chicken divan and...?

Old 25-02-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chicken divan and...?

What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?
I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

thanks.

Old 25-02-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?
I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

thanks.

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

kili

Old 25-02-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:14:09 -0500, "kilikini"
wrote:

val189 wrote:
What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?
I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

thanks.

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

I thought chicken divan *was* chicken, broccoli and a sauce.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 25-02-2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:

What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?
I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

thanks.

Baked cheese grits, simple or dressed-up with green onions, mushrooms,
bacon, peppers, etc.

Sky
Old 25-02-2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:

What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?
I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

Hmm... where are you located? My recommendation varies depending on whether
it's winter or summer where you a

WINTER: If you're in the northern hemisphere, you might have a problem
finding full-flavored tomatoes this time of year. Try using grape tomatoes
or cherry tomatoes; they're probably the best you'll be able to find until
summer hits. To accompany chicken divan, serve roasted butternut squash
brushed with butter or walnut oil and sprinkled with toasted walnuts.

SUMMER: If you're in the southern hemisphere, then go ahead with the
tomato-onion salad; this is the best time of year for it. Accompany the
chicken divan with roasted yellow squash (or zucchini) with Parmesan.

Bob

Old 25-02-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?

Puff pastry shells.

I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

Yummy.

Serene
Old 25-02-2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

That would be redundunancy repeated.

Glazed carrots would be nice.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Carrots Amaretto

vegetables

1 lb carrots
3 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup Amaretto
1 salt and pepper, to taste

Parboil sliced carrots until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and
rinse
under cold water to stop cooking. Can be prepared 2 hours ahead of
time.

Heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add carrots, sugar and
heat to
caramelize sugar. Add Amaretto and cook to reduce sauce to a glaze.
Season
to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Old 25-02-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

I thought chicken divan *was* chicken, broccoli and a sauce.

Yes - that's why I'm looking for an idea for the 'starch'.
The cheese grits sound like a winner.

Old 25-02-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

I thought chicken divan *was* chicken, broccoli and a sauce.

Yes - that's why I'm looking for an idea for the 'starch'.
The cheese grits sound like a winner.

Rice is always a natural with chicken divan in my house.
Old 25-02-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

I thought chicken divan *was* chicken, broccoli and a sauce.

Yes - that's why I'm looking for an idea for the 'starch'.
The cheese grits sound like a winner.

I thought a tossed green salad was fine all it needed. If you want
more starch than what's in the recipe, serve it with rolls.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 26-02-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Broccoli seems like a no-brainer.

I thought chicken divan *was* chicken, broccoli and a sauce.

Yes - that's why I'm looking for an idea for the 'starch'.
The cheese grits sound like a winner.

My Chicken Divan has sliced waterchestnuts in it (dunno if that's
usual), which is kind of starchy. So I usually just serve it with
some bread and maybe a nice green salad. I haven't made that in
a while, good suggestion...

--
Jani in WA
Old 26-02-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 7:46 pm, "val189" wrote:
What would you serve with the Chicken divan?
Some version of potatoes, or can you suggest something more exciting?
I need a do-ahead meal I can have ready to pop in oven.
Also, for a side,how does a cold tomato-onion
salad drizzled with EVO and some basil sound?

I'd go with rice rather than potatoes alongside chicken divan.