Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The power of thaw

I decided to make Damsel's mahogany wings and took out
a package of them from the freezer over the weekend. As
time went by I wondered ... were there enough in the package?

Last night, last possible moment, I decided, take out another
package. It's way behind in the thawing routine. So I put
it, still in the plastic, into a container of cold water. After a
couple of hours, put the wings back into the refrigerator.

Put the marinade on to simmer this morning and went about
separating the wing sections. Guess what was still pretty much
a block of ice. Hint: not the bag of wings I took out last night.

I have new respect for the water thaw method.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I decided to make Damsel's mahogany wings and took out
> a package of them from the freezer over the weekend. As
> time went by I wondered ... were there enough in the package?
>
> Last night, last possible moment, I decided, take out another
> package. It's way behind in the thawing routine. So I put
> it, still in the plastic, into a container of cold water. After a
> couple of hours, put the wings back into the refrigerator.
>
> Put the marinade on to simmer this morning and went about
> separating the wing sections. Guess what was still pretty much
> a block of ice. Hint: not the bag of wings I took out last night.
>
> I have new respect for the water thaw method.
>
> nancy

....helping nancy to her feet after her recent fall off the turnip truck.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...

>> I have new respect for the water thaw method.

> ...helping nancy to her feet after her recent fall off the turnip truck.

Gee, Andy, you're so sweet.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young said...

>>> I have new respect for the water thaw method.

>> ...helping nancy to her feet after her recent fall off the turnip truck.

> Gee, Andy, you're so sweet.
>
> nancy

I yam what I yam.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I have new respect for the water thaw method.

nancy,

All kidding aside, sometimes, depending on packaging and size, the frozen
food tends to float and needs tending to, every once in awhile, to flip.

Probably a good invention would be some adjustable netting to keep the
"stuff" underwater on top and bottom.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:58:00 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I have new respect for the water thaw method.

Been using it for years. Mom taught me that when I was eleven!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ward Abbott" > wrote

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:58:00 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have new respect for the water thaw method.

> Been using it for years. Mom taught me that when I was eleven!

As have many people. But my method of thaw is always this: take
something out of the freezer days before planning to cook it. If it
is still frozen when the day arrives, change plans and call out for
chinese. Make the item in question the next day. Or the next.

In my unconstructed life, I never need to thaw anything quickly.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Nancy Young said...
>
> > I have new respect for the water thaw method.

> nancy,
>
> All kidding aside, sometimes, depending on packaging and size, the frozen
> food tends to float and needs tending to, every once in awhile, to flip.
>
> Probably a good invention would be some adjustable netting to keep the
> "stuff" underwater on top and bottom.
>
> Andy

To keep the item under the water, I set something on top of the item to
weigh it down until it's fully submersed - I use a plastic liter of
bottled water or a small pan of water on top, just depends. If I don't
submerge it, then I do as Andy mentioned and I flip it a couple or few
times.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I decided to make Damsel's mahogany wings and took out
> a package of them from the freezer over the weekend. As
> time went by I wondered ... were there enough in the package?
>
> Last night, last possible moment, I decided, take out another
> package. It's way behind in the thawing routine. So I put
> it, still in the plastic, into a container of cold water. After a
> couple of hours, put the wings back into the refrigerator.
>
> Put the marinade on to simmer this morning and went about
> separating the wing sections. Guess what was still pretty much
> a block of ice. Hint: not the bag of wings I took out last night.
>
> I have new respect for the water thaw method.
>
> nancy

Hmmmm. Didn't I mention that idea here recently? Works slicker'n snot!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I have new respect for the water thaw method.

> Hmmmm. Didn't I mention that idea here recently? Works slicker'n snot!

(laugh!) No doubt. I was just astonished that 2 hours in a water
bath beat out, what, 3 days in the refrigerator by a mile. I had
no idea it was so effective. Now I know.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> I have new respect for the water thaw method.

> > Hmmmm. Didn't I mention that idea here recently? Works slicker'n snot!

> (laugh!) No doubt. I was just astonished that 2 hours in a water
> bath beat out, what, 3 days in the refrigerator by a mile. I had
> no idea it was so effective. Now I know.
>
> nancy

You've never thawed a turkey in the basement laundry tub? LOL!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> Melba's Jammin' >

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

>>> (laugh!) No doubt. I was just astonished that 2 hours in a water
>>> bath beat out, what, 3 days in the refrigerator by a mile. I had
>>> no idea it was so effective. Now I know.

>> You've never thawed a turkey in the basement laundry tub? LOL!

> LOL... I did a 6 pound chicken in the kitchen sink once. Worked like a
> charm too.

But have you ever had a side by side demonstration? Tee hee.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message >> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007
07:58:00 -0500, ">>

>>>I have new respect for the water thaw method.

> nancy

When I saw the heading I thought you were talking about a weather 'thaw' -
(although why would you); but it caught my eye because we've had a couple of
days of warmer temps and my back yard is melting, which means there is
thawed doggy poo everywhere! And I hate the thought of scooping!

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message >> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007
> 07:58:00 -0500, ">>

> When I saw the heading I thought you were talking about a weather 'thaw' -
> (although why would you); but it caught my eye because we've had a couple
> of days of warmer temps and my back yard is melting, which means there is
> thawed doggy poo everywhere! And I hate the thought of scooping!

I'm sorry about the poo, scoop it while it's semi-solid!

Truth is, I was startled today to look out my window and see the
first robin of the year. Got a picture I was so happy. Yay.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A steak or burger thaws in 15-30 min. It is safe too because there is not
enough time for the microbes to grow.

Mitch

THAW Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 26-02-2017 01:18 AM
Frozen dough: how long to let thaw etc? Kalmia General Cooking 20 18-07-2012 04:56 AM
thaw turkey in fridge Janet Bostwick General Cooking 14 22-11-2011 12:42 AM
Why not thaw at room temp? Sqwertz General Cooking 26 23-03-2009 11:41 AM
Re-freeze meat after thaw? [email protected] General Cooking 12 09-06-2006 03:31 PM