Pressure cooker Beans and bacon

Old 21-01-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pressure cooker Beans and bacon

Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
beans?

Old 21-01-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
beans?

I never tried this. Do you brown the bacon first?

Old 21-01-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

pamjd wrote:
Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
beans?

I've somehow missed Kentucky in my travels, but was there something
different about the "soup beans" other than the amount of liquid? I
mean, least liquid = beans, more liquid = soup beans, even more liquid
= bean soup? -aem

Old 21-01-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

pamjd wrote:
Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
beans?

Well I googled in between football games, and found several interesting
entries. Apparently Kenuckians call a pot of pinto beans "soup beans,"
and feature them frequently at church potlucks and other community
events, seemingly always serving them with cornbread. Most of the
cooking entries I found are just like everybody else's pinto beans --
pintos, onion, maybe garlic, salt pork or bacon or ham hock. One guy's
approach claimed to be different -- he cooks them uncovered at a
rolling boil rather than a simmer for a lot longer than the normal
90-120 minutes, adding water as needed. Says it makes them darker and
tastier. -aem

Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

: pamjd wrote:
: wrote:
: pamjd wrote:
: Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
: a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
: sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
: very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
: while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
: beans?
:
:
: I never tried this. Do you brown the bacon first?
:
: No I soaked the beans for about 4 hours. cut up some chunks of bacon
: ends, I did trim off the big masses of lard, added btrown sugar, dry
: mustard, salt, and about a tablespoon of catsup. So easy and came out
: great. If they are too soupy after cooking I simmer them uncovered to
: reduce the broth. Good luck .

: How long did you cook it in the pressure cooker? I'm thinking no more
: than 8 minutes under pressure, then cool the pot immediately.

8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
elevation so cooking times are longer here.

8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...
Old 02-02-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 11:00 am, Omelet wrote:

: pamjd wrote:
: wrote:
: pamjd wrote:
[...]

I do 20 minutes for well soakedbeans.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I never made beans in the pressure cooker. I usually simmer till done
or put a pot in a slow oven. I think 20 minutes would be good for a
first effort. Thanks for saving me from a disaster.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
elevation so cooking times are longer here.

8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
--

do you need teeth?
8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks

otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies in the
instruction book and others are twice the time needed for a good pot of
beans.

joe
petersburg (50' above sea level) alaska

Old 03-02-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

just joe wrote:

8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
elevation so cooking times are longer here.

8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
--

do you need teeth?
8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks

otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies in the
instruction book and others are twice the time needed for a good pot of
beans.

joe
petersburg (50' above sea level) alaska

Now I'm confused.
8 minutes in a pressure cooker was my original thought, then someone
said 45 minutes. Another said 20.

I can't stand any food cooked into mush. I don't like exploded beans.
I like to chew my food.
Maybe I should disregard this thread.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"daveyj" wrote in
ups.com:

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html- Hide quoted

What a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I use a combination of beans and usually cook for 15 min.

I have a gallon jar that I mix 4-5 kinds of med. to large beans in.

I also usually put in a smoked pork hock or some chunks of bacon to
flavor and avoid foam. Great info.

pressure cooker elaine General Cooking 59 19-11-2006 12:04 AM
Kidney Beans (or pressure cooker) questions... Brablo General Cooking 19 17-11-2006 03:33 PM
Pressure cooker Eric Hanner Sourdough 5 19-05-2006 11:03 AM
REC Pressure Cooker beans Janet Bostwick General Cooking 3 13-09-2005 10:42 PM
I need a new pressure cooker Anne Duhon General Cooking 34 30-07-2004 02:51 PM