Cooking frozen meatloaf without thawing???

Old 31-01-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking frozen meatloaf without thawing???

How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

Old 31-01-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
ups.com...
How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

You want to eat this tonight, right?

Old 31-01-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 10:54 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"tomkanpa" wrote in message

ups.com...

How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

You want to eat this tonight, right?

YOU GOT IT!

Old 31-01-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 10:51?am, "tomkanpa" wrote:
How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

You froze *raw* meat loafS... M O R O O N!

You're supposed to freeze cooked meat loaf, same as you freeze cooked
meatballs. Depending on ingredients you may need to shit can it, may
not be safe.

Old 31-01-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jan 31, 10:54 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"tomkanpa" wrote in message

ups.com...

How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

You want to eat this tonight, right?

YOU GOT IT!

Without knowing how big the meat loaf is (and I don't wanna know):

4 hours ahead of time: Cover pan with foil, put in 250 degree oven for 2
hours. Stick a thin knife into the center. If it seems defrosted, uncover
and crank the heat to 350. Cook another hour. Stick in a meat thermometer,
which you probably don't own, but will run out and buy during your lunch
hour. The thermometer will explain the rest.

If the first 2 hours didn't defrost the meat loaf, give it another hour.
Make sure the oven rack's in the center, by the way.

Old 31-01-2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Jan 2007 08:26:54 -0800, "Sheldon" wrote:

On Jan 31, 10:51?am, "tomkanpa" wrote:
How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

You froze *raw* meat loafS... M O R O O N!

You're supposed to freeze cooked meat loaf, same as you freeze cooked
meatballs. Depending on ingredients you may need to shit can it, may
not be safe.

Don't be silly Sheldon. Of course you can freeze raw meatloaf. I used
to do it all the time - I'd make up about six pounds of rissoles and
I'd get tired of shaping them so I'd make the last third into a couple
of meatloaves to get the job over and done with.
Just put some liquid (stock, water, extra water in your tomato
sauce...) into the pan when you cook it so the steam can help it thaw
out (and to keep it from drying out during the longer cooking time)
and then cook it at a lower temperature for about an hour, then turn
the oven up to normal to finish the job.
Old 31-01-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
You froze *raw* meat loafS... M O R O O N!

You're supposed to freeze cooked meat loaf, same as you freeze cooked
meatballs. Depending on ingredients you may need to shit can it, may
not be safe.

If it was safe to cook before freezing it will be safe to
cook afterwards. Freezing sure isn't going to make it
"dangerous."

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Old 31-01-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

tomkanpa wrote:
How do I adjust the baking time and temperature for cooking frozen
meatloafs? They're all made and frozen raw.

Microwave. Either thaw in the micro and finish in the
regular oven, or just cook it all the way in the microwave.
If you have one with a temp sensor that would be best, but
you can just keep cooking it and spot checking with a meat
thermometer.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:41:13 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

[...]

Yabbut if you have onions, bell peppers and the like in there then
the cellular walls of the veggies will break down upon freezing (and
especially thawing) and it'll taste a lot more shittier than it would
have if you had frozen it cooked.

I haven't posted here for a couple of years but I do feel as though I
need to back Sheldon up on this one. You just don't freeze raw
meatloaf. The action of cooking it screws it up. It's perfectly fine
to freeze a cooked meatloaf, lasagna, casserole etc..

Common knowlege, it is
Old 01-02-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Onions and peppers freeze well IMO. I have never had a problem with say a
frozen stir fry mix with onions and peppers in it. I wouldnt freeze a whole
onion and then eat it raw but they are good enough in cooked food.

Tori

Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

True, but veggie cells rupturing is the least of it... many veggies
harbor botulism, eggs contain salmonella, ground meat itself contains
an abundance of pathogens all throughout... it's not food safe to
freeze raw meatloaf. And I'm not going to explain why because if no
one has gotten it by now no one will. There's a good reason all
prepared frozen dishes sold are already cooked, especially those
containing meat, most especially if it's ground meat... for the same
reason raw poultry isn't frozen prestuffed. It's not safe to leave
raw meatloaf refrigerated more than a few hours, same with stuffed
poultry, in fact a few hours is too long. Raw meatloaf needs to be
cooked immediately upon preparation, same for stuffed poultry, ANY
stuffed meat!

But of course the vast majority of RFC'ers should be banned from the
kitchen... few can even wash dishes safely... most are incapable of
properly wiping their butts (I think many actually lick their butts
clean). And from all this low carb palaver I'm 100% positive most
are too friggin' obese to reach their own butt... they gotta use a
garden hose with a right angle nozzle to douche... friggn' blobs know
all about food, that's how they got to be BLOBS! And from reading
this thread it's obvious that many lick each other's butts.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . . .

Sheldon