Vince Poroke

Default MSG Use

Can MSG be used on all dishes? MSG is salty (guess based on name)so
should it only be used on savory dishes? WHat do you use MSG in?

Thanks.
Kswck

Vince Poroke wrote:

> Can MSG be used on all dishes? MSG is salty (guess based on name)so
> should it only be used on savory dishes? WHat do you use MSG in?
>
> Thanks.

MSG is a chemical used to enhance food flavoring. There are many folks
who can't stomach MSG, particularly those who suffer migraines.
It is a common ingredient in Chinese restaurants.
I would check with whomever you are cooking for if they can tolerate it
before using it.

Hahabogus

Kswck > wrote in :

> Vince Poroke wrote:
>
>> Can MSG be used on all dishes? MSG is salty (guess based on name)so
>> should it only be used on savory dishes? WHat do you use MSG in?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> MSG is a chemical used to enhance food flavoring. There are many folks
> who can't stomach MSG, particularly those who suffer migraines.
> It is a common ingredient in Chinese restaurants.
> I would check with whomever you are cooking for if they can tolerate it
> before using it.

MSG is a natural occurring compound found in many foods. It is used as a
flavour enhancer. The stuff about allergies is mostly a urban myth.
Anthony

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...
> MSG is a natural occurring compound found in many foods. It is used as a
> flavour enhancer. The stuff about allergies is mostly a urban myth.

I agree. Seems unlikely that 650 million Chinese would go around with a
headache rather than omit MSG. I use it in stews, Chinese preparations; not
sure how much good it does, but hey, we need all the flavor enhancing we can
get!

Dimitri

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Can MSG be used on all dishes? MSG is salty (guess based on name)so
> should it only be used on savory dishes? WHat do you use MSG in?
>
> Thanks.

Food for thought:

From http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/...ste/taste.html

Dimitri

The Sense of Taste

The are 5 tastes. A taste is a sensation created by receptors on the
tongue. The entire flavor of a food is a combination of its taste, smell,
texture, temperature, etc. The 5 tastes a
Sweet
Salty
Sour
Bitter
Umami (oo-mommy) - the recently recognized 5th taste

Umami is a Japanese word for the taste imparted by glutamate in foods.
There is no direct English translation, but it is often described as
"meaty", "savory" or "broth-like". Traditionally, glutamate was considered a
taste enhancer, e.g. it made the tongue more receptive to other tastes.
However, the Japanese have considered umami a taste for a long time. Only
recently have taste receptors on the tongue been identified, which allowed
umami to be officially classified as the 5th taste. It is a taste that
gives many vegetables a "meaty" taste. For example, umami is the "meaty" or
"savory" taste of sautéed mushroom, fermented foods and sauces such as soy
sauce, or fresh tomatoes. The umami taste is also very high in cheese,
shellfish seafood, stocks, broths and chocolate. Another compound that
imparts the umami taste is ribonucleic acids. Glutamate and ribonucleic acid
may complement each other synergistically to create an enhanced umami taste.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the form of glutamate available for seasoning.
One brand is Accent. Glutamate is an amino acid. In its free form, called
a salt of glutamic acid (such as monosodium glutamate) it imparts in food
the umami taste. Glutamate is an amino acid that makes up proteins, but
when glutamate is bound in a protein it does not impart the umami taste.

So what does this all mean. Adding a pinch of MSG to your seasoning mix or
or directly when cooking foods may generate a more "meaty" or "savory"
flavor. Of course another option is to use those foods that are naturally
high in glutamate. Use of stocks, broths and tomatoes in cajun cooking maybe
one of the secrets of its rich savory flavor.

How about a 6th taste - fat

Now that we're on the subject of tastes, I'd like to add a 6th of my own -
fat. That's right, fat as a 6th taste. Yes, I know there are no fat taste
receptors so it cannot truly be a taste, but there is absolutely no doubt
that fat adds to the unbelievably rich flavor of cajun cooking. Fat is one
of the main ingredients that creates the incredibly rich flavor of crawfish
etouffee made with the head fat, a gravy made with smothered pork or whole
chicken pieces, a well marbled steak, or anything sautéed in butter. You
know you cannot make a decent brown gravy with lean meat such as venison or
round steak. Ok, so fat is a flavor and not a taste!

Kswck

Anthony wrote:

> "Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> . 1...
>
>>MSG is a natural occurring compound found in many foods. It is used as a
>>flavour enhancer. The stuff about allergies is mostly a urban myth.
>>

> I agree. Seems unlikely that 650 million Chinese would go around with a
> headache rather than omit MSG. I use it in stews, Chinese preparations; not
> sure how much good it does, but hey, we need all the flavor enhancing we can
> get!

Not true. 650 million Chinese do not use MSG. It IS used in Chinese
restaurants in the USA.
My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.

