Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pressure cooker Beans and bacon

Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
beans?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
> a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
> sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
> very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
> while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
> beans?

I never tried this. Do you brown the bacon first?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

pamjd wrote:
> Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
> a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
> sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
> very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
> while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
> beans?

I've somehow missed Kentucky in my travels, but was there something
different about the "soup beans" other than the amount of liquid? I
mean, least liquid = beans, more liquid = soup beans, even more liquid
= bean soup? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

pamjd wrote:
> Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked up
> a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
> sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come out
> very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
> while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
> beans?

Well I googled in between football games, and found several interesting
entries. Apparently Kenuckians call a pot of pinto beans "soup beans,"
and feature them frequently at church potlucks and other community
events, seemingly always serving them with cornbread. Most of the
cooking entries I found are just like everybody else's pinto beans --
pintos, onion, maybe garlic, salt pork or bacon or ham hock. One guy's
approach claimed to be different -- he cooks them uncovered at a
rolling boil rather than a simmer for a lot longer than the normal
90-120 minutes, adding water as needed. Says it makes them darker and
tastier. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> : > > pamjd wrote:
> : > > > Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked
> : > > > up
> : > > > a pot of assorted dry beans and put them and some bacon ends, brown
> : > > > sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come
> : > > > out
> : > > > very yummy but not at all like the "Soup Beans" over corn bread I had
> : > > > while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
> : > > > beans?
> : > >
> : > >
> : > > I never tried this. Do you brown the bacon first?
> : >
> : > No I soaked the beans for about 4 hours. cut up some chunks of bacon
> : > ends, I did trim off the big masses of lard, added btrown sugar, dry
> : > mustard, salt, and about a tablespoon of catsup. So easy and came out
> : > great. If they are too soupy after cooking I simmer them uncovered to
> : > reduce the broth. Good luck .
>

> : How long did you cook it in the pressure cooker? I'm thinking no more
> : than 8 minutes under pressure, then cool the pot immediately.
>

> 8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
> they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
> elevation so cooking times are longer here.
>
> 8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 11:00 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:
>

> > : pamjd wrote:
> > : > wrote:
> > : > > pamjd wrote:
> > : > > > Local butcher had a good deal on double smoked bacon ends. I saoked
> > : > > > up
> > : > > > a pot of assorted drybeansand put them and some bacon ends, brown
> > : > > > sugar and dry mustard into the pressure cooker. These usually come
> > : > > > out
> > : > > > very yummy but not at all like the "SoupBeans" over corn bread I had
> > : > > > while visiting Kentucky. Anyone have a recipe for traditional "Soup
> > : > > >beans?
> > : > >
> > : > >
> > : > > I never tried this. Do you brown the bacon first?
> > : >
> > : > No I soaked thebeansfor about 4 hours. cut up some chunks of bacon
> > : > ends, I did trim off the big masses of lard, added btrown sugar, dry
> > : > mustard, salt, and about a tablespoon of catsup. So easy and came out
> > : > great. If they are too soupy after cooking I simmer them uncovered to
> > : > reduce the broth. Good luck .

> > : How long did you cook it in the pressure cooker? I'm thinking no more
> > : than 8 minutes under pressure, then cool the pot immediately.

> > 8 minutes??? I pressure cookbeansfor about 45 minutes and sometimes
> > they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
> > elevation so cooking times are longer here.

> > 8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

> I do 20 minutes for well soakedbeans.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

I never made beans in the pressure cooker. I usually simmer till done
or put a pot in a slow oven. I think 20 minutes would be good for a
first effort. Thanks for saving me from a disaster.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> 8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
>> they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
>> elevation so cooking times are longer here.
>>
>> 8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

> I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
> --

do you need teeth?
8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks

otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies in the
instruction book and others are twice the time needed for a good pot of
beans.

joe
petersburg (50' above sea level) alaska

Posted to rec.food.cooking

just joe wrote:

> >> 8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
> >> they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
> >> elevation so cooking times are longer here.
> >>
> >> 8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

> > I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
> > --

> do you need teeth?
> 8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks
>
> otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies in the
> instruction book and others are twice the time needed for a good pot of
> beans.
>
> joe
> petersburg (50' above sea level) alaska

Now I'm confused.
8 minutes in a pressure cooker was my original thought, then someone
said 45 minutes. Another said 20.

