Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The great Costco pastrami scare

Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.

However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
It was very convenient for me to stock up there.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 25 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.
>
> However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
> I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
> It was very convenient for me to stock up there.
>
> nancy

Up here some stuff is seasonal...perhaps it'll be months before you see
seltzer again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 25 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

>> However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
>> I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
>> It was very convenient for me to stock up there.

> Up here some stuff is seasonal...perhaps it'll be months before you see
> seltzer again.

Darn, I hope not. I got used to that very quickly, even though it
was a pain dragging home all that weight. Still, if I have to go back
to buying it in cans, guess that will have to do.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.

I love good pastrami! It's hard to come by ... There is a place in
Culver City, CA called "Johnnie's Pastrami." It's been there for fifty
years I bet. The way they prepare and serve their sandwiches I have
never been able to duplicate. My mother use to beg them to tell her
where they purchased their meat from, since we had moved to Oklahoma,
but of course they wouldn't say. They are also well known for their
kosher pickles.

Whenever a friend or family member is in the vicinity of Johnnie's
they will pick up a big jar of the pickles to bring back. Since I soon
will be moving to California, maybe Bob and I on our drive to southern
CA can stop by there and get pickles for my mom ... perhaps put some
pastrami on dry ice and ship it to her.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

> I love good pastrami! It's hard to come by ... There is a place
> in Culver City, CA called "Johnnie's Pastrami." It's been there
> for fifty years I bet. The way they prepare and serve their
> sandwiches I have never been able to duplicate. My mother use
> to beg them to tell her where they purchased their meat from,
> since we had moved to Oklahoma, but of course they wouldn't say.
> They are also well known for their kosher pickles.

A few years ago, I watched a show on TV in which
a large manufacturer of pastrami was visited.
A big part of the segment was the father (old
Jewish guy) arguing with the son about the
amount of fat to include in the product.
The father was making the case that the fat
is the best part (he called it "deco fat"),
but the son was making the case that the market
wanted a lower-fat product.

I side with the father, that in a first-class
pastrami product the fat makes a major contribution
to flavor. But I have to admit that the son
was correct that for purely business reasons
trimming more of the fat may increase customer
demand for the product, hence may be more
profitable. Alas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote on 25 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

>>> However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
>>> I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
>>> It was very convenient for me to stock up there.

>> Up here some stuff is seasonal...perhaps it'll be months before you see
>> seltzer again.

I've been trying to buy a few cases of Safeway seltzer in cans for three
weeks now and they are always out. I want to get 3 or 4 cases as I drink 4
or more cans a day.

The shelfs are empty in the three stores I've gone to. I've even asked
them to check in the back, but they say they'll have to special order me a
few cases. What is this?

In the meantime, I noticed that the club soda onlt has 35 mg of sodium in a
12 ounce can, so I've been using that.

What's with seltzer water anyway?

Ken in Walnut Creek, CA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kenkozak wrote:

> I've been trying to buy a few cases of Safeway seltzer
> in cans for three weeks now and they are always out.
> I want to get 3 or 4 cases as I drink 4 or more cans a day.

With that level of consumption, maybe you should consider
buying your own carbonation equipment.

This was discussed two years ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...7bd26f8bd66929
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kenkozak" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> I've been trying to buy a few cases of Safeway seltzer in cans for three
> weeks now and they are always out. I want to get 3 or 4 cases as I drink
> 4 or more cans a day.
>
> The shelfs are empty in the three stores I've gone to. I've even asked
> them to check in the back, but they say they'll have to special order me a
> few cases. What is this?

I don't know. The supply problem at the supermarkets was the reason I
started buying the cases of bottles at Costco. They would always run out
of the 12 packs of plain seltzer cans at the store ... the lemon/lime
flavor,
they would have so many cases they were stacked out into the aisle, often.
Never seemed to occur to them, order less lemon lime, more plain.

It's a hassle running around to different supermarkets, who has seltzer this
week?

At any rate, once I got used to dealing with the bottles, getting it from
Costco was a no brainer ... $4.69 a 12 pack of 34 ounce bottles. I
can't make seltzer for that money.

