Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Portabello report

After all the good suggestions, I did the following....sauteed sliced
portabellos and chopped onion in lots of butter. Made some polenta
(also my first time to make this) in chicken stock (actually Knorr
bouillon powder) and added the mushroom/onion/butter mixture. It was
tasty but to stiff. I guess I used too little broth or too much corn
meal. I have lots left to reheat tomorrow. I think I'll add some more
broth to loosen it up a bit and maybe add some parmesan for creaminess.
......Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:46:03 -0500, biig > wrote:

> After all the good suggestions, I did the following....sauteed sliced
>portabellos and chopped onion in lots of butter. Made some polenta
>(also my first time to make this) in chicken stock (actually Knorr
>bouillon powder) and added the mushroom/onion/butter mixture. It was
>tasty but to stiff. I guess I used too little broth or too much corn
>meal. I have lots left to reheat tomorrow. I think I'll add some more
>broth to loosen it up a bit and maybe add some parmesan for creaminess.
>.....Sharon

Sharon,
Just slice up the polenta and fry it off in olive oil with a little
butter, then grate some parmesan cheese on top, or actually, any
cheese you like.

I don't know if adding broth to it now that it's cooled will work, let
me know if it does. I think if you prefer it creamier the adjustment
should be made before it cools not after.

I make polenta frequently and it's not creamy like risotto, it sets up
firm. When it's finished cooking I spread it out on a buttered cutting
board, then slice and serve.

http://i15.tinypic.com/2hqf7nd.jpg

Sounds like it was delicious, great job.

Koko

--
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:46:03 -0500, biig > wrote:
>

> > After all the good suggestions, I did the following....sauteed sliced
> >portabellos and chopped onion in lots of butter. Made some polenta
> >(also my first time to make this) in chicken stock (actually Knorr
> >bouillon powder) and added the mushroom/onion/butter mixture. It was
> >tasty but to stiff. I guess I used too little broth or too much corn
> >meal. I have lots left to reheat tomorrow. I think I'll add some more
> >broth to loosen it up a bit and maybe add some parmesan for creaminess.
> >.....Sharon

> Sharon,
> Just slice up the polenta and fry it off in olive oil with a little
> butter, then grate some parmesan cheese on top, or actually, any
> cheese you like.
>
> I don't know if adding broth to it now that it's cooled will work, let
> me know if it does. I think if you prefer it creamier the adjustment
> should be made before it cools not after.
>
> I make polenta frequently and it's not creamy like risotto, it sets up
> firm. When it's finished cooking I spread it out on a buttered cutting
> board, then slice and serve.
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/2hqf7nd.jpg
>
> Sounds like it was delicious, great job.
>
> Koko

Thanks Koko..it was good. I'll try your method and also try to
soften up a small sample with broth. I'll let you know if it
works. ...Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 3:46 pm, biig > wrote:
> After all the good suggestions, I did the following....sauteed sliced
> portabellos and chopped onion in lots of butter. Made some polenta
> (also my first time to make this) in chicken stock (actually Knorr
> bouillon powder) and added the mushroom/onion/butter mixture. It was
> tasty but to stiff. I guess I used too little broth or too much corn
> meal. I have lots left to reheat tomorrow. I think I'll add some more
> broth to loosen it up a bit and maybe add some parmesan for creaminess.
> .....Sharon

Also, it's delicious for breakfast- slice, fry in a little butter, and
serve with maple syrup (and bacon)