PENMART01

In article >, Kswck >
writes:

>Anthony wrote:
>
>> "Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>> . 1...
>>
>>>MSG is a natural occurring compound found in many foods. It is used as a
>>>flavour enhancer. The stuff about allergies is mostly a urban myth.
>>>

>> I agree. Seems unlikely that 650 million Chinese would go around with a
>> headache rather than omit MSG. I use it in stews, Chinese preparations;

>not
>> sure how much good it does, but hey, we need all the flavor enhancing we

>can
>> get!
>>

>Not true. 650 million Chinese do not use MSG. It IS used in Chinese
>restaurants in the USA.
>My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
>attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.

Bullshit. MSG occurs naturally in many, many every day foods.... including
milk, especially breast milk... were many people allergic the world population
would have a very difficult time finding foods they can eat. Between 1-2% of
the world population is very mildly allergic to MSG... it's exceedingly rare
for anyone to be highly allergic. People experience Chinese Restaurant
Syndrome because Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is necessary...
ergo folks experience overdose... they'd feel exactly the same were they to
consume a pound of potato chips at one sitting, from consuming excessive salt.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vince Poroke

Hahabogus > wrote in message .1>...
> Kswck > wrote in :
>

> > Vince Poroke wrote:
> >
> >> Can MSG be used on all dishes? MSG is salty (guess based on name)so
> >> should it only be used on savory dishes? WHat do you use MSG in?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> > MSG is a chemical used to enhance food flavoring. There are many folks
> > who can't stomach MSG, particularly those who suffer migraines.
> > It is a common ingredient in Chinese restaurants.
> > I would check with whomever you are cooking for if they can tolerate it
> > before using it.
> >

> MSG is a natural occurring compound found in many foods. It is used as a
> flavour enhancer. The stuff about allergies is mostly a urban myth.

That is my belief also. How should I use it, in what amounts, should
it only be for savory dishes or will it enhance sweet dishes? THanks
for the help.
Kswck

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article >, Kswck >
> writes:
>

> Bullshit. MSG occurs naturally in many, many every day foods.... including
> milk, especially breast milk... were many people allergic the world population
> would have a very difficult time finding foods they can eat. Between 1-2% of
> the world population is very mildly allergic to MSG... it's exceedingly rare
> for anyone to be highly allergic. People experience Chinese Restaurant
> Syndrome because Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is necessary...
> ergo folks experience overdose... they'd feel exactly the same were they to
> consume a pound of potato chips at one sitting, from consuming excessive salt.

Sheldon:

I'm saying that US Chinese restaurants use WAY too much MSG and that it
is NOT a common ingredient in food in China. The Chinese are noted for
highly-spiced meats cooked wok-style in their dishes. This does not
actively include MSG.

There ARE folks that are allergic to MSG. Whether it is 1% or 2% is not
relevant. There ARE SOME PEOPLE that ARE allergic.

Anthony

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> Not true. 650 million Chinese do not use MSG. It IS used in Chinese
> restaurants in the USA.

This is from Jeffrey Steingarten's "It Must Have Been Something I Ate"

"Just as we were finishing off a full and happy liunch at the famous old Mei
Long Zhen restaurant in the city of Shanghai, I sensed that somewhere inside
me was taking place a deep and blinding thought. We visited the kitchen.
Each chef stood before a wide black wok set into a ceramic counter over a
fierce fire. Next to each was a table holding a dozen or so bowls of
condiments and flavorings into which he dipped the edge of broad, shallow
ladle as he prepared each dish; light and dark soy, salt and sugar, hot
chili oil and ground dried red pepper, broth and cooking oil, white and
black pepper, finely chopped garlic and ginger and scallions, cornstarch,
and, finally, a bowl of white Gourmet Powder - the Chinese name for MSG,
monosodium glutamate. There was not a kitchen we saw in all of China that
lacked an ample supply of Gourmet Powder."

Anthony

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
> attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that no-one is allergic to MSG; I'm sure
some are, including your girlfriend, but as with those who have the
misfortune to be allergic to peanuts, or bivalves, or beestings I believe
that the percentage of the population so affected is fairly small.

Z GIRL

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > In article >, Kswck >
> > writes:
> >

> > Bullshit. MSG occurs naturally in many, many every day foods....

including
> > milk, especially breast milk... were many people allergic the world

population
> > would have a very difficult time finding foods they can eat. Between

1-2% of
> > the world population is very mildly allergic to MSG... it's exceedingly

rare
> > for anyone to be highly allergic. People experience Chinese Restaurant
> > Syndrome because Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is

necessary...
> > ergo folks experience overdose... they'd feel exactly the same were they

> > consume a pound of potato chips at one sitting, from consuming excessive

salt.

