Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default plastic cling film problems

novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though the
box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which to
tear it.

what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably end
up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JWBH" > wrote in message
> novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though
> the box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which
> to tear it.
>
> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably
> end up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice

Buy the Reynolds plastic wrap. To appease the minority who can't operate a
spoon without killing themselves, they added a sliding cutter to their box.
It's a horrific waste of packaging, but that's what their "focus groups"
wanted.

Or, buy some other brand that has a METAL serrated edge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JWBH" > wrote in message
> novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though
> the box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which
> to tear it.
>
> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably
> end up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice

Practice. This is not one of life's more difficult tasks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "JWBH" > wrote in message
>> novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though
>> the box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which
>> to tear it.
>>
>> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably
>> end up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice
>>

> Practice. This is not one of life's more difficult tasks.

You'd think, right? But Reynolds added the slider because they said "so many
people have trouble with the cutter". Cripes...my kid mastered it when he
was about 7.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 5:32 pm, "JWBH" > wrote:
> novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though the
> box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which to
> tear it.
>
> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably end
> up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice

My advice is to apply the wrap BEFORE cutting it. Sounds backwards, but
it works for me.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
news
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JWBH" > wrote in message
>>> novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though
>>> the box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with
>>> which to tear it.
>>>
>>> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably
>>> end up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice
>>>

>> Practice. This is not one of life's more difficult tasks.
>>

> You'd think, right? But Reynolds added the slider because they said "so
> many people have trouble with the cutter". Cripes...my kid mastered it
> when he was about 7.

I actualy dont buy cling wrap because it annoys the poop out of me to get it
out of the box.

Tori

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "JWBH" > wrote in message

>> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably
>> end up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice
>>

> Buy the Reynolds plastic wrap. To appease the minority who can't operate a
> spoon without killing themselves, they added a sliding cutter to their box.
> It's a horrific waste of packaging, but that's what their "focus groups"
> wanted.
>
> Or, buy some other brand that has a METAL serrated edge.

Buy the Reynolds and reuse the box it came in when you run out.
I have trouble with the cut not coming out "square" but the cutter on
the Reynolds box works like a charm.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JWBH wrote:

> novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though the
> box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which to
> tear it.
>
> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably end
> up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice

Buy the brand name with the metal cutter, or find one with a sturdy box
and cutting edge. The cheapie brands just don't work well.

Have your bowl of whatever ready to cover. Hold the box in one hand and
pull the plastic with the other, right over the top of your bowl. Angle
the box and pull the plastic so it tears on the cutting edge. It should
fall right on top of your bowl. No folding, no tangling.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 7:04*pm, "Dean G." > wrote:
> On Jan 24, 5:32 pm, "JWBH" > wrote:
>
> > novice always struggles with the thin plastic 'cling film', even though the
> > box has a serrated plastic strip along the edge of the box with which to
> > tear it.

> > what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably end
> > up with it getting folded and tangled. *thanks for any advice

My advice is to apply the wrap BEFORE cutting it. Sounds backwards, but
> it works for me.

Me too. Watch how the meat wrappers at the stupidmarket apply the
plastic wrap.

That said I use very little plastic wrap, a 100" package can last me
like four years.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:23:15 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Buy the Reynolds and reuse the box it came in when you run out.
>I have trouble with the cut not coming out "square" but the cutter on
>the Reynolds box works like a charm.
>
>gloria p

Costco's old film was great. But the last time I got it they had
changed and were offering their brand with the cutter. It's a total
pita. It doesn't cut but just pulls through the film and shreds it.
Glad the Reynolds works for you.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:32:02 GMT, "JWBH"
> wrote:

>what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably end
>up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice

Store your plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Results are
incredible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "JWBH" > wrote in message

>>> what the best way to cut some off? scissors, a sharp knife? i invariably
>>> end up with it getting folded and tangled. thanks for any advice
>>>

>> Buy the Reynolds plastic wrap. To appease the minority who can't operate
>> a spoon without killing themselves, they added a sliding cutter to their
>> box. It's a horrific waste of packaging, but that's what their "focus
>> groups" wanted.
>>
>> Or, buy some other brand that has a METAL serrated edge.

> Buy the Reynolds and reuse the box it came in when you run out.
> I have trouble with the cut not coming out "square" but the cutter on the
> Reynolds box works like a charm.
>
> gloria p

With the old type box, the process of pulling & tearing gave the material
just a bit of a stretch, which caused it to cling better. With the sliding
cutter, that's gone. As far as reusing the box, with what product? Saran
Wrap is crap, and I haven't had much luck with store brands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 9:56 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" ng

> cutter, that's gone. As far as reusing the box, with what product? Saran
> Wrap is crap, and I haven't had much luck with store brands.

I have had good luck with the K-Mart brand, "American Fare." It's in a
yellow box - cutter works great, there are end flaps to keep the roll
in the box when you pull the film out, and I'm hard-pressed to tell the
difference between this plastic wrap and Reynolds, which used to be my
favorite. Plus, I think there are 200 feet in the K-Mart brand box,
and it doesn't cost much.

Try it.

N.