> In the meantime, I noticed that the club soda onlt has 35 mg of sodium in
> a 12 ounce can, so I've been using that.
>
> What's with seltzer water anyway?

Got me. Obviously it's not just us two drinking seltzer. I don't
know why it's hard to find.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Mark Thorson wrote:

> A few years ago, I watched a show on TV in which
> a large manufacturer of pastrami was visited.
> A big part of the segment was the father (old
> Jewish guy) arguing with the son about the
> amount of fat to include in the product.
> The father was making the case that the fat
> is the best part (he called it "deco fat"),
> but the son was making the case that the market
> wanted a lower-fat product.

Yes, Johnnie's serves that fatty-style pastrami. I think I saw one
review of it as "heart attack on a roll."

> I side with the father, that in a first-class
> pastrami product the fat makes a major contribution
> to flavor. But I have to admit that the son
> was correct that for purely business reasons
> trimming more of the fat may increase customer
> demand for the product, hence may be more
> profitable. Alas.

"May" is the operative word here. The possibility exists that they
would get more revenue, but the cost of sales would be higher as they
would be having to toss part of the product. I suppose they would have
to add more salt or other seasonings to get the taste up to snuff or
make it more tender.

Sigh. Lean just doesn't taste the same.

--Lin (now I am craving that "heart attack on a roll")

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Feb 2007 19:57:31 -0800, "Lin" >
wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
>> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
>> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.

>I love good pastrami! It's hard to come by ... Since I soon
>will be moving to California, maybe Bob and I on our drive to southern
>CA can stop by there and get pickles for my mom ... perhaps put some
>pastrami on dry ice and ship it to her.
>
>--Lin

The place to get pastrami in L.A.is Langers. It is considered to be
some of the best.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 25 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Got me. Obviously it's not just us two drinking seltzer. I don't
> know why it's hard to find.
>
> nancy

Maybe Vaudville is making a come back?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> The place to get pastrami in L.A.is Langers. It is considered to be
> some of the best.

I've read that before. For my family, I think Johnnie's is more of a
nostalgic thing.

Thanks for the recommendation -- perhaps I can give it a try sometime.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 25 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Got me. Obviously it's not just us two drinking seltzer. I don't
>> know why it's hard to find.

> Maybe Vaudville is making a come back?

(laugh) That's funny ... maybe you're feeling better these days?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.
>
> However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
> I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
> It was very convenient for me to stock up there.
>
> nancy

Oh my goodness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 26 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote on 25 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> Got me. Obviously it's not just us two drinking seltzer. I don't
> >> know why it's hard to find.

> > Maybe Vaudville is making a come back?

> (laugh) That's funny ... maybe you're feeling better these days?
>
> nancy

prtty good except one eye keeps weeping...driving me nutz,,,worried I've
got Ebolo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.

I like pastrami sometimes. We went to Quiznos for lunch (me, my wife
and oldest son). My son had a double pastrami. It looked pretty good.
Maybe I'll try that next time. But a small, and a single.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kenkozak" > wrote:

> In the meantime, I noticed that the club soda onlt has 35 mg of sodium in a
> 12 ounce can, so I've been using that.
>
> What's with seltzer water anyway?

I use them interchangeably. The only ingredient for both is carbonated
water. There is no sodium added. Why the club soda has more sodium is
baffling. Either they use different water, or it is just a measurement
error. In any case, 35mg is trivial. I can't taste any difference
between the two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "kenkozak" > wrote

> > I've been trying to buy a few cases of Safeway seltzer in cans

> I don't know. The supply problem at the supermarkets was the reason I
> started buying the cases of bottles at Costco. They would always run out
> of the 12 packs of plain seltzer cans at the store ... the lemon/lime
> flavor,
> they would have so many cases they were stacked out into the aisle, often.
> Never seemed to occur to them, order less lemon lime, more plain.

I like the flavored seltzer water sometimes. They don't carry it here.
When I visit the relatives, I get some and bring it home.

