both known and unknown pathogens is
likely to be responsible for 76 million cases,
325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths
annually."

How does that compare with something everybody
knows is dangerous, like driving?

Quoting from

"'Here we are losing 43,000 people,' Mr. Mineta
said. 'If we had that many people die in aviation
accidents, we wouldn't have an airplane flying.
People wouldn't put up with it. They ought not
to put up with 43,000 uncles, aunts, mothers,
dads, brothers and friends whose lives are
snuffed out by traffic accidents.'

Food borne illness is about 9 times less likely
to kill you than driving, but driving is the
most dangerous thing most people do. For many
people, unsafe food handling is the second
most dangerous thing they do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:38:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:

>> And that probability would be . . . 1 in 1000? 1 in 100,000?
>>
>> Aye, there's the rub.

> christ, do you want to live forever? what do you wear when you leave
> the house? there are meteorites everywhere.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Mark has his tinfoil hat, so no worries there, blake....

OBFood: Gonna have these at the weekend....

Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

1 cup unsalted butter (8 oz)
4 ozs unsweetened baking chocolate
2 cups granulated sugar (15 oz)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup chopped nuts, optional (walnuts or pecans)
1 1/3 cups cake flour (6 oz)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

In microwave oven, on medium-high power, melt butter and chocolate in
2-quart microwave-safe bowl, about 3 minutes. Stir until smooth. Mix in
granulated sugar, then beat in eggs, one at a time, with wire whisk. Mix
in vanilla and almond. Stir in nuts. Combine cake flour, baking powder,
and salt and fold into chocolate. Spread batter in 9x13" pan lined with
baking parchment and bake in preheated oven at 350°F for about 33-35
minutes. Do not overbake; toothpick may have fudgy crumbs on it, but not
wet batter.

Notes: First Place, Plain Brownies, 1997 Minnesota State Fair. Adapted
from recipe in Cook's Illustrated magazine, March/April 1994. Please
note that I do use real chocolate, unsalted butter and cake flour. If
you do not, don't complain to me about it. And I don't believe the
nutritional analysis at the bottom of this page!

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 197 Calories; 12g Fat (51%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 58mg Cholesterol; 72mg
Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 1:58 am, sf wrote:

> Check in tomorrow with us tomorrow. If you can do it, you're fine.
> If you can't - who should we notify?

I've been munchin' on it for 2 days now and haven't killed over yet.
Looks like we're in the clear...

~john

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Mar 2007 17:04:27 -0800, "levelwave" >
wrote:

>On Mar 1, 1:58 am, sf wrote:
>
>> Check in tomorrow with us tomorrow. If you can do it, you're fine.
>> If you can't - who should we notify?

>I've been munchin' on it for 2 days now and haven't killed over yet.
>Looks like we're in the clear...

Wheew!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:26:32 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> christ, do you want to live forever? what do you wear when you leave
>> the house? there are meteorites everywhere.

>I know of only one person being hit by a meteor,
>and she lived. The risk of death appears to be
>much less than one in a billion per century.
>
>http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/...54_116289.html
>
>What's the risk of death from food poisoning?
>About 1 in 60,000 per year.
>
>Quoting from
>http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Guidance/Guide122.htm
>
>"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
>has estimated that known food borne pathogens
>account for 14 million illnesses, 60,000
>hospitalizations and 1,800 deaths to humans
>in the United States each year. Total food borne
>illness from both known and unknown pathogens is
>likely to be responsible for 76 million cases,
>325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths
>annually."

i'd be willing to bet that a very small percentage of those deaths
occurred because of unsafe practices in home kitchens. yes, some
people will insist on infusing garlic in oil, but i bet few of them
get botulism. some foolhardy persons will cut up vegetables after
using the boards for chickens. oh noes!!! but the bodies aren't
exactly piling up in the streets.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 5:04 pm, "levelwave" > wrote:
> I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
> tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
> the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
> hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
> I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
> boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

Should be fine - tomatoes have lots of acid. I hope it wasn't in a
reactive pan, though. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:41:05 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>My wife has a cast iron stomach.

I used to have one of those too.... but
<singing>
Oh, the times, they are a-changin'

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ketchup has a ton of sugar and other preservatives. Not comparable to tomato sauce.