> Sheldon:
>
> I'm saying that US Chinese restaurants use WAY too much MSG and that it
> is NOT a common ingredient in food in China. The Chinese are noted for
> highly-spiced meats cooked wok-style in their dishes. This does not
> actively include MSG.
>
> There ARE folks that are allergic to MSG. Whether it is 1% or 2% is not
> relevant. There ARE SOME PEOPLE that ARE allergic.

I think the confusion here is in the word "allergic" . If someone were
truely allergic they would go in anaphylactic shock if they injested
monosodium glutumate. There are people whom are "sensitive" to MSG but most
can eat a chinese meal. And there are others who might get a headache but
that is not the same as a allergy

peace,
Barbara

TonyP

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:37:52 +0000, PENMART01 wrote:

> In article >, Kswck >
> writes:
>
>>Anthony wrote:
>>
>>> "Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>>> . 1...

>>> I agree. Seems unlikely that 650 million Chinese would go around with a
>>> headache rather than omit MSG. I use it in stews, Chinese preparations;

>>not
>>> sure how much good it does, but hey, we need all the flavor enhancing we

>>can
>>> get!
>>>

>>Not true. 650 million Chinese do not use MSG. It IS used in Chinese
>>restaurants in the USA.
>>My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
>>attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.

> Bullshit. MSG occurs naturally in many, many every day foods.... including
> milk, especially breast milk... were many people allergic the world population
> would have a very difficult time finding foods they can eat. Between 1-2% of
> the world population is very mildly allergic to MSG... it's exceedingly rare
> for anyone to be highly allergic. People experience Chinese Restaurant
> Syndrome because Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is necessary...
> ergo folks experience overdose... they'd feel exactly the same were they to
> consume a pound of potato chips at one sitting, from consuming excessive salt.

I think it's bullshit too, doubt the headaches have anything to do with
MSG, probably too much wine.

Tony
Julia Altshuler

Z GIRL wrote:

> I think the confusion here is in the word "allergic" . If someone were
> truely allergic they would go in anaphylactic shock if they injested
> monosodium glutumate. There are people whom are "sensitive" to MSG but most
> can eat a chinese meal. And there are others who might get a headache but
> that is not the same as a allergy

The word "allergic" is even more confusing than that.

It is possible to mildly allergic thus getting an allergic reaction
that's not an anaphylactic one. (Best example: Pollen allergies. The
sufferer sneezes and might take an antihistamine but doesn't need life
saving emergency care.)

One of the old 1950 vintage Emily Post etiquette books recommended using
the word "allergic" to mean "I don't care for any, thank-you." A doctor
wouldn't like that definition, but many people use it that way.

Then there's using the word "allergies" to mean any number of foods that
give unpleasant symptoms whether the cause is a true medical allergy or not.

As for the MSG question, I have an easy way around it. I don't care at
all WHY a guest or customer doesn't want an ingredient in their food.
In fact, I'd rather not know. If someone asks me to leave something out
because it will make them deathly ill or because they think it will make
them deathly ill (when I think they're wrong) or because it will make
them mildly uncomfortable or because they have a religious objection or
because they plain don't like it, I go ahead and leave it out, no
questions asked. For that reason, I prefer not to cook with MSG. Too
many people don't like it. (And besides, I'm personally allergic to it.)

--Lia

Hahabogus

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
. net:

> The word "allergic" is even more confusing than that.

Nobody seems to remember the other type of allergy response...the dreaded
hives. Which aren't life threatening but are damn annoying.

Kswck

Anthony wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>

>>My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
>>attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.
>>

> I certainly didn't mean to imply that no-one is allergic to MSG; I'm sure
> some are, including your girlfriend, but as with those who have the
> misfortune to be allergic to peanuts, or bivalves, or beestings I believe
> that the percentage of the population so affected is fairly small.

I'm sure the percentage of the population that cannot consume MSG is
quite small. The point was to correct Sheldon who has a way of
overemphasing things. His blanket statements often do not apply.

Perhaps 'allergic' is too strong a word. Let's just say that for some,
consuming MSG can make them ill.

pavane

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. net...

> As for the MSG question, I have an easy way around it. I don't care at
> all WHY a guest or customer doesn't want an ingredient in their food.
> In fact, I'd rather not know. If someone asks me to leave something out
> because it will make them deathly ill or because they think it will make
> them deathly ill (when I think they're wrong) or because it will make
> them mildly uncomfortable or because they have a religious objection or
> because they plain don't like it, I go ahead and leave it out, no
> questions asked. For that reason, I prefer not to cook with MSG. Too
> many people don't like it. (And besides, I'm personally allergic to it.)

That is an excellent paragraph.
Thank you for such rarely seen common sense.

pavane

Peter Aitken

"Anthony" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> >

> > My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
> > attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.
> >

> I certainly didn't mean to imply that no-one is allergic to MSG; I'm sure
> some are, including your girlfriend, but as with those who have the
> misfortune to be allergic to peanuts, or bivalves, or beestings I believe
> that the percentage of the population so affected is fairly small.