Note that Safeway has changed the design of the cans. They are now
light blue. I have three cases.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> kenkozak wrote:
> >
> > I've been trying to buy a few cases of Safeway seltzer
> > in cans for three weeks now and they are always out.
> > I want to get 3 or 4 cases as I drink 4 or more cans a day.

> With that level of consumption, maybe you should consider
> buying your own carbonation equipment.
>
> This was discussed two years ago:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...read/5be2f7486
> 3bff3a6/ba7bd26f8bd66929

Hard to compete with Safeway. For literally years, this stuff was on
sale every single day. Buy one case, get one free, or two twelve packs
for US$5.00. Even now, it's about US$1.50 for a six pack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.
>
> However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
> I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
> It was very convenient for me to stock up there.
>
> nancy

I'll tell ya Nancy, that's one thing that always drives me nuts about Costco...once
you find something you *really* like, and would make a trip there for
specifically...you never know if they'll ever have it again!

My mom and I were walking through one afternoon, and I wish I had had a video
recorder with me to get some footage of the woman who was doing a demo of "Theresa's
Cinnamon Swirl Bread". It was SO hilarious. She reminded me of the radio commercials
of yesteryear. Or a carnival barker. Not sure which. ;-)
"It's Theresa's Cinnamon Swirl Breaaaaaad! It's just good good GOOD. Come and try
some, Come and buy some....."

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nexis" > wrote:

> My mom and I were walking through one afternoon, and I wish I had had a video
> recorder with me to get some footage of the woman who was doing a demo of
> "Theresa's
> Cinnamon Swirl Bread". It was SO hilarious. She reminded me of the radio
> commercials
> of yesteryear. Or a carnival barker. Not sure which. ;-)
> "It's Theresa's Cinnamon Swirl Breaaaaaad! It's just good good GOOD. Come and
> try
> some, Come and buy some....."

As far as I know (and Karen can chime in here, since she used to do
this), these people don't even work for Costco. It's contracted out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:09:07 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Nexis" > wrote:
>

>> My mom and I were walking through one afternoon, and I wish I had had a video
>> recorder with me to get some footage of the woman who was doing a demo of
>> "Theresa's
>> Cinnamon Swirl Bread". It was SO hilarious. She reminded me of the radio
>> commercials
>> of yesteryear. Or a carnival barker. Not sure which. ;-)
>> "It's Theresa's Cinnamon Swirl Breaaaaaad! It's just good good GOOD. Come and
>> try
>> some, Come and buy some....."

>As far as I know (and Karen can chime in here, since she used to do
>this), these people don't even work for Costco. It's contracted out.

The demo folks aren't employees of Costco, Dan's right, it's
contracted out. I believe here in Sac, at least, it's a company
called Warehouse Demo Services.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Whew, when I went there today, I saw they had restocked the
>> Carnegie Deli pastrami at Costco, that made me happy, and
>> maybe there is hope for others here looking for it.
>>
>> However, they had no Vintage seltzer. At all. That's what
>> I drove over there for. I hope that's a temporary situation.
>> It was very convenient for me to stock up there.

> I'll tell ya Nancy, that's one thing that always drives me nuts about
> Costco...once you find something you *really* like, and would make a trip
> there for specifically...you never know if they'll ever have it again!

I hear ya. I know, there would be no room for new or different products
if they carried everything forever. Still, I hate that I get hooked on
something then it's gone.

The good news that I know all of you have been waiting for
is that I went to a different Costco and they had the seltzer.
I got 8. The cashier and 'bagger' wanted to know what I
did with the stuff.

> My mom and I were walking through one afternoon, and I wish I had had a
> video recorder with me to get some footage of the woman who was doing a
> demo of "Theresa's Cinnamon Swirl Bread". It was SO hilarious. She
> reminded me of the radio commercials of yesteryear. Or a carnival barker.
> Not sure which. ;-)
> "It's Theresa's Cinnamon Swirl Breaaaaaad! It's just good good GOOD. Come
> and try some, Come and buy some....."

That's a riot. Good for a laugh, even if you don't buy Theresa's Cinnamon
Swirl Breeaaaad! Heh.

nancy