Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Arrival

Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book. I was
surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a full-blown,
off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I wonder if Amstel is
regretting conducting this promotional give-away.

No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.
> I was surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a
> full-blown, off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I wonder
> if Amstel is regretting conducting this promotional give-away.
>
> No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

BTW: Here's a picture of my copy so that those waiting can see what it looks
like.
http://i18.tinypic.com/49hnc03.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:05:18 -0800, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.
>> I was surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a
>> full-blown, off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I
>> wonder if Amstel is regretting conducting this promotional give-away.
>>
>> No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

> Not sure who else they shared the promotion with, but figure they
> and whoever else paid about 30% of cover price + shipping and
> administration costs. Which adds up.
>
> I'll buy a Heinie to make it up to them,. No Amstel for me.
>
> -sw (who used to work in the publishing-marketing business)

Thanks for the insight, Steve. Since I don't drinkf ETOH at all, they sure
didn't gain much outta me but my gratitude. If I ever start drinking, I'll
give their product a try.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:05:18 -0800, Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>>> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.
>>> I was surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a
>>> full-blown, off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I
>>> wonder if Amstel is regretting conducting this promotional give-away.
>>>
>>> No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

>> Not sure who else they shared the promotion with, but figure they
>> and whoever else paid about 30% of cover price + shipping and
>> administration costs. Which adds up.
>>
>> I'll buy a Heinie to make it up to them,. No Amstel for me.
>>
>> -sw (who used to work in the publishing-marketing business)

> Thanks for the insight, Steve. Since I don't drinkf ETOH at all, they sure
> didn't gain much outta me but my gratitude. If I ever start drinking, I'll
> give their product a try.

I got my book too. Hardcover "First US edition 2006". ?

In terms of beer, Heineken has been deskunked.
Amstel was Heineken Light, until Heineken Light appeared.
IMO.

--
Dave S

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.
> I was surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a
> full-blown, off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I wonder
> if Amstel is regretting conducting this promotional give-away.
>
> No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

Got mine today! Good timing, I need a book to read over the weekend

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed Kitchen Confidential... wonder if the
new book will be as enlightening?
KC has done the rounds of freinds & family... which reminds me, leant
it out last year and haven't got it back yet... hmmm!

For those of you who have received/read the tome, I look forward to
your comments, critiques ... might even buy a copy when /if it arrives
on our shores.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"
took me a while to actually trust restaurant dining after KC... be

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Jan 2007 19:56:49 -0800, "LadyJane"
> wrote:

>Must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed Kitchen Confidential... wonder if the
>new book will be as enlightening?
>KC has done the rounds of freinds & family... which reminds me, leant
>it out last year and haven't got it back yet... hmmm!
>
>For those of you who have received/read the tome, I look forward to
>your comments, critiques ... might even buy a copy when /if it arrives
>on our shores.

The Nasty Bits bears no resemblance to KC. I enjoyed it immensely.
Tony even admits that KC was in testosterone overdrive in the new
book! The Nasty Bits is a series of short bits, stories if you will,
but non-fiction (OK, there's a resemblance to KC!) A couple of the
stories didn't ring my bells and I skipped them -- probably my loss.
I love his writing style which is pretty much exactly as he speaks,
although his written vocab is considerably more impressive -- albeit
just as profane -- as his verbal. I just like him. YMMV, of course!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book. I was
>surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a full-blown,
>off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I wonder if Amstel is
>regretting conducting this promotional give-away.
>
>No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

I just found out that my son did not order the book for me. I am at a
loss to know who did. At any rate, I am very grateful to whoever it
was. I am enjoying it very much.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:
> Must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed Kitchen Confidential... wonder if the
> new book will be as enlightening?...
> For those of you who have received/read the tome, I look forward to
> your comments, critiques ... might even buy a copy when /if it arrives
> on our shores.

It's a compilation of his journalism. Very amusing.

--
Dave S

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg > wrote:

> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.

Ha! I got mine seven months ago, also for free, though a certain
someone had to buy it first. And mine is an autographed copy!

It is a good, well-written and enjoyable compilation, but one has to be
prepared to find a lot of repetitions from _Kitchen Confidential_ and
the _Cook's Tour_.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Dave Bugg > wrote:
>
>> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.

> Ha! I got mine seven months ago, also for free, though a certain
> someone had to buy it first. And mine is an autographed copy!
>
> It is a good, well-written and enjoyable compilation, but one has to
> be prepared to find a lot of repetitions from _Kitchen Confidential_
> and the _Cook's Tour_.
>
> Victor

I read Kitchen Confidential but not The Cook's Tour so I'm sure I'll enjoy
it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg > wrote:
>Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book. I was
>surprised that instead of a soft cover volume, this was a full-blown,
>off-the -shelf quality, jacketed hardbound book. I wonder if Amstel is
>regretting conducting this promotional give-away.
>
>No matter. Sometimes there *is* such a thing as a free lunch :-)

I got mine today.

I'd totally forgotten I'd asked for it.

I read the envelope and thought it was some sort of
book-club come-on.

Then I opened it and said "why is Tony Bourdain sending
me his book?"

And what Amstel needs to do is get their beer on more
taps in town. I'm tired of all the Sam Adams taking
up valuable real estate with their dishwater.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:
>Dave Bugg > wrote:
>
>> Add me to the list of those who've finally received Bourdain's book.

>Ha! I got mine seven months ago, also for free, though a certain
>someone had to buy it first. And mine is an autographed copy!
>
>It is a good, well-written and enjoyable compilation, but one has to be
>prepared to find a lot of repetitions from _Kitchen Confidential_ and
>the _Cook's Tour_.

That won't bother me, as I didn't read either of those.

What bothers me is that I bought a post-new-year's
sale-priced The New Yorker Cartoon desk calendar, and
about 70% of the toons were in last year's.

At 60% off, I'm still paying more per new cartoon!

--Blair
"I should write a letter."