Nabisco Ginger Snaps: Have They Changed?

Old 26-01-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nabisco Ginger Snaps: Have They Changed?

I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them
for a few years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they
are not very good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does
anyone have an ancient box of them, so we can compare
ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!

My observations:

1. They are paler than they used to be.

2. The top is slightly concave--and I don't remember that.

3. They are VERY hard--and not in the same way that they used
to be. They are UNPLEASANTLY hard now, and they do not soften
to a decent texture as you eat them.

4. They don't taste very gingery.

I guess I'll either have to make some myself, or I'll go get
some Triple Ginger Snaps at Trader Joe's.
--
Jean B.
Old 26-01-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them for a few
years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they are not very good.
Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does anyone have an ancient box of
them, so we can compare ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!

I guess I'll either have to make some myself, or I'll go get some Triple
Ginger Snaps at Trader Joe's.

There is another brand whose name escapes me but it is commonly found in
all my local stores, often on the very top shelf. Not Archway brand. It
comes in a large, brown bag and the ginger snaps have a nicer, stronger
flavor than those nasty Nabisco ones. Look around your market for a
different brand.
Old 26-01-2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
There is another brand whose name escapes me but it is commonly found in
all my local stores, often on the very top shelf. Not Archway brand. It
comes in a large, brown bag and the ginger snaps have a nicer, stronger
flavor than those nasty Nabisco ones. Look around your market for a
different brand.

Thanks, I'll take a look and get some if they are in my
supermarket. I never would have called the Nabisco ones nasty
before, but that sure is appropriate now.

--
Jean B.
Old 27-01-2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them for a few
years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they are not very good.

I guess I'll either have to make some myself, or I'll go get some Triple
Ginger Snaps at Trader Joe's.

Those are our very favorite. They are hard to beat!
I have a recipe from a local cookbook that we enjoy.
Will post when I have time to type it.

gloria p
Old 27-01-2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw

In article ,
"Jean B." wrote:

I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them
for a few years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they
are not very good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does
anyone have an ancient box of them, so we can compare
ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!

My observations:

1. They are paler than they used to be.

2. The top is slightly concave--and I don't remember that.

3. They are VERY hard--and not in the same way that they used
to be. They are UNPLEASANTLY hard now, and they do not soften
to a decent texture as you eat them.

4. They don't taste very gingery.

5. they no longer have that light sprinkling of sugar.

and, worst of all

6. They're not dropped and allowed to crackle naturally; they all have
the same "crackle" pattern stamped into the top.

And you're right; they're not as good as they used to be.

Now, go to the Nabisco web site and try to find out if they even admit
to making the things, much less have a place where you can tell them you
think the quality has gone down.

Isaac
Old 27-01-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
In article ,
"Jean B." wrote:

[...]

Well, here's your first request. They're not exactly secretive: I just
clicked on "Our Brands" in the top-of-page nav bar.

http://nabisco.com/Brands/ProductInf...uct=4400000365

= http://tinyurl.com/3d857c

Here's your second.

http://nabisco.com/misccontent/conta...spx?m=cu_form1

Select "Product Questions" and eventually you'll get to a form to enter
comments. Unfortunately, it wants personal information, but there's
always faking.

Alternatively:

If you require immediate assistance or would like to speak to a
representative from Nabiscoworld, please call us at 1-800-323-0768
with questions about our products Monday through Friday between the
hours of 9am - 9pm EST.

Or you can write to us at:

Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
Consumer Relations Group
1 Kraft Court
Glenview, IL 60025

/q

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Old 27-01-2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
Goomba38 wrote:
There is another brand whose name escapes me but it is commonly found
in all my local stores, often on the very top shelf. Not Archway
brand. It comes in a large, brown bag and the ginger snaps have a
nicer, stronger flavor than those nasty Nabisco ones. Look around your
market for a different brand.

Thanks, I'll take a look and get some if they are in my supermarket. I
never would have called the Nabisco ones nasty before, but that sure is
appropriate now.

Murray's is the brand I am thinking of. MUCH better than Nabisco.
Old 27-01-2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
In article ,
"Jean B." wrote:

[...]

Let me go see.... I see they are part of Kraft now....

Hmmm. Before I go to the site... I am looking at the
ingredients. Since when did they contain partially
hydrogenated cottonseed oil? Yuck...

Okay. Here goes...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf

Products...

Now that's odd. This only leads to the ingredients and label,
but those don't match what is on the box, which I just got.

Online: enriched flour, sugar, molasses, PH soybean oil,
leavening, ginger, salt, soy lecithin.