No one is allergic to MSG. Some people have a sensitivity to it but it is
*NOT* an allergy.

--
Peter Aitken

Anthony

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> No one is allergic to MSG. Some people have a sensitivity to it but it is
> *NOT* an allergy.
>

> --

I stand corrected. I really hadn't focused on the true meaning of allergy
before, not being a sufferer myself.

A.T. Hagan

On 07 Oct 2003 21:37:52 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

>In article >, Kswck >
>writes:
>
>>Anthony wrote:
>>
>>> "Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>>> . 1...

>>> I agree. Seems unlikely that 650 million Chinese would go around with a
>>> headache rather than omit MSG. I use it in stews, Chinese preparations;

>>not
>>> sure how much good it does, but hey, we need all the flavor enhancing we

>>can
>>> get!

>>Not true. 650 million Chinese do not use MSG. It IS used in Chinese
>>restaurants in the USA.
>>My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
>>attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.

>Bullshit. MSG occurs naturally in many, many every day foods.... including
>milk, especially breast milk... were many people allergic the world population
>would have a very difficult time finding foods they can eat. Between 1-2% of
>the world population is very mildly allergic to MSG... it's exceedingly rare
>for anyone to be highly allergic. People experience Chinese Restaurant
>Syndrome because Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is necessary...
>ergo folks experience overdose... they'd feel exactly the same were they to
>consume a pound of potato chips at one sitting, from consuming excessive salt.

One possible explanation that I've read concerning this MSG question
is that it isn't really the MSG that's causing the problem, but it is
the MSG product that's used. Is the MSG that's available for sale
literally 100.00% monosodium glutamate or is there some fraction of a
percent of other chemicals in there with it? Might not the people who
encounter problems with foods with added MSG be reacting to non-MSG
contaminants contained in the MSG product?

I don't know, but it does present an interesting question. If the
typical industrially manufactured MSG that's used in cooking is not
literally 100.00% MSG what other chemicals are in there with it?

There are a small number of people out there who are amazingly
sensitive to the most minute quantities of certain substances. It may
be that's what they're reacting to.

......Alan.

Post no bills

PENMART01

In article >,
(A.T. Hagan) writes:

>(PENMART01) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Kswck >
>>writes:

>>>not
>>>can
>>>
>>>Not true. 650 million Chinese do not use MSG. It IS used in Chinese
>>>restaurants in the USA.
>>>My girlfriend is a migraine sufferer. If she consumes MSG, the migraine
>>>attacks. There are many people that are allergic to MSG.

>>Bullshit. MSG occurs naturally in many, many every day foods.... including
>>milk, especially breast milk... were many people allergic the world

>population
>>would have a very difficult time finding foods they can eat. Between 1-2%

>of
>>the world population is very mildly allergic to MSG... it's exceedingly rare
>>for anyone to be highly allergic. People experience Chinese Restaurant
>>Syndrome because Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is necessary...
>>ergo folks experience overdose... they'd feel exactly the same were they to
>>consume a pound of potato chips at one sitting, from consuming excessive

>salt.
>
>One possible explanation that I've read concerning this MSG question
>is that it isn't really the MSG that's causing the problem, but it is
>the MSG product that's used. Is the MSG that's available for sale
>literally 100.00% monosodium glutamate or is there some fraction of a
>percent of other chemicals in there with it? Might not the people who
>encounter problems with foods with added MSG be reacting to non-MSG
>contaminants contained in the MSG product?
>
>I don't know, but it does present an interesting question. If the
>typical industrially manufactured MSG that's used in cooking is not
>literally 100.00% MSG what other chemicals are in there with it?
>
>There are a small number of people out there who are amazingly
>sensitive to the most minute quantities of certain substances. It may
>be that's what they're reacting to.

I'm not sure what you are attempting to convey, as Chinese dishes are generally
concocted using many ingredients including many seasonings/spices... so how is
one to judge overall purity of each individual ingredient once they are
blneded... but as far as I know MSG sold in the US most assuredly passes the
purity tests administered by the USDA and whichever other agencies oversee
these things. I'm sure MSG is as pure as table salt or sugar.

The reaction folks have to MSG at Chinese restaurants is from overdosing...
Chinese cooks tend to use far more MSG than is necessary and folks also tend to
eat Chinese food in copious quantities. Folks feel just as uncomfortable after
pigging out on salty chips or over indulging on the Halloween treats... think
about how yucky you'd feel immediately after polishing off that entire one
pound bag of kandy korn. And yet you have no allergy to sugar. Heck, I've
felt pretty awful after drinking too much rum... I think that's called a
hangover, not an allergy