Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

~john

Old 01-03-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:04 pm, "levelwave" wrote:

boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

~john

some people store their opened ketchup in the cupboard

some restaurants leave ketchup on the table all day

I guess it's ok...

open the lid and see what it smells like
if it smells "funny" don't chance it.

it's not "if" the sauce goes bad.. it probably won't, but the sauce
could be a host for other goims. Like Dick, I mean Peter says...
something might have drifted over in it...that might leave you on the
toilet all night cramping.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:
I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

~john

I've done that at least 100 times and it's been fine.

kili

Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 3:04 pm, "levelwave" wrote:
I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

~john

Was there any meat in it? That could have a different result as
oppossed to a Marinara

Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:28 pm, "kilikini" wrote:

I've done that at least 100 times and it's been fine.

kili

I think it becomes more acidic in times like those, the sauce I mean

Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:04?pm, "levelwave" wrote:
I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

Oh, just reheat, it'll be even better then had you ate it right away.

Sheldon

Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Feb 2007 15:04:24 -0800, "levelwave"
wrote:

I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it was a meatfree sauce it should be fine. Tomato's very acidic and
acid helps to retard germ growth - there's a reason why you don't need
to refrigerate vinegar! But if it was a bolegnaise I'd say all bets
are off...
Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

Would you boil a bottle of ketchup if you left it out overnight?

The acidity of tomatoes will be a preservative.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it was a meatfree sauce it should be fine. Tomato's very acidic and
acid helps to retard germ growth - there's a reason why you don't need
to refrigerate vinegar! But if it was a bolegnaise I'd say all bets
are off...

Nah... were it simmered a good long time and no one lifted the lid it
will be safer than were the lid lifted, stired about to serve, poured
into another container, and then refrigerated after maybe an hour or
two. Next morning my bet is on the pot left undisturbed on the
stove. And to be really super safe for yoose paranoidals if you're
not going to use it right away then freeze it immediately... or if
it's for that evening's dinner reheat to a simmer and place the
undisturbed pot directly into the fridge to await another evening
reheat. With today's modern fridges there's no harm whatsover in
placing a hot pot in... only advice is if you have glass shelves is to
place the pot on a trivet to allow better air circulation. The
inclusion of meat makes the sauce no less safe... left undisturbed
it's as safe for 24 hours as if it were canned.

Sheldon

Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

levelwave wrote:

I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it had no meat in it, no problem.

If it had meat in it, then you need to work out
the value equation:

value of sauce probability of killing you x value of your life

Let's say the sauce is worth $10, the probability of it
killing you is 1%, and the value of your life is $100,000.

$10 0.01 x $100,000
$10 $1000

Whoa! That's not right! It's off by a
a factor of 100. Even if we reduce the risk
to 0.1% and devalue your life to $20,000,
eating the sauce does not satisfy the value
equation.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
"levelwave" wrote:

If I boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

Would you boil a bottle of ketchup if you left it out overnight? The acidity of tomatoes will be a preservative. *

C'mon, it ain't the same thing... ketchup is a condiment that's at
least 10 times more acerbic (and far saltier, and drier) than typical
pasta sauce, ketchup is essentially preserved tomatoes... but now we
know how you sauce your ****ghetiOs.

Sheldon

Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

Complete claptrap. What part of "sterile" do you not understand?

It's not sterile. As the pot cooled, the contraction
of the air inside the pot would have drawn in
unsterilized room air containing bacterial spores.

I used to prepare Petri dishes in my kitchen
using a pressure cooker, and I know how difficult
it is to prevent contamination. One of the lessons
I had to learn was to prevent unsterilized air
from entering the Petri dishes while they
were cooling.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorazine wrote:
Peter A wrote:

Complete claptrap. What part of "sterile" do you not understand?

It's not sterile. *As the pot cooled, the contraction
of the air inside the pot would have drawn in
unsterilized room air containing bacterial spores.

Boiling at average atmospheric pressure (~212deg. F.) does not
sterilize anyway, but certainly reduces bacteria enough to make sauce
food safe for at least 24 hours, probably a lot longer... undisturbed
the sauce in question will be fine for two days... nothing, absolutely
nothing we eat is sterile. What's truly sterile around here is
Thorazine's pea brain.

Sheldon