Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Equi-flow dehydrators?

I only received 1 reply over on r.f.equipment, so I thought I'd take a
shot here...

I've recently acquired an equi-flow unit.... This is a square shaped
dehydrator with 10 shelves. It must be about 20 years old and it
appears the company is no longer in business.... It seems to have
some similarities with the excalibur.

I don't have any owners manuals or other documentaion on how to use
this dehydrator. My primary interest at the moment is making beef
jerky. Can anyone point me to online docs for this unit or give me
some tips on getting started wih it?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" wrote:
> I only received 1 reply over on r.f.equipment, so I thought I'd take a
> shot here...
>
> I've recently acquired an equi-flow unit.... *This is a square shaped
> dehydrator with 10 shelves. *It must be about 20 years old and it
> appears the company is no longer in business.... *It seems to have
> some similarities with the excalibur.
>
> I don't have any owners manuals or other documentaion on how to use
> this dehydrator. *My primary interest at the moment is making beef
> jerky. *Can anyone point me to online docs for this unit or give me
> some tips on getting started wih it?
>
> ..fred

Perhaps you can email the person who owns this web site:
http://mysisterskitchen.wordpress.co...or-the-winter/

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I only received 1 reply over on r.f.equipment, so I thought I'd take a
> shot here...
>
> I've recently acquired an equi-flow unit.... This is a square shaped
> dehydrator with 10 shelves. It must be about 20 years old and it
> appears the company is no longer in business.... It seems to have
> some similarities with the excalibur.
>
> I don't have any owners manuals or other documentaion on how to use
> this dehydrator. My primary interest at the moment is making beef
> jerky. Can anyone point me to online docs for this unit or give me
> some tips on getting started wih it?
>
> ..fred

The primary thing in using a dehydrator is allowing for humidity in your
geographic area at certain times of the year and humidity on the day you are
drying. Fresh herbs are usually dried at lower temperatures such as 95-110
deg, Veggies like bell peppers are dried at a higher temperature and get
leathery rather then brittle. Meats like jerky require an even higher
temperature, around 145 deg.
The excalibur website sells their books that can guide you as to what you
are drying and for how long and at what temperature. I assume your equi-flow
unit has a temperature guage?
I am not familiar with your unit, but the one thing that makes a dehydrator
work the best is 'air flow'. Does the unit have a fan in the back? Some
units have a fan only at the bottom and you stack the food racks 10 high, so
the air doesn't get to the top layers efficiently. So the bottom stuff dries
fine and the top stuff may get mushy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 4:49�am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> >I only received 1 reply over on r.f.equipment, so I thought I'd take a
> > shot here...

> > I've recently acquired an equi-flow unit.... *This is a square shaped
> > dehydrator with 10 shelves. *It must be about 20 years old and it
> > appears the company is no longer in business.... *It seems to have
> > some similarities with the excalibur.

> > I don't have any owners manuals or other documentaion on how to use
> > this dehydrator. *My primary interest at the moment is making beef
> > jerky. *Can anyone point me to online docs for this unit or give me
> > some tips on getting started wih it?

> > ..fred

Does it look anything like this? These (excaliburs) have been around
30 years easy. They were the bst of the day and in my opinion they
are still the best available. Perhaps yours is a knock off of them or
theirs with another brand name attached. Hope this helps.
http://www.rawgourmet.com/excalibur_dehydrator.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 25, 4:49?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> >I only received 1 reply over on r.f.equipment, so I thought I'd take a
> > shot here...

> > I've recently acquired an equi-flow unit.... This is a square shaped
> > dehydrator with 10 shelves. It must be about 20 years old and it
> > appears the company is no longer in business.... It seems to have
> > some similarities with the excalibur.

> > I don't have any owners manuals or other documentaion on how to use
> > this dehydrator. My primary interest at the moment is making beef
> > jerky. Can anyone point me to online docs for this unit or give me
> > some tips on getting started wih it?

> > ..fred

For <beef> jerky: assuming it is similar to the Excalibur, for a teriayki
type (meaning a rather liquid marinade) about 4 hours at 145deg. For a BBQ
marinade (meaning a thicker marinade) a longer time in the sauce and then
about 4 hours at 145deg.
Does the unit shut off by itself?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 4:32 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "pamjd" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> On Feb 25, 4:49?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
>

> > "kuvasz guy" > wrote in message

> ups.com...

> > >I only received 1 reply over on r.f.equipment, so I thought I'd take a
> > > shot here...

> > > I've recently acquired an equi-flow unit.... This is a square shaped
> > > dehydrator with 10 shelves. It must be about 20 years old and it
> > > appears the company is no longer in business.... It seems to have
> > > some similarities with the excalibur.

> > > I don't have any owners manuals or other documentaion on how to use
> > > this dehydrator. My primary interest at the moment is making beef
> > > jerky. Can anyone point me to online docs for this unit or give me
> > > some tips on getting started wih it?

> > > ..fred

> For <beef> jerky: assuming it is similar to the Excalibur, for a teriayki
> type (meaning a rather liquid marinade) about 4 hours at 145deg. For a BBQ
> marinade (meaning a thicker marinade) a longer time in the sauce and then
> about 4 hours at 145deg.
> Does the unit shut off by itself?- Hide quoted text -

The equi-flow has a continuous rotary dial with markings for off, low,
med, and high. The fan is on the back of the unit. I've got some
beef marinating now; I was going to set the dial at medium and keep an
eye on things....

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 25, 4:32 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
>> "pamjd" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>> On Feb 25, 4:49?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
>>

>> > "kuvasz guy" > wrote in message

>> ups.com...

>> For <beef> jerky: assuming it is similar to the Excalibur, for a teriayki
>> type (meaning a rather liquid marinade) about 4 hours at 145deg. For a
>> BBQ
>> marinade (meaning a thicker marinade) a longer time in the sauce and then
>> about 4 hours at 145deg.
>> Does the unit shut off by itself?- Hide quoted text -

> The equi-flow has a continuous rotary dial with markings for off, low,
> med, and high. The fan is on the back of the unit. I've got some
> beef marinating now; I was going to set the dial at medium and keep an
> eye on things....
>
> ..fred

Let us know how it comes out.