I can't stand any food cooked into mush. I don't like exploded beans.
I like to chew my food.
Maybe I should disregard this thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"daveyj" > wrote in
ups.com:

>> > I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
>> > --

>> do you need teeth?
>> 8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks
>>
>> otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies
>> in the instruction book and others are twice the time needed
>> for a good pot of beans.
>>
>> joe
>> petersburg (50' above sea level) alaska

> Now I'm confused.
> 8 minutes in a pressure cooker was my original thought, then
> someone said 45 minutes. Another said 20.
>
> I can't stand any food cooked into mush. I don't like exploded
> beans. I like to chew my food.
> Maybe I should disregard this thread.

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html- Hide quoted

What a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I use a combination of beans and usually cook for 15 min.

I have a gallon jar that I mix 4-5 kinds of med. to large beans in.

I also usually put in a smoked pork hock or some chunks of bacon to
flavor and avoid foam. Great info.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in
ps.com:

>> http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html- Hide
>> quoted

> What a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
>
> I use a combination of beans and usually cook for 15 min.
>
> I have a gallon jar that I mix 4-5 kinds of med. to large
> beans in.
>
> I also usually put in a smoked pork hock or some chunks of
> bacon to flavor and avoid foam. Great info.

All about beans too.
http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/beanframe.html

Yes, I agree. "Great site." I was happy to find it and share.
It says there are over 700 pressure cooker recipes there too.
http://missvickie.com/recipes/recipeframe.html
I'm going to check that out.

I love my pressure cookers!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03 Feb 2007 03:56:52 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>"daveyj" > wrote in
oups.com:

>>> do you need teeth?
>>> 8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks
>>>
>>> otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies
>>> in the instruction book and others are twice the time needed
>>> for a good pot of beans.
>>>
>>> joe
>>> petersburg (50' above sea level) alaska

>> Now I'm confused.
>> 8 minutes in a pressure cooker was my original thought, then
>> someone said 45 minutes. Another said 20.
>>
>> I can't stand any food cooked into mush. I don't like exploded
>> beans. I like to chew my food.
>> Maybe I should disregard this thread.

>http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html

Quite a range on those cooking times, but most of them sound
reasonable if you use the middle-ground time. I typically cook great
northerns, for example, for 6 minutes and use the quick-release
method. Beans are always cooked perfectly, no mush, no popped skins
all over the place. For larger beans like garbanzos, I'll use the
shorter cooking time, but let the pressure cooker release pressure
gradually.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 2, 7:47 pm, "daveyj" > wrote:

> Now I'm confused.
> 8 minutes in a pressure cooker was my original thought, then someone
> said 45 minutes. Another said 20.
>
> I can't stand any food cooked into mush. I don't like exploded beans.
> I like to chew my food.
> Maybe I should disregard this thread.

Or maybe you should disregard the pressure cooker, which doesn't allow
you to check things as they cook. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"just joe" > wrote in message

>>> 8 minutes??? I pressure cook beans for about 45 minutes and sometimes
>>> they still need a few more minutes. But then, I live at almost 7000'
>>> elevation so cooking times are longer here.
>>>
>>> 8 minutes isn't going to do a thing for 'em...

>> I do 20 minutes for well soaked beans.
>> --

> do you need teeth?
> 8 minutes for well soaked reds and 6 for soaked little blacks
>
> otherwise they blow up and turn to mush. all of the reccies in the
> instruction book and others are twice the time needed for a good pot of
> beans.

well you just figured out my husbands prefered bean texture. I make a good
pot of baked beans that still have just a tad give to them and he says they
are under cooked. I need to cook them to canned or he wont eat them. *sigh*

Tori