Substitute for sake?

Old 20-02-2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for sake?

This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

Thanks, nancy

MAHOGANY CHICKEN WINGS
By: Damsel in dis Dress
Appetizers/Dips, Chinese, Poultry

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup plum sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup saki (rice wine)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon garlic; finely minced
1 bunch (about 6) green onions; finely minced
5 pounds chicken wings

1. Combine all ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil, lower
heat, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Cool.

2. Cut wings at joints, forming "drummies," "sticks," and "tips".
Discard tips, or save for making soup stock.

3. Place wings in a container for marinating (Zip-Loc bags work great
for this), then cover with sauce. Refrigerate at least overnight, up to
two days. Turn occasionally.

4. Line two large jelly roll pans with aluminum foil. Coat with
vegetable oil or shortening to minimize sticking. Preheat oven to 375F.

5. Place individual chicken pieces on pans and bake, uncovered, for 20

minutes. Remove liquified chicken fat and juices from pan. Turn
chicken pieces and baste with marinating sauce.

6. Bake another 20 minutes, turn chicken and baste. Repeat twice
more, watching carefully during the last baking cycle, so the sauce
doesn't burn.
7. Serve hot or cold.

Yield: 5 dozen

Old 20-02-2007, 01:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

NY see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
NY the sake?

NY I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY enough.

NY Thanks, nancy

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old 20-02-2007, 01:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote

Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

NY see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
NY the sake?

NY I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY enough.

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used Amontillado,
"Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the usual bottle of cheaper
sherry that I use for cooking.

Thanks, Jim, I should keep a bottle of that in the house.
Unfortunately, they don't sell it at the supermarkets here.

nancy

Old 20-02-2007, 01:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
enough.

Thanks, nancy

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.

I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest mirin, maybe?
It's another type of sweet rice wine.

kili

Old 20-02-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:21 -0500:

k James Silverton wrote:
?? Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
??
?? see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something
?? for the sake?
??
?? I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
?? enough.
??
?? Thanks, nancy
??
?? Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
?? Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously
?? the usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
??
k I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest
k mirin, maybe? It's another type of sweet rice wine.

To each their own taste of course but I have never personally
detected a salty taste in sherry. I do keep a bottle of mirin
around and use it frequently but you have to careful with it as
a replacement for sake if there are other sources of sweetness
in the recipe.

Old 20-02-2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote

I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest mirin, maybe?
It's another type of sweet rice wine.

I actually saw that in the supermarket, which surprised me. Wonder
if it's along the lines of 'cooking wine' ... not worth buying.

I should probably just wait until this evening when I can take the
other car. Thanks.

nancy

Old 20-02-2007, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

Thanks, nancy

(Dams' mahogany wings recipe snipped)

'Twere I, I'd prolly use dry sherry or vermouth. It's what I use
whenever dry white is in the recipe. Maybe someone will tell you why
it's a bad idea -- JAT, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Old 20-02-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

'Twere I, I'd prolly use dry sherry or vermouth. It's what I use
whenever dry white is in the recipe. Maybe someone will tell you why
it's a bad idea -- JAT, though.

Thanks, Barb! I wrote down all suggestions and I'll go tonight.
Imagine, grocery shopping in the evening, I never do that. I'll
hit the liquor store, too.

nancy

Old 20-02-2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 8:09 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

FWIW, I know that some Chinese cooks substitute dry sherry for the
rice-derived liquors they traditionally cook with.

Old 20-02-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

k James Silverton wrote:
[...]

In my experience Mirin (sold labelled "Ahi Mirin") is very sweet
(together with ground roasted sesame seeds, miso and rice wine vinegar
is makes a good sauce for grilled Japanese eggplant or for steamed
spinach), sake isn't very sweet, and sherry is not salty (maybe the
kind sold a "cooking sherry" is salty, I don't know). I'd go with the
suggestion of very dry sherry or dry vermouth.

-bwg

Old 20-02-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

Thanks, nancy

You can find Mirin in many supermarkets.

Old 20-02-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

You can find Mirin in many supermarkets.

That would be okay? Good, because I did see that in the store
I'm going to later. Thanks.

nancy

Old 21-02-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:19:26 -0500, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

NY see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
NY the sake?

NY I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY enough.

NY Thanks, nancy

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

james, i know you cook a lot of asian stuff, so out of curiosity, what
brand of sherry do you use? (i'm getting to the end of the shao-hsing
wine if been using. i don't think it would drink it by itself.)

your pal,
blake