Box: enriched flour, sugar, molasses, soybean oil, leavening,
PH cottonseed oil, ginger, salt, cornstarch....

There is some interactive comment thing. Let me ask--not much
room for my observations though. That brought up 5 canned and
nonapplicable answers, but it also led to a form.... We shall
see.
--
Jean B.
Old 27-01-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Murray's is the brand I am thinking of. MUCH better than Nabisco.

Thanks. If it warms up and I get out shopping, I'll look for
them.

--
Jean B.
Old 27-01-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
Consumer Relations Group
1 Kraft Court
Glenview, IL 60025

/q

There really isn't much to say. Kraft stuff is piled high on the shelves
of your local Walmart because they have become really efficient at
producing the lowest price and quality products.
Old 27-01-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Jean B. wrote:
I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them for a few
years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they are not very
good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does anyone have an
ancient box of them, so we can compare ingredients? Unfortunately, I
threw mine away!

I guess I'll either have to make some myself, or I'll go get some
Triple Ginger Snaps at Trader Joe's.

There is another brand whose name escapes me but it is commonly found in
all my local stores, often on the very top shelf. Not Archway brand. It
comes in a large, brown bag and the ginger snaps have a nicer, stronger
flavor than those nasty Nabisco ones. Look around your market for a
different brand.

Yes, thats the one. I can't remember the name either but they still make
real gingersnaps that actually have ginger and that random cracking
pattern in them.
Old 27-01-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
Blinky the Shark wrote:

Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
Consumer Relations Group
1 Kraft Court
Glenview, IL 60025

/q

There really isn't much to say. Kraft stuff is piled high on the shelves
of your local Walmart because they have become really efficient at
producing the lowest price and quality products.

I just provided the information (most snipped, above) someone asked for;
I have no need to say anything to Nabisco myself.

Old 27-01-2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:59:59 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them
for a few years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they
are not very good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does
anyone have an ancient box of them, so we can compare
ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!

My observations:

1. They are paler than they used to be.

2. The top is slightly concave--and I don't remember that.

3. They are VERY hard--and not in the same way that they used
to be. They are UNPLEASANTLY hard now, and they do not soften
to a decent texture as you eat them.

4. They don't taste very gingery.

I guess I'll either have to make some myself, or I'll go get
some Triple Ginger Snaps at Trader Joe's.

Many things have changed for the worse. I'm beginning to feel like my
grandparents. I thought they were old and grumpy and always
complaining about how things had changed... not for the better. Well,
that's me now.... and apparently you too. Corporations are bought and
sold, profits need to be made. If the gingersnaps seem different,
then they are different. Corporate recipes change not for flavor, but
the bottom line.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
George wrote:
Blinky the Shark wrote:

Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
Consumer Relations Group
1 Kraft Court
Glenview, IL 60025

/q

There really isn't much to say. Kraft stuff is piled high on the shelves
of your local Walmart because they have become really efficient at
producing the lowest price and quality products.

I just provided the information (most snipped, above) someone asked for;
I have no need to say anything to Nabisco myself.

Their predictable response didn't address what I said at all!
They also said they were reimbursing my money so I could
"replace this product". As if I would buy them again!

--
Jean B.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean B. View Post
I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them
for a few years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they
are not very good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does
anyone have an ancient box of them, so we can compare
ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!

My observations:

1. They are paler than they used to be.

2. The top is slightly concave--and I don't remember that.

3. They are VERY hard--and not in the same way that they used
to be. They are UNPLEASANTLY hard now, and they do not soften
to a decent texture as you eat them.

4. They don't taste very gingery.

I guess I'll either have to make some myself, or I'll go get
some Triple Ginger Snaps at Trader Joe's.
--
Jean B.
They are ABSOLUTELY different and they are horrible!! I've eaten them for years and just picked up a box at the store today. I was shocked enough to look on the internet to see if it was my imagination. They are lighter in color and have a "stamped" impression on the top. They are nothing like the ones I bought 3 months ago. I will return them and never buy Nabisco again!

Old-Fashioned Ginger Snaps Mom2Sam Tiny Recipes (moderated) 0 26-10-2006 01:12 PM
Cookies Why do/what makes "Ginger Snaps" SNAP? Bruce H \(RVDriver\) Baking 0 19-11-2004 07:44 PM
ko~ Nabisco® Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 04:16 PM
Yummy Ginger Snaps Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-02-2004 04:06 PM
NY Times Ginger Snaps? Tapper again Baking 1 29-12-2003 12